The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] - Rick Nash to Rangers

IIRC at the time he was traded it was known that he wouldn't sign with Calgary and we would have been a UFA in a couple weeks, a la Justin Schultz.  It was also said that he wanted to play for NY, I think his dad has some connection with the Rangers.

Erixon wouldn't have been a UFA - he would have re-entered the draft. Had he done so, most were speculating that he'd be a top-10 pick, perhaps even top-5. Him and his agent liked the teams with those picks more than Calgary, so they said they were perfectly OK letting him re-enter.

His dad played for the Rangers for many years, so he said he'd like to go there, and would sign there if traded. He basically forced Calgary's hand to get his way. So him ending up in CBJ is some pretty sweet justice.

Erixon wouldn't have been a UFA - he would have re-entered the draft. Had he done so, most were speculating that he'd be a top-10 pick, perhaps even top-5. Him and his agent liked the teams with those picks more than Calgary, so they said they were perfectly OK letting him re-enter.

His dad played for the Rangers for many years, so he said he'd like to go there, and would sign there if traded. He basically forced Calgary's hand to get his way. So him ending up in CBJ is some pretty sweet justice.

I think CBJ got some good pieces:

- NYR best prospect - Erixon

- Roster players (Top 6 forward) - Anisimov

- Roster player (shutdown centre to replace Pahlsson) - Dubinsky

- 1st rounder

Not a bad deal, Dub/Ani both have wicked underlying numbers and will get more icetime in CBJ.

I think this helps a Luongo trade, if reported asking price is true (top prospect, roster player, 1st round pick). CBJ got all of that + another roster player.

So Howson will be gone by November then? They lost a 40 goal scorer and the combined return might not score 40 this season. Anisimov was brutal every time I saw him in the playoffs. Dubinsky is a good forward, a tad expensive. They didn't even save money in this trade...

Dubinsky - Johansen - Umberger

Anisimov - Brassard - Atkinson

Foligno - Prospal - Dorsett

Letestu - MacKenzie - Boll

Tyutin - Nikitin

Wisniewski - J.Johnson

Aucoin - Murray

Erixon

Bobrvosky

Mason

Columbus somewhat has depth now, but no top-end talent.

Erixon is a pretty underrated defensemen aroud here. He was probably a top 3 defensemen in the AHL last year.

I dunno, I dont think CLB got fleeced that much.

Rick Nash is a good player, but he's not worth 7.8 million / year. CLB overpayed his salary so he would play in columbus.

Brandon Dubinsky tells Dispatch: "It's one of those things where I knew if it was going to happen, I'd be a part of it."

"But even if you expect it, you're still kind of shocked. For me, it's the first time I've ever been traded. It's a tough day."

"But I'm already looking forward. My focus is going to be on helping my new team win games. I'm not going to be looking back ..."

Dubinsky will be in Columbus on Wednesday for a physical. Standard procedure in trades.

Dubinsky got married earlier this summer. He and his wife acknowledged initial delight at the housing market in Columbus. "Unbelievable."

Per Aaron Portzline

I think CBJ got some good pieces:

- NYR best prospect - Erixon

- Roster players (Top 6 forward) - Anisimov

- Roster player (shutdown centre to replace Pahlsson) - Dubinsky

- 1st rounder

Not a bad deal, Dub/Ani both have wicked underlying numbers and will get more icetime in CBJ.

I think this helps a Luongo trade, if reported asking price is true (top prospect, roster player, 1st round pick). CBJ got all of that + another roster player.

Archived