The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Zack Kassian weight cut

kesler#17

He's losing the fat, he may have been heavier last year but not strong as Lucic, Clowe, the typical powerforwards. I expect him to be harder to knock off the puck and deliver monster hits next season.

He looks like an Android bot doing his training for the termination of the rats Marchand and Bolland :P

He'll also be easier to knock off the puck weighing the same as Booth.

All he needed to do was work on his speed a bit. It was already pretty good. They didn't need to transform him into a lightweight.

It's not as easy to add mass during a season because you're doing so much cardio from playing so much. That's why the offseason is for bulking up.

I love Kassian. I have never advocated Burrows leaving the first line as he is essential to the Sedins, but I would make an exception for Zack if he fits.We need him on the ice to patrol for cheap shots. People will be a lot more weary with him manning the fort. If Burrows is in line for a 4-5 million salary then he should be capable of contributing with Booth and Kesler. Kes and him have always had great chemistry playing shorthanded. I know they've been tested out in the regular season at even strength to not great success but I think if we don't at least try Zack with the Sedins we're doing them and the rest of the team a disservice.

That's true, he will have a harder time putting on mass during the season, but he still has almost two months (including training camp) to start bulking if he feels he needs to.

I think you're confusing something though, weight does not equal strength. I'm almost 90 pounds lighter than I used to be, but a heck of a lot stronger. If he lost fat, but even put on a bit of leg muscle, his balance will be better and he will be just as strong, if not stronger on the puck.

You can have muscle and fat though, it's not one or the other. You can build up that muscle while keeping some body weight from fat.

A strong guy with 20 extra pounds of fat, will be harder to knock off the puck than a strong guy without that extra 20 pounds. That's just simple physics. And his skating was almost as good as you could expect for a big guy.

I don't understand how we can get pushed around in the playoffs two years in a row by teams with much bigger players, and then we tell our only powerforward to lose weight. We tried it with Bernier and it failed. He was never the same player with the shed weight.

But I'm done here, no point in arguing about it anymore.

You can have muscle and fat though, it's not one or the other. You can build up that muscle while keeping some body weight from fat.

A strong guy with 20 extra pounds of fat, will be harder to knock off the puck than a strong guy without that extra 20 pounds. That's just simple physics. And his skating was almost as good as you could expect for a big guy.

I don't understand how we can get pushed around in the playoffs two years in a row by teams with much bigger players, and then we tell our only powerforward to lose weight. We tried it with Bernier and it failed. He was never the same player with the shed weight.

While there may be some speed and mobility gains, I think it's more related to his endurance. One of the comments from the team last year was they wanted him to be able to compete at a high level with larger minutes, where he was only able to do so in shorter stints in his time with us last year.

He'll also be easier to knock off the puck weighing the same as Booth.

All he needed to do was work on his speed a bit. It was already pretty good. They didn't need to transform him into a lightweight.

It's not as easy to add mass during a season because you're doing so much cardio from playing so much. That's why the offseason is for bulking up.

ok first off, why do people bitch and moan so much on here. Its a wieght cut, you loose the wieght to get in better shape and as season goes on you put it back on, plain and simple. not hard to understand, all players do it, just not to same extreme, and im sorry Kas fans, but he looked sluggish after the first 5 games, and lost. Im pretty sure the Pro's no what there doing from the player to the nutrionist, so cool your jets

Archived