The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] - Rick Nash to Rangers

7.8 million per for a winger (least important position) who's averaged 61 points a year in his first 9 years isn't someone I would have ever wanted in Vancouver.

Howson had his hands tied. Nash had a very limited list of teams he was interested in going to. And no team can easily take on that kind of salary. The "Howson got fleeced" crowd seem to think that a star needed to be coming back to the Jackets. But CBJ is still light years from contending. A star to boost their chances to contender would have made sense if they were a moderately good team already, but that's not the case. They needed multiple good players and picks to fill many holes. Seems like CBJ did OK, though a higher first from some team would have been a bit easier for the CBJ fans to take.

Dubinsky 34 points last season + Anisimov 36 points last season = 70 - Rick Nash last season 59 points. / Columbus win + 11

In fact Nash has only made over 70 points once in his career (crappy team and linemates I know)

Best seasons- Dubinsky 54 points + Anisimov 44 = 98 points - best Nash season ever - 79 points. / Columbus win +19

Throw in Tim Erixson and a 1st round pick (which could be traded for even more assets)... adding the fact of Nash being 28 and Dubinsky being 26 and Anisimov being 24 as well the much lower cap hits individually..

I say either a winning trade for Blue Jackets or fair, even trade.

Does anyone else think Scott Howson has been watching Moneyball!!

Also, if Howson really was thinking Moneyball, giving up

Mason Raymond - 20 points (Best points total ever 53) + David Booth - 30 points (Best points total 60) = 50 or 113 for best of totals. Throw in Tanev and a 1st (also maybe a 3rd due to good league positions)..

so

Raymond, Booth, Tanev, 1st and 3rd for Rick Nash.. :)

I think Columbus now has to make a couples moves for top six wingers.

_____ - Johansen - Umberger

_____ - Dubinsky - Atkinson

Foligno - Anisimov - Prospal

Boll - Letestu - Dorsett

Gillies, Mackenzie

Wisniewski - Johnson

Murray - Nikitin

Savard - Aucoin

Moore

Mason

Bob

I say package Tyutin and one of the firsts they have for a top line winger. Maybe get another through free agency.

The Canucks couldn't match this trade. We don't have any young, proven forwards:

Dubinsky= ???? (Big 26 years old, 25 goal scorer). Raymond isn't a fair equivalent.

Anisimov= ??? (24 years olds, 16 + goals per season, 40 points)

Tim Erixon = Columbus might have taken Kassian here in lieu.

1st rounder

The Canucks couldn't match this trade. We don't have any young, proven forwards:

Dubinsky= ???? (Big 26 years old, 25 goal scorer). Raymond isn't a fair equivalent.

Anisimov= ??? (24 years olds, 16 + goals per season, 40 points)

Tim Erixon = Columbus might have taken Kassian here in lieu.

1st rounder

Dubinsky 34 points last season + Anisimov 36 points last season = 70 - Rick Nash last season 59 points. / Columbus win + 11

In fact Nash has only made over 70 points once in his career (crappy team and linemates I know)

Best seasons- Dubinsky 54 points + Anisimov 44 = 98 points - best Nash season ever - 79 points. / Columbus win +19

Throw in Tim Erixson and a 1st round pick (which could be traded for even more assets)... adding the fact of Nash being 28 and Dubinsky being 26 and Anisimov being 24 as well the much lower cap hits individually..

I say either a winning trade for Blue Jackets or fair, even trade.

Does anyone else think Scott Howson has been watching Moneyball!!

I think this wasn't a landslide steal by the Rangers but I do think they got the better end of the trade. The Rangers get a superstar winger to join Richards and Gaborik and they have someone who might help Chris Kreider's game develop.

That being said, in the cap era I'm not sure if this was such a bad loss by the Blue Jackets. They just replaced Nash's $7.8M contract with 3 players, 2 of whom have proven that they are solid NHL players. The Jackets have lacked depth for YEARS so getting Dubinsky and Anisimov does make the team more solid overall. Howson has also shown that he's willing to throw money at free agents (Wisniewski). The free agent crop next season is pretty deep. If the Jackets can pull off a respectable season, maybe that might open up the pool of potential free agents who would be willing to go to Columbus.

Don't get me wrong, I think Howson should have tried to get more but if he was under pressure to deal Nash this summer and this was the best offer, it's not such a bad deal.

Of course, if the cap keeps on going up the way it has been, then this might be a moot point.

I can't believe I have to say this.

Not every player wants to play in Vancouver.

Gillis readily admitted that he kicked tires about Nash at the deadline, the cost was too high AND Nash didn't want to waive to come here.

Value-wise, I really like this deal for Columbus. Howson had to move Nash at this point and his contract was atrocious. Unfortunately, Howson was the one who put himself in that position but he did well to wiggle out of it. I'm actually beyond stunned that he was able to bring back anything of value considering the fact that he is Scott Howson.

Brandon Dubinsky's a really useful player who had a down year and should be able to bounce back as a solid top-6 forward for Columbus. The likely increase in ice-time he'll be getting will help.

Artem Anisimov is somewhat redundant considering they already have a glut of second line players (I suppose this applies to Dubinsky as well), but he's a valuable, young asset with size and has room to improve.

Tim Erixon's a top defensive prospect who had a fantastic season in the AHL. Fantastic snag by the Blue Jackets, though I imagine Erixon's pretty upset that he went through that ordeal to get out of Calgary only to wind up in Columbus a year later. Regardless, he should be a rock on the Jackets' blue line within a couple years. Him and Murray make for a damn good 1-2 punch on defense in the future, along with players like Moore and Savard.

A late-round first is a late-round first. Another decent prospect in a year.

Columbus could have done better if Stepan or Kreider had gone back their way, but expecting either would have been fairly unrealistic as far as I'm concerned.

Archived