Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * - - 1 votes

Mike Gillis Co-Hosting Team 1040 from 11-1

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
221 replies to this topic

#211 nucklehead2

nucklehead2

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:45 PM

You want facts? Here are the "Facts"

Salo is at present 37 years old and has almost every conceivable injury a player could likely receive in his career, you have to wonder how much tread was left on the tires. At the two year term he wanted there was too much risk for a team such as the Canucks who are always spending to cap, not to mention Salo's point production while hasn't been on decline has at least been hampered by the fact he only plays 73% (roughly) on average of every season.

Here is a handy illustration to prove my point:

Posted Image

Garrison is at present 27 years old, 10 years younger and just had a break out season. It's been proven that defencemen always take longer to mature into impact players and he is just hitting his stride, not to mention his offensive production is trending upwards. I am perfectly happy with Garrison @ 4.6 x 6 if he can level off point production in the low 40's, and provides the physical two way play he is known for and has a more consistent presence on the roster.

the FACTS are if you have ever been to a canucks game you would see that Salo was probably the hardest working defenceman on the ice and is very valuable despite his age and injury history

#212 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,572 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:45 AM

Well we do have Bobby Luongo locked down at a 5.3 million cap hit for ten more years AND the consensus 28 or 29 best prospect group in the NHL.

At least that's something!

th_1435408476_c985b0ec75_zps489544ad.jpg

#213 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,008 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:12 AM

the FACTS are if you have ever been to a canucks game you would see that Salo was probably the hardest working defenceman on the ice and is very valuable despite his age and injury history

Facts or opinion? What "facts" can you provide that Salo is our "hardest working" d-man? In my "opinion" it would be easier to make that claim for Hamhuis and Bieksa. Both play against the oppositions top players, both play physical, both log the most "tough minutes" and yet both produce offensively.

Here's some facts for you in comparison to Garrison:

Salo 11/12
Games: 69
Goals: 9
Assists: 16
Hits: 29
Blk Shots: 77
Give aways: 35
Take aways: 23
Shot %: 6.6

Average ice time per game:
Even: 15:22
PP: 2:45
PK: 2:19

Garrison 11/12
Games: 77
Goals: 16
Assists: 17
Hits: 127
Blk Shots: 124
Give aways: 30
Take aways: 20
Shot %: 9.5

Even: 18:35
PP: 2:31
PK: 2:34

Those are facts. I'm not sure how anybody could call Garrison in place of Salo a status quo. Garrison can obviously log big minutes in all situations. Judging by the block shots, he's good positionally and plays physical to boot. Plus he has a big shot. I'd say we got an upgrade based on the stats.

In addition what elite players did he have to set up in Florida? Playing behind the Sedins it's virtually given his assists will increase. Time will tell but I believe MG scored a good one. Those are opinions.
Posted Image

#214 shadowgoon

shadowgoon

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:11 AM

I'm not even going to bother quoting your drivel bigturks8, the fact that you continually lock in on the "points" as the primary reasoning for your and DeNiro's arguing just shows how asinine your logic is and how narrow sighted your knowledge of hockey is. Garrison is by far a much greater all around player than Salo in addition to having higher point totals last night. It is the sum difference of the tangibles that Garrison brings vs Salo that makes this a better hockey club next season.

Baggins hit the nail on the head, his statistics are far above what Salo is capable in my opinion of providing next season, I would also wager that his (Garrison) Corsi numbers are better too.

If you can't understand the simple concept that there are several other factors beside point totals that make one player better over another, please stop "arguing" these topics on a hockey forum, it makes you look like fools.

I'll say it again for emphasis. Garrison over Salo makes the hockey team STRONGER because after point totals being similar, Garrison brings MORE to the table.

Edited by Shadowgoon, 24 July 2012 - 06:01 AM.

#215 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,787 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:47 AM

Best post I have seen, in quite some time, on CDC.

Where was that objectivity with a certain other transaction? :huh: :P

Facts or opinion? What "facts" can you provide that Salo is our "hardest working" d-man? In my "opinion" it would be easier to make that claim for Hamhuis and Bieksa. Both play against the oppositions top players, both play physical, both log the most "tough minutes" and yet both produce offensively. Here's some facts for you in comparison to Garrison: Salo 11/12 Games: 69 Goals: 9 Assists: 16 Points: 25 Hits: 29 Blk Shots: 77 Give aways: 35 Take aways: 23 Shot %: 6.6 Average ice time per game: Even: 15:22 PP: 2:45 PK: 2:19 Garrison 11/12 Games: 77 Goals: 16 Assists: 17 Points: 33 Hits: 127 Blk Shots: 124 Give aways: 30 Take aways: 20 Shot %: 9.5 Average ice time per game: Even: 18:35 PP: 2:31 PK: 2:34 Those are facts. I'm not sure how anybody could call Garrison in place of Salo a status quo. Garrison can obviously log big minutes in all situations. Judging by the block shots, he's good positionally and plays physical to boot. Plus he has a big shot. I'd say we got an upgrade based on the stats. In addition what elite players did he have to set up in Florida? Playing behind the Sedins it's virtually given his assists will increase. Time will tell but I believe MG scored a good one. Those are opinions.

#216 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:38 AM

The fact is that Gillis tried to and wanted to sign Salo.The Canucks site stated it was the organisation's #1 priority on the morning of July the 1st.

The fact is that Sami is ten years older than Garrison while Garrison has yet to play one game in Vancouver.

Vancouver is not Florida.

Sami made 2.5 million dollars less than what Garrison will be paid this year-and every year,with a no trade.

Sami did not get to play with a Norris contender that feeds him shots all night long.

Garrison played with the second highest scoring d man in the NHL and the d man that was ranked first in TOI/game.

Salo had the hardest shot on the Canucks year after year,regularly clocking in at over 100 mph.

In fact ,he was last year's winner at the Canucks superskills with a 102.7 mph/163.5 kmh slapper.

The fact is that Sami spent ten years here,if you include the lockout, and gave his heart and soul to this organisation.

The fact is Sami recovered from those 40 injuries and played the game at the most elite of levels after every single injury.

The fact is,at age 37,Sami led all Canucks d men in PP goals,despite second line minutes and his injuries and games the team scratched him to rest for the playoffs down the stretch.

Again,the fact is that Jason has yet to play one game in Vancouver.

If Jason -or any of the existing Canucks-can play at the level Sami did when they turn 37 and Gilis offers them a contract I will be very surprised.

The fact is Canucks,org braintrust wanted and tried to secure Sami for another year but failed.

The fact is that Garrison is not Salo and vice-versa and this is not an either/or issue.

Respect is due to Sami. How about it?

Edited by nuck nit, 24 July 2012 - 08:05 AM.

#217 Burrdin

Burrdin

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:46 AM

Regarding Weber, you seem to assume that Gillis can just offer whatever amount of $ to whatever player he wants, for whatever term he thinks. There are owners you know.

While the Aquilinis have said they will pay to make this team a winner, I'm sure they wouldn't be all that happy after paying Luongo almost $17 mil for the last 2 years just to let him go to another team. Then turn around and pay $26 mil to another player in a year's time.

Edited by Burrdin, 24 July 2012 - 07:47 AM.

#218 Pistachios

Pistachios

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,882 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:27 AM

Salo put up 25 points in 69 games last season and was arguably one of our most consistent D-men.

To think that Garrison is going to be that much better than him is unrealistic. Common sense would tell you that. ;)

Common sense tells me that you should wait for the season to play out before stating any value judgements re Garrison's play in comparison to Salo last year. THAT would be common sense.

Edited by SILLY GOOSE, 24 July 2012 - 08:27 AM.

G4fSut.gif

#219 nucklehead2

nucklehead2

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:19 PM

Facts or opinion? What "facts" can you provide that Salo is our "hardest working" d-man? In my "opinion" it would be easier to make that claim for Hamhuis and Bieksa. Both play against the oppositions top players, both play physical, both log the most "tough minutes" and yet both produce offensively.

Here's some facts for you in comparison to Garrison:

Salo 11/12
Games: 69
Goals: 9
Assists: 16
Hits: 29
Blk Shots: 77
Give aways: 35
Take aways: 23
Shot %: 6.6

Even: 15:22
PP: 2:45
PK: 2:19

Garrison 11/12
Games: 77
Goals: 16
Assists: 17
Hits: 127
Blk Shots: 124
Give aways: 30
Take aways: 20
Shot %: 9.5

Even: 18:35
PP: 2:31
PK: 2:34

Those are facts. I'm not sure how anybody could call Garrison in place of Salo a status quo. Garrison can obviously log big minutes in all situations. Judging by the block shots, he's good positionally and plays physical to boot. Plus he has a big shot. I'd say we got an upgrade based on the stats.

In addition what elite players did he have to set up in Florida? Playing behind the Sedins it's virtually given his assists will increase. Time will tell but I believe MG scored a good one. Those are opinions.

Im not knocking the Garrison signing at all, it was time too move on we needed to get younger. my point was Sami e=was one hell of a defenseman frodo of the shire

#220 WL Canuck Fan

WL Canuck Fan

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:14 PM

I'm starting to think Gillis will make an excuse for anything to cover his butt.

Sorry, but he had a chance to get one of the best defenseman in the NHL and he couldn't pull the trigger. Just accept it and move on, don't make excuses.

Well if he had sent him an off sheet first, his choice would be to sign it or stay in Nashville.

Your telling me he wouldn't play for the Canucks if we offered to sign him? I don't buy that.

My guess is Gillis just wasn't willing to pay him what it would have taken to get him here. Philly was, and now there's a good chance they'll get him.

Bunch of whiney Gillis lovers in here.

Gillis had a chance to make a bold move, and he couldn't get it done. Now he's making an excuse. That deserves some amount of criticism, whether you like to admit it or not.

Meeting with a player, and actually making an offer are two different things. It sounds like he thought Nashville would match for sure, so he planned to offer him a 1 year offer sheet so that he would remain in Nashville until he was a free agent. It didn't work, and now he missed out.

I think I should be allowed to criticize our GM when he doesn't get things done. This doesn't always have to be a Gillis love fest.

Come on Deniro, I had to say something. Nashville matched, just like Gillis said they would. In other words, as a smart GM, he was not aimlessly pursuing something he wasn't going to get.

Kinda might be the reason he is the GM, and mooks like you and me aren't.

Edited by WL Canuck Fan, 24 July 2012 - 07:14 PM.

Sig too big.

#221 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,787 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 04:47 PM

You are confusing something. Two things actually.

First, we wanted to sign Salo, no disrespect occurred.

But Salo got offered a stupid amount of money. Yes Sammy led us with his big shot. And we looked bad when he was out of the lineup. But he started the season with 15 points in 15 games and finished looking exactly like you would expect of an injury prone 36 year old, a bit tired. We needed Salo more than he could really offer at this stage. Add those up, and its incredibly clear why we needed to add Garrison. It would have been great to keep him in a limited role. Just not for multiple years at $3.75 mill because its too much for a tired defender.

The fact is that Gillis tried to and wanted to sign Salo.The Canucks site stated it was the organisation's #1 priority on the morning of July the 1st.

The fact is that Sami is ten years older than Garrison while Garrison has yet to play one game in Vancouver.

Sami made 2.5 million dollars less than what Garrison will be paid this year-and every year,with a no trade.

Sami did not get to play with a Norris contender that feeds him shots all night long.

Garrison played with the second highest scoring d man in the NHL and the d man that was ranked first in TOI/game.

Salo had the hardest shot on the Canucks year after year,regularly clocking in at over 100 mph.

In fact ,he was last year's winner at the Canucks superskills with a 102.7 mph/163.5 kmh slapper.

The fact is that Sami spent ten years here,if you include the lockout, and gave his heart and soul to this organisation.

The fact is Sami recovered from those 40 injuries and played the game at the most elite of levels after every single injury.

The fact is,at age 37,Sami led all Canucks d men in PP goals,despite second line minutes and his injuries and games the team scratched him to rest for the playoffs down the stretch.

If Jason -or any of the existing Canucks-can play at the level Sami did when they turn 37 and Gilis offers them a contract I will be very surprised.

The fact is Canucks,org braintrust wanted and tried to secure Sami for another year but failed.

The fact is that Garrison is not Salo and vice-versa and this is not an either/or issue.

Edited by Canuck Surfer, 25 July 2012 - 04:50 PM.

#222 Line Juggler

Line Juggler

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 05:31 PM

I like this post. I don't know, I think Sami feels pretty respected with $7.5 million over the next 24 months playing the game he loves.
Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.