The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mike Gillis Co-Hosting Team 1040 from 11-1

arsenalian

I'm starting to think Gillis will make an excuse for anything to cover his butt.

Sorry, but he had a chance to get one of the best defenseman in the NHL and he couldn't pull the trigger. Just accept it and move on, don't make excuses.

I'm starting to think Gillis will make an excuse for anything to cover his butt.

Sorry, but he had a chance to get one of the best defenseman in the NHL and he couldn't pull the trigger. Just accept it and move on, don't make excuses.

No he didn't. Are you forgetting Weber is an RFA. Philly hasn't reeled him in either, Nashville will probably match and lock him up. What makes you think Nashville wouldn't match any offer Vancouver threw at him. Also Weber met w/ him for 3 hours, so what more is he supposed to do?

Well if he had sent him an off sheet first, his choice would be to sign it or stay in Nashville.

Your telling me he wouldn't play for the Canucks if we offered to sign him? I don't buy that.

My guess is Gillis just wasn't willing to pay him what it would have taken to get him here. Philly was, and now there's a good chance they'll get him.

Well if he had sent him an off sheet first, his choice would be to sign it or stay in Nashville.

Your telling me he wouldn't play for the Canucks if we offered to sign him? I don't buy that.

My guess is Gillis just wasn't willing to pay him what it would have taken to get him here. Philly was, and now there's a good chance they'll get him.

Holy crap, do you have anything up there in that noggin? Try, just try, to think this through. He's not making excuses. It's Weber's choice where HE plays and he got very enticing offers from other teams. It's nowhere near a failure that Gillis didn't land Weber.

Bunch of whiney Gillis lovers in here.

Gillis had a chance to make a bold move, and he couldn't get it done. Now he's making an excuse. That deserves some amount of criticism, whether you like to admit it or not.

Meeting with a player, and actually making an offer are two different things. It sounds like he thought Nashville would match for sure, so he planned to offer him a 1 year offer sheet so that he would remain in Nashville until he was a free agent. It didn't work, and now he missed out.

I think I should be allowed to criticize our GM when he doesn't get things done. This doesn't always have to be a Gillis love fest.

I just don't like how he has to publicly explain himself like this. Like when he threw Hodgson under the bus at the end of the season. Some things just don't need to be said.

People need to get over it, just because a guy is from BC, doesn't mean he's going to sign here or that it's his first option once he's free to sign. The amount of pressure and the amount of travel scares away a lot of guys. It even scared guys like Sakic away. Why would he come to Vancouver after winning absolutely everything there is to win and proving himself, just to have to prove himself all over again for the home province fans... same idea with Niedermayer.

Weber had the option of signing a 12 year offer sheet with Philly for 100's of millions, it's probably the last contract of it's kind once the new CBA kicks in.

Bunch of whiney Gillis lovers in here.

Gillis had a chance to make a bold move, and he couldn't get it done. Now he's making an excuse. That deserves some amount of criticism, whether you like to admit it or not.

Meeting with a player, and actually making an offer are two different things. It sounds like he thought Nashville would match for sure, so he planned to offer him a 1 year offer sheet so that he would remain in Nashville until he was a free agent. It didn't work, and now he missed out.

I think I should be allowed to criticize our GM when he doesn't get things done. This doesn't always have to be a Gillis love fest.

We're not the ones sounding whiny here...just saying. He did make an offer, it was 1 year, so that if Nashville matches he's UFA next year. He believes Nashville will match any offer, and part of it has to do w/ the new CBA coming in. I'm not a Gillis apologist, but I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt on this one, and assume he has his ear closer to the NHL, and what Poile is thinking saying, than fans on this board.

If Gillis offers something even close to what Philly offered, Weber signs it and could potentially be a Canuck in 3 days.

What makes you assume Philly was his first choice? He went there because they offered him the most money. Sure Nashville might match, but there's also a chance they don't

I just don't like how he has to publicly explain himself like this. Like when he threw Hodgson under the bus at the end of the season. Some things just don't need to be said.

And why in his right mind would Weber sign a 1 year deal to become UFA next year when he's got a 100 million dollar deal in from of him? By the time he became UFA, he would not have the same kind of deal to sign because of the new CBA - he would've lost boat loads of money on it.

Archived