The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Zack Kassian weight cut

kesler#17

This is great news he managed to get some experience last year and he now knows what it takes to play at the top level...and that 20lbs wont effect his hitting...if anything it will go up now that he should be faster and stronger

My buddy who is best friends with Prab Rai told me about this Saturday night. It was actually an ex coworkers boyfriend who I now keep in contact with, but he's a childhood friend of Prab Rai and his brother, he said Kassian's been skating in Langley with Prab Rai, Duncan Keith, Brent Seabrooke, Jason Garrison and a couple other prospects, and yes, has lost 20 pounds. I have high hopes for Kass, and I think this will bring a new element to his game, speed.

Some of you honestly know nothing about how workout programs usually work. For most, you do periods of cutting (dropping fat) while maintaining most, if not all, of the muscle you had before. Then you start putting on muscle. It's usually done in cycles.

If he drops twenty pounds of chub, and can skate faster, but has the same amount of strength, his hits will be bigger than before with the added velocity. He'll put on muscle throughout the season also.

My buddy who is best friends with Prab Rai told me about this Saturday night. It was actually an ex coworkers boyfriend who I now keep in contact with, but he's a childhood friend of Prab Rai and his brother, he said Kassian's been skating in Langley with Prab Rai, Duncan Keith, Brent Seabrooke, Jason Garrison and a couple other prospects, and yes, has lost 20 pounds. I have high hopes for Kass, and I think this will bring a new element to his game, speed.

I guarantee you Bertuzzi wasn't all muscle at 245. You need fat to reach that weight unless you're Chara size.

It's like a linebacker. Those guys have huge bellies, but they can move like the wind.

We'll see how it works out though.

I love Kassian. I have never advocated Burrows leaving the first line as he is essential to the Sedins, but I would make an exception for Zack if he fits.We need him on the ice to patrol for cheap shots. People will be a lot more weary with him manning the fort. If Burrows is in line for a 4-5 million salary then he should be capable of contributing with Booth and Kesler. Kes and him have always had great chemistry playing shorthanded. I know they've been tested out in the regular season at even strength to not great success but I think if we don't at least try Zack with the Sedins we're doing them and the rest of the team a disservice.

You must be new to the game of hockey...see it doesnt matter what weight , what height , or what people that dont understand the game think...it means NOTHING !!! ...If he worked that hard then he has the heart and the drive to be a better player...if you want a power forward from what is basically a rookie...then your better off being on cdc , cause anyone who knows hockey would be to busy laughing at you...

Your first paragraph would be correct if Zack Kassian were a bodybuilder. What you're talking about is NOT the protocol for professional athletes. It's not easy to lose 20 lbs., especially in a short time frame like Kassian has. This is clearly a conscious move by the Canucks - they want him to lose weight.

Regarding your second paragraph, unless Kassian's a freak of nature, his strength isn't going to be as high as it was 20 lbs. ago. He's not eating enough. You've got to create a serious caloric defecit to lose that amount of weight over a couple of months. He probably feels and looks like crap right now.

Archived