The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mike Gillis Co-Hosting Team 1040 from 11-1

arsenalian

The tendency for teams to trade stars outside their conference is often overlooked. Thornton to SJ. Heatley to SJ. Nash to NYR. Smyth to NYI. Richards to LA. Carter to CBJ. Ribeiro to WSH. Buff to ATL. etc. Not all the time, but generally, teams and players rarely want to face their old teams often.

On that note, Weber was never going to be 'allowed' to go to Vancouver, Detroit or any other western team rival that could really use him.

GM's know this as well as players. This is why Philly made the offer and why Weber signed it.

They did. He said they definitely want to get bigger and stronger but players like that are hard to come by, and teams aren't giving them away. He thinks Kassian will make an impact this year, but they're still looking to get bigger and stronger, and that's why they're targeting Doan. They'll also be looking at any other possibilites as they come along, but unfortunately this year there isn't a lot on the market, and teams aren't just parting w/ those players. He says next years crop of FAs have a lot more options.

People forget there's other teams in this league and there's more than one set of options available for a player. After any GM makes their pitch it's the player that chooses. To infer Gillis doesn't do enough to get a player is extreme. We have no idea what is even said between parties. Lets remember Vancouver media does speculate in print. that usually fires up a whole lot of nothing.

I see Gillis making a trade past a Luongo trade. God forbid if Gillis moved Burrows.

I wonder what Philly's gonna do if they don't get Weber.

They already missed out on Nash, so who do they target next?

If Holmgrem was willing to pay that much for Weber, I'm afraid what he'll offer if he suddenly sets his sights on Doan.

Bunch of whiney Gillis lovers in here.

Gillis had a chance to make a bold move, and he couldn't get it done. Now he's making an excuse. That deserves some amount of criticism, whether you like to admit it or not.

Meeting with a player, and actually making an offer are two different things. It sounds like he thought Nashville would match for sure, so he planned to offer him a 1 year offer sheet so that he would remain in Nashville until he was a free agent. It didn't work, and now he missed out.

I think I should be allowed to criticize our GM when he doesn't get things done. This doesn't always have to be a Gillis love fest.

What you said here makes absolutely no sense, you basically contradicted yourself. On the one hand you explain the situation fairly succinctly, and then go on to vilify him for "missing out". Weber was not a UFA, so there was nothing to "miss out" on. In fact the strategy Gillis employed was the only correct one, to offer a 1 year sheet, Nashville matches taking him off the market (even to trade until 1 year from the day (July 23rd, 2013) which would have taken Weber off the market until July 1 when he would have become UFA.

It's not Gillis' fault that Weber chased the money, it's pretty evident that had Weber wanted Vancouver as much as Vancouver wanted Weber, he likely would have signed the 1 year offer sheet forcing Nashville to match. The offset to that would have been potentially less money should there be any significant change to the new CBA with regard to long term contracts.

Gillis did all he could do in this situation, the rest was entirely up to Weber. Philly was not the only offer sheet tendered, it was the only one signed.

Sadly I think winning the President's trophy again was a bad thing. Too much incentive for Gillis to stay the same even though we had serious weaknesses in the playoffs.

Yes locking Schneider up (although 3 years isn't great), is a good thing. It's not like he had a choice. Luongo publicly said he wants out, so now Gillis has to make that move.

Garrison is a great addition, but not that much better than Salo as far making us a stronger team.

Right now alot hinges on getting Doan, otherwise we could be going into next season, with more or less the same team. Which is not the same caliber team that made it to game 7.

Well for me it is wrong. We stood back last year while everyone improved and apart from Garrison, who could be an unknown quantity in this team we are doing it again this year. I am beginning to doubt more and more what MG tells us about the qualities of the players he brings in.

He always paints an exaggeratedly rosy picture.

We need to start bringing some known quality in and while I appreciate it is early days I get a sense of deja vu about all this.

The way I see it if no one wants to come here then the last thing we need is to have some internal hometown or whatever cap. Vancouver is a huge market but we seem to shop in the nickel and dime stores.

How did do all he could? He didn't put out and offer sheet did he? So he didn't all he had the power to do. To say Nashville would automatically match is backing out...what if they didn't? He have arguably the best D-Man in the league on his team and poised to challege for the cup. It's like saying your not going to ask out Minka Kelly because you know she'll say no? What if by chance she said yes?

Archived