221 replies to this topic

#151 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,639 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:32 PM

I wonder what Philly's gonna do if they don't get Weber.

They already missed out on Nash, so who do they target next?

If Holmgrem was willing to pay that much for Weber, I'm afraid what he'll offer if he suddenly sets his sights on Doan.

Edited by DeNiro, 23 July 2012 - 02:33 PM.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#152 Goal:thecup

Goal:thecup

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:35 PM

When does the league rule on the validity of the Weber offer sheet/contract?
Is it before or after Nashville decides whether or not to match?

#153 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:42 PM

Right or worng, it sounds to me Gillis is saying we will stay the course on the team we have.

Well for me it is wrong. We stood back last year while everyone improved and apart from Garrison, who could be an unknown quantity in this team we are doing it again this year. I am beginning to doubt more and more what MG tells us about the qualities of the players he brings in.

He always paints an exaggeratedly rosy picture.
We need to start bringing some known quality in and while I appreciate it is early days I get a sense of deja vu about all this.

The way I see it if no one wants to come here then the last thing we need is to have some internal hometown or whatever cap. Vancouver is a huge market but we seem to shop in the nickel and dime stores.
Kevin.jpg

#154 Canuck919191

Canuck919191

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:50 PM

I wonder what Philly's gonna do if they don't get Weber.

They already missed out on Nash, so who do they target next?

If Holmgrem was willing to pay that much for Weber, I'm afraid what he'll offer if he suddenly sets his sights on Doan.

Bobby Ryan.

#155 shadowgoon

shadowgoon

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:56 PM

Bunch of whiney Gillis lovers in here.

Gillis had a chance to make a bold move, and he couldn't get it done. Now he's making an excuse. That deserves some amount of criticism, whether you like to admit it or not.

Meeting with a player, and actually making an offer are two different things. It sounds like he thought Nashville would match for sure, so he planned to offer him a 1 year offer sheet so that he would remain in Nashville until he was a free agent. It didn't work, and now he missed out.

I think I should be allowed to criticize our GM when he doesn't get things done. This doesn't always have to be a Gillis love fest.

What you said here makes absolutely no sense, you basically contradicted yourself. On the one hand you explain the situation fairly succinctly, and then go on to vilify him for "missing out". Weber was not a UFA, so there was nothing to "miss out" on. In fact the strategy Gillis employed was the only correct one, to offer a 1 year sheet, Nashville matches taking him off the market (even to trade until 1 year from the day (July 23rd, 2013) which would have taken Weber off the market until July 1 when he would have become UFA.

It's not Gillis' fault that Weber chased the money, it's pretty evident that had Weber wanted Vancouver as much as Vancouver wanted Weber, he likely would have signed the 1 year offer sheet forcing Nashville to match. The offset to that would have been potentially less money should there be any significant change to the new CBA with regard to long term contracts.

Gillis did all he could do in this situation, the rest was entirely up to Weber. Philly was not the only offer sheet tendered, it was the only one signed.

Edited by Shadowgoon, 23 July 2012 - 02:56 PM.

#156 The-Impersonator

The-Impersonator

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,727 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:59 PM

Just like how you're ramblings are always so correct right?

Sekeres sports knowledge is a 1 out of 1000. They guys actually implied once that Michael Jordan road shotgun to Pippen.

#157 The-Impersonator

The-Impersonator

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,727 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 03:03 PM

What you said here makes absolutely no sense, you basically contradicted yourself. On the one hand you explain the situation fairly succinctly, and then go on to vilify him for "missing out". Weber was not a UFA, so there was nothing to "miss out" on. In fact the strategy Gillis employed was the only correct one, to offer a 1 year sheet, Nashville matches taking him off the market (even to trade until 1 year from the day (July 23rd, 2013) which would have taken Weber off the market until July 1 when he would have become UFA.

It's not Gillis' fault that Weber chased the money, it's pretty evident that had Weber wanted Vancouver as much as Vancouver wanted Weber, he likely would have signed the 1 year offer sheet forcing Nashville to match. The offset to that would have been potentially less money should there be any significant change to the new CBA with regard to long term contracts.

Gillis did all he could do in this situation, the rest was entirely up to Weber. Philly was not the only offer sheet tendered, it was the only one signed.

How did do all he could? He didn't put out and offer sheet did he? So he didn't all he had the power to do. To say Nashville would automatically match is backing out...what if they didn't? He have arguably the best D-Man in the league on his team and poised to challege for the cup. It's like saying your not going to ask out Minka Kelly because you know she'll say no? What if by chance she said yes?

#158 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 03:05 PM

Sadly I think winning the President's trophy again was a bad thing. Too much incentive for Gillis to stay the same even though we had serious weaknesses in the playoffs.

Yes locking Schneider up (although 3 years isn't great), is a good thing. It's not like he had a choice. Luongo publicly said he wants out, so now Gillis has to make that move.

Garrison is a great addition, but not that much better than Salo as far making us a stronger team.

Right now alot hinges on getting Doan, otherwise we could be going into next season, with more or less the same team. Which is not the same caliber team that made it to game 7.

Totally agree.

We were horrible in all but a handful of games last season. Everyone (including me) thought we were, in some way "pacing" ourselves for the SC. If anything we got worse.

We were not helped by AV's musical chairs shenanigans with the defensive line either nor the waste of time spent on Gragnani.

We did have injuries and players coming off injuries. Players like Bieksa and Edler seemed shadows of the previous year. We need a couple of game changers. Guys who can make things happen even when the opposition attempt to intimidate us. I think we will miss Salo AND Rome. The players we signed Joslin and Mullen appear to be destined for Chicago.

I think Gillis made a blunder with the Garrison deal personally. That deal should have gone towards getting a 1st line player (leaving aside Doan, who I am not confident about) Our offence 5 on 5 is weak and I think that more than anything caused us to look bad last season, even though we were eking out wins.

MG seems unfocussed to me. He seems to lose sight of what the team needs. Weber was a long shot for coming here and he shouldn't have wasted so much time on him.
Kevin.jpg

#159 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,639 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 03:05 PM

Well for me it is wrong. We stood back last year while everyone improved and apart from Garrison, who could be an unknown quantity in this team we are doing it again this year. I am beginning to doubt more and more what MG tells us about the qualities of the players he brings in.

He always paints an exaggeratedly rosy picture.
We need to start bringing some known quality in and while I appreciate it is early days I get a sense of deja vu about all this.

The way I see it if no one wants to come here then the last thing we need is to have some internal hometown or whatever cap. Vancouver is a huge market but we seem to shop in the nickel and dime stores.

Well sometimes the best moves are the subtle ones.

Trading for Ballard, signing Hamhuis, Signing Torres, and signing Malhotra were all small to medium moves that set us up for a cup run.

Last season we didn't do enough in the summer to help us for the playoffs. We traded Samuelsson for Booth which was a good trade that didn't fully work out. And then obviously Hodgson for Kassian, which also didn't work out. It got us another president's trophy, but a first round exit.

This offseason so far we've filled the hole that was left by Salo, and hopefully the hole left by Ehrhoff's powerplay quarterbacking abilities. But we've still got the third line center, and a top 6 winger position to fill, plus a depth defenseman. So really not that far off from what we needed to do before the 09/10 season.

A combo of Garrison, Doan, and a whatever third line center and depth defenseman we can get in a trade would be a great offseason that would put us back in serious contention.

Posted Image

#160 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 03:08 PM

How did do all he could? He didn't put out and offer sheet did he? So he didn't all he had the power to do. To say Nashville would automatically match is backing out...what if they didn't? He have arguably the best D-Man in the league on his team and poised to challege for the cup. It's like saying your not going to ask out Minka Kelly because you know she'll say no? What if by chance she said yes?

Yeh but seriously, we know she'd say no. :)
Kevin.jpg

#161 Pistachios

Pistachios

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 03:11 PM

I'm starting to think Gillis will make an excuse for anything to cover his butt.

Sorry, but he had a chance to get one of the best defenseman in the NHL and he couldn't pull the trigger. Just accept it and move on, don't make excuses.

And you sound like the type of person who feels entitled to everything. Quit feeling sorry for yourself.
lZqI3g.gif

#162 Pistachios

Pistachios

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 03:15 PM

Garrison is a great addition, but not that much better than Salo as far making us a stronger team.

The guy hasn't even played a game yet and you already know how the team is going to perform next season? Typical armchair cynic...

Edited by SILLY GOOSE, 23 July 2012 - 03:16 PM.

lZqI3g.gif

#163 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 03:19 PM

When does the league rule on the validity of the Weber offer sheet/contract?
Is it before or after Nashville decides whether or not to match?

Good question.I am assuming since they have said nothing its because the offer sheet inst an actual contract yet. It will be either in the Flyers or the Predators name by Wednesday at 11pm
Posted Image

#164 shadowgoon

shadowgoon

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 03:20 PM

Tending an offer sheet is not public. That information is undisclosed to the public and is solely between the team making the offer and the player's agent. Once the player decides to sign an offer sheet, the information then goes public as a call has to be made to the NHL head office to make the offer official, far as I can tell anyway.

Anyway, unless one of the parties involved care to disclose the information to the public we will never know who actually tendered offers and who didn't. My guess is probably half a dozen teams with the means tendered offer sheets, Philly's just happened to be the most lucrative. Just tendering an offer sheet doesn't automatically guarantee anything, but the fact that Philly's was/is so front loaded is what creates concern for Nashville.

At this point it's about assessing the long term viability depending on your options. My guess is Nashville doesn't match, trades a couple of the 1st rounders they get for roster players back from Philly in a separate deal and uses the others as trading chips to bolster the rest of their roster moving forward.

Edited by Shadowgoon, 23 July 2012 - 03:21 PM.

#165 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,639 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 03:32 PM

The guy hasn't even played a game yet and you already know how the team is going to perform next season? Typical armchair cynic...

Salo put up 25 points in 69 games last season and was arguably one of our most consistent D-men.

To think that Garrison is going to be that much better than him is unrealistic. Common sense would tell you that. ;)

Posted Image

#166 Shoreline74

Shoreline74

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 04:00 PM

Gillis went hard after Weber from July 1st on. Had a 3hr meeting with him in Kelowna, and discussed everything possible.

That's all you can ask from your GM, proud fan.

At least we know he tried hard for us. That's all I wanted.

#167 shadowgoon

shadowgoon

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 04:01 PM

Salo put up 25 points in 69 games last season and was arguably one of our most consistent D-men.

To think that Garrison is going to be that much better than him is unrealistic. Common sense would tell you that. ;)

What this tells me is that you don't have a clue on what you're talking about.

#168 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,639 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 04:04 PM

What this tells me is that you don't have a clue on what you're talking about.

Just stating facts buddy, and I'm not the only one on here that felt the same way.

Salo was a rock for us. Too bad people like you don't give him enough respect though.

Posted Image

#169 Super_Canuck

Super_Canuck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 04:10 PM

I'm not the biggest gillis fan, but I think he came across a lot better today on the radio then his usual cocky, arrogant self. He was pretty open about all his answers. I hope this is a sign of change for him to just chill out sometimes n have some fun

#170 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,331 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 04:17 PM

Very well written Elvis . You are definitely the KING

I see what you did there...

Although I admit I didn't put the connection together from the other thread based on his username.

Well we'll never know that because Gillis was only willing to offer a 1 year contract.

Obviously if he was willing to meet with Gillis in person for 3 hours, he had some amount of interest.

Bu hey, if Nashville matches, I will apologize for what I said. And I'll even put "Gillis is smarter than me" in my sig for the rest of the season.

It's not even that people posting here have to admit they were wrong, I'd be interested to see people accept the possibility alone. You've done that but others chalk it up as an unequivocal failure saying there would have been no risk whatsoever by doing so.

Also, I'd have to think they didn't just discuss a one year deal during that whole three hours as well, and at least broached the idea of longer term and more money. There are people smart enough here to realize that, again including yourself, but it amazes me how many don't.

I still don't understand that move.

It's one thing to wanna hold onto an asset, but he genuinely sounds like he plans on Raymond coming back.

Raymond must really be liked in the locker room for him to hold onto him after such a poor season.

I think he is 100% willing to give him a chance, although I agree that the other options we could have at wing certainly seem to make more sense. Kassian maybe makig the top 6 to start the year, and Doan on the radar all but mean Raymond's out as he'd end up as a 4th liner or 13th forward.

Maybe we can afford that if we don't overspend elsewhere, and he'd be excellent from a depth perspective, but it's also important to note we can't overlook his connection with Garrison. He helped bring Garrison in so in the least it wouldn't look good to get rid of him right after.

Agreed that Garrison isn't going to be an obvious improvement over what Salo would have brought, but Salo was asking for too much. In the end, Salo got a higher cap hit than he's ever had on an over 35 contract, and we got a player who is at least more physical without being a downgrade anywhere else yet is 10 years younger.

This will pay off more as each year goes by, although it would have been nice to have Salo in he 3rd pairing role like we wanted him last year.

EDIT: not to pick on you with all the quotes, but I think you do have some valid points even though I don't agree with a number of your opinions.

Edited by elvis15, 23 July 2012 - 04:18 PM.

schroedersig2_by_elvis15-d5szksn.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#171 shadowgoon

shadowgoon

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 04:37 PM

Just stating facts buddy, and I'm not the only one on here that felt the same way.

Salo was a rock for us. Too bad people like you don't give him enough respect though.

You want facts? Here are the "Facts"

Salo is at present 37 years old and has almost every conceivable injury a player could likely receive in his career, you have to wonder how much tread was left on the tires. At the two year term he wanted there was too much risk for a team such as the Canucks who are always spending to cap, not to mention Salo's point production while hasn't been on decline has at least been hampered by the fact he only plays 73% (roughly) on average of every season.

Here is a handy illustration to prove my point:

Posted Image

Garrison is at present 27 years old, 10 years younger and just had a break out season. It's been proven that defencemen always take longer to mature into impact players and he is just hitting his stride, not to mention his offensive production is trending upwards. I am perfectly happy with Garrison @ 4.6 x 6 if he can level off point production in the low 40's, and provides the physical two way play he is known for and has a more consistent presence on the roster.

#172 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 04:47 PM

Salo is at present 37 years old and has almost every conceivable injury a player could likely receive in his career, you have to wonder how much tread was left on the tires. At the two year term he wanted there was too much risk for a team such as the Canucks who are always spending to cap, not to mention Salo's point production while hasn't been on decline has at least been hampered by the fact he only plays 73% (roughly) on average of every season.

Posted Image

Garrison is at present 27 years old, 10 years younger and just had a break out season. It's been proven that defencemen always take longer to mature into impact players and he is just hitting his stride, not to mention his offensive production is trending upwards. I am perfectly happy with Garrison @ 4.6 x 6 if he can level off point production in the low 40's, and provides the physical two way play he is known for and has a more consistent presence on the roster.

lol. There is going the extra mile for a post and then there is going the extra mile. :lol:
Posted Image

#173 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 04:57 PM

If Gillis offers something even close to what Philly offered, Weber signs it and could potentially be a Canuck in 3 days.

What makes you assume Philly was his first choice? He went there because they offered him the most money. Sure Nashville might match, but there's also a chance they don't

I just don't like how he has to publicly explain himself like this. Like when he threw Hodgson under the bus at the end of the season. Some things just don't need to be said.

Actually Weber's agent said MG made an excellent presentation but they wanted to go with Philly. It made more sense to them.

I'm on iPhone so can't post link but will try to when I get home later, unless someone else will by then.

#174 shadowgoon

shadowgoon

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:00 PM

lol. There is going the extra mile for a post and then there is going the extra mile. :lol:

I should note that I'm not claiming ownership of that image, it was left unaltered from the original source. It was found using google image search, I had seen it in a previous post though quite a while ago.

#175 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,639 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:03 PM

Posted Image

Nice diagram. Sorry you had to waste your time with that.

It still has nothing to do with last season, which was the only season I was talking about.

Thanks for coming out though.

Posted Image

#176 hockeystar

hockeystar

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:09 PM

ya i love how gillis is still under the illusion that luongo will play here... Gillis is full of it.... we all know dam well that luongo basically told everyone that he wanted to be traded and who the hell would want a goalie here that doesn't want to be here.... just a little political response from gillis... I really don't like him.
Posted Image

#177 Monteeun

Monteeun

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,062 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:09 PM

I should note that I'm not claiming ownership of that image, it was left unaltered from the original source. It was found using google image search, I had seen it in a previous post though quite a while ago.

nonetheless...

~clap clap clap~

BAD MOVE!!!

BAD FING MOVE

HAHAHA ANOTHER INJURED MORON ON OUR TEAM

HE WILL JOIN US IN 2019

Benning will be fired next year. Hope he enjoys screwing around for a few months. I just cant believe this. Another injured BC player. We just got rid of garrison. Seems like the canucks and linden just wanted any BC born player. Doesn't matter if hes good or not. We don't need another Linden to get us to game 7 of the Stanley cup and lose. We need someone to win us a cup.

5 million a year for Vrbata? 6 million for Miller? Kesler for Bonino and 24th instead of 10th pick or one of their top prospects? Garrison for scraps?

ive already lost faith in JB. Ive never EVER had this bad of a feeling about management.

#178 Monteeun

Monteeun

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,062 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:10 PM

Nice diagram. Sorry you had to waste your time with that.

It still has nothing to do with last season, which was the only season I was talking about.

Thanks for coming out though.

lol, wow, talk about full of crap.

BAD MOVE!!!

BAD FING MOVE

HAHAHA ANOTHER INJURED MORON ON OUR TEAM

HE WILL JOIN US IN 2019

Benning will be fired next year. Hope he enjoys screwing around for a few months. I just cant believe this. Another injured BC player. We just got rid of garrison. Seems like the canucks and linden just wanted any BC born player. Doesn't matter if hes good or not. We don't need another Linden to get us to game 7 of the Stanley cup and lose. We need someone to win us a cup.

5 million a year for Vrbata? 6 million for Miller? Kesler for Bonino and 24th instead of 10th pick or one of their top prospects? Garrison for scraps?

ive already lost faith in JB. Ive never EVER had this bad of a feeling about management.

#179 Sedinry

Sedinry

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:18 PM

Gillis needs to get Doan,
If not though, than Versteeg + a few other players from Florida for Luongo will do.

#180 PaulKariyaALH

PaulKariyaALH

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:20 PM

Corrado might make the Canucks but Wesley Myron might not even make the Wolves :sadno:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.