The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

TORONTO: Strip Clubs set to recruit high-school girls

key2thecup

All depends on how you take nudity, Western citizity has a hard time separating sexuality and nudity, well Europeans on the most part take nudity as just someone naked.

If you want to work your ass off like most people thinking it's honest work ( really just being a sheep) then good for you. If I had the body and face to strip and make close to a thousand dollar a night or work my ass off at a mill for a thousand dollar a week, I would choose to strip.

You tell me who has more brains the person welling to work a couple hours a night showing off their body(which is not much different than going to the beach or seeing the tiny speedos male swimmers wear) and making more than a regular full time job or the person stupid enough to be the full time slave.

So what if the human body is 'commodified'? The labour from the human body has been 'commodified' for milleniums. What's the difference between being a lingerie model and a stripper, 'ethically' speaking?

Capitalism seeks to commodify everything, but I personally think that people should be off limits; I am against the selling of persons, and/or the selling of parts of persons-- this includes their sexuality. What makes you think that I don't find the selling of sexuality ethically wrong in any form-- lingerie or stripper?

And are we really in a patriarchal society as much as we used to be? Women are increasingly asserting their equal place in the home, in art, in general society, in business, in academia, in almost every professional setter and elsewhere else in between.

Did I make some kind of chronological reference in my previous post about society being more or less patriarchal than before? No, I did not, and also, your question is quite vague; how far back are we going-- 30, 50, 100 years, or a couple of millennia? I will attempt to play along anyway. In some ways we are just as patriarchal as we once were (assuming, you're going back approx. 50 years); in others ways things have improved considerably. Sexism today within society-- as with racism-- is more implicit, and more insidious at times, rather than being overt, as it was before. Is that better or an improvement from before?

What larger social problems are you talking about? And how would choosing to be a stripper fit in? Are you saying it would lead to more problems or are a by-product of a patriarchal society? I'm not really sure what you're getting at there.

My point is, just because you can sell it, does not necessarily mean you need to. Stripping exists in an inherently chauvinistic environment, and consequently, it allows for the worse kind of objectification, and generally lewd behaviour in men to come to the surface. Also, it is not a massive leap to say that often this is an extension of how men view themselves, view women, and/or the role of women in this world; the strip club environment simply amplifies it. Finally, it is safe to assume that this attitude has some adverse affect on society-- directly or indirectly. Do you want me to tell you how it does exactly? Well, I'm not a sociologist, or a behavioural expert, so I cannot say, but chances are, the effects are probably very diverse.

As a heterosexual man, and having been to strip clubs before, I can only speak to some of the things I have seen in clubs staffed by female dancers. I have seen men do all kinds of ridiculous things, but by far the worse was a group of guys who were tossing small change at the stripper, laughing at her, and berating her. Granted this is a single example, and these guys were probably extra-special douches, but it is nonetheless, not a significant departure from the way men behave, in general.

Actually yes, if you ask me 16 is pretty young for people to be allowed to get more than an L. As for drinking that was part of my point, they can't legally drink or frequent a bar so they shouldn't be working in one.

Thank you for bringing real substance to this thread. It is shocking that 4 pages in, nobody else has thought of using the exact hypothetical situation.

I would like to add two things:

1. Generally speaking, 18-year olds are fracking stupid-- that applies to boys and girls (or if you prefer, men and women, legally speaking). The lure of easy money might be too great a temptation, resulting in many wanting to go into stripping, but then I say, so what? The act of stripping in itself is not really big deal; I think the implied assertion here is that many feel stripping is associated with other bad things. If that is true, I would need to see some kind of data that suggests that stripping is some kind of "gateway" activity to worse bahaviour down the road; this data will be have something more substantial than citing your favourite movies, Showgirls and Striptease.

2. My problem with stripping-- male or female of any age-- is not moral but instead ethical, because it commodifies the human body. For women especially, this is a serious issue in a patriarchal society, as it is often a source of much larger-scale social problems.

Good point. Thus the 21 age requirement.

Very few women are hot enough to become strippers. In that sense it really is an honor . To me its the same as modelling. I think hot models turn me on as much as a naked woman can sometimes.

Victoria secret can vouch for this.

If my daughter did something as simple as strip off her clothes to make 1000 bucks a day, I would not only be proud of her I would be asking for a cut !!!!!

........your mother was in labour with you for 486 hours ..............buy us a new flat screen. :)

This guilt works every time.

Good point. Thus the 21 age requirement.

Very few women are hot enough to become strippers. In that sense it really is an honor . To me its the same as modelling. I think hot models turn me on as much as a naked woman can sometimes.

Victoria secret can vouch for this.

If my daughter did something as simple as strip off her clothes to make 1000 bucks a day, I would not only be proud of her I would be asking for a cut !!!!!

........your mother was in labour with you for 486 hours ..............buy us a new flat screen. :)

This guilt works every time.

Archived