The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Zack Kassian weight cut

kesler#17

This whole thread just shows the age or physical condition of a lot of CDC members. You play practically any sport or just maintain fitness, you work hard to burn the fat and then you build pure muscle. It's not like fat magically turns to muscle. Muscle lies beneath the fat. So you burn off the fat that is currently on top of your muscles then work to build the muscle afterwards. It helps your speed, balance, core, endurance and shot.

If he lost 20 lbs that's a very good thing.

I recall a few years ago when Darcy Hordichuk was with Vancouver, I heard him do a radio interview on the TEAM 1040 and he said he came to training camp in 'the best shape of his life' after management told him to shed some lbs. So he came into camp leaner and faster like many players do...especially a bottom 6 guy who needs to do everything he is told to make the team. But he said as the season went on, he felt he could never hit the same as he used to at a heavier weight. He said he felt like he was bouncing off guys rather than hitting through them like he did at his heavier weight. Since this was his role on the team, he said it was frustrating and lead to less ice time. It wasn't until he put some of the weight back on that he felt his checks were more effective. Not that this applies universally to every player, but I think it is something to consider if Kassian's play next season is lack luster even though he is in better shape. And this is just merely my opinion, but has being in better shape really cut down on all the injuries? On the surface, it certainly doesn't appear that way.

I recall a few years ago when Darcy Hordichuk was with Vancouver, I heard him do a radio interview on the TEAM 1040 and he said he came to training camp in 'the best shape of his life' after management told him to shed some lbs. So he came into camp leaner and faster like many players do...especially a bottom 6 guy who needs to do everything he is told to make the team. But he said as the season went on, he felt he could never hit the same as he used to at a heavier weight. He said he felt like he was bouncing off guys rather than hitting through them like he did at his heavier weight. Since this was his role on the team, he said it was frustrating and lead to less ice time. It wasn't until he put some of the weight back on that he felt his checks were more effective. Not that this applies universally to every player, but I think it is something to consider if Kassian's play next season is lack luster even though he is in better shape. And this is just merely my opinion, but has being in better shape really cut down on all the injuries? On the surface, it certainly doesn't appear that way.

Archived