Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kesler#17

Zack Kassian weight cut

240 posts in this topic

So the big power forward has lost weight, becoming yet another middle weight checking forward?

But in a few YEARS he will gain the weight back and then he will be a a pf?

I hope the true heavy weight scrappers take it easy on him till then.Fighting was part of the reason for getting him was it not?

what weighs more a pound of Zach Kassian or a pound of Cody Hodgson?

He is eyeing that 2nd line winger opening. Add a little more speed and he could keep up on the rush with Booth and Kesler.

He wasnt brought in to be a goon.

What part of  "Fighting was part of the reason for getting him was it not?"   did you miss the first time?

If the nucks were after a goon they would go after plugs  like George Parros  and such.

They allegedly wanted a  big,bruising power forward that could skate, hit, score and scrap when need be.

Now they seem to be turning him into a middle weight.

Kassian was chubby as hell, and unconditioned when he came in here last year. His physical fitness stats were some of the worst on the team.

Glad he's doing what it takes to make this team and own next year.

Kassian was chubby and mentally lazy. If he really does cut down to 10% body fat or even less , and is focused, we could see a 20 goal scorer even this year.

I would love to see a Raymond Schroeder Kassian line to start the season.

You guys realize that losing weight /= becoming weaker right?

The combination of plyometrics (excerices he was doing) and weight loss is going to be a boon for his explosive speed. If he is already a good skater he is going to be that much more explosive in his first few steps now. Plyometrics are all about building twitch muscles and building anerobic heart rate capacity.

In terms of athleticism, explosive speed is what you want in sports like boxing, football, etc.

The combination of plyometrics (excerices he was doing) and weight loss is going to be a boon for his explosive speed. If he is already a good skater he is going to be that much more explosive in his first few steps now. Plyometrics are all about building twitch muscles and building anerobic heart rate capacity.

In terms of athleticism, explosive speed is what you want in sports like boxing, football, etc.

Not necessarily. Losing fat doesn't mean you are getting weaker at all.

Oh and I noticed the heavy bag swinging a bit in the background. Here's hoping Freddie Roach is off camera showing him punch combinations. :emot-parrot:

Yea, that was my point. The / before the = sign means "does not equal."

This entire thread reminds of elementary school where big = strong, even though most of the big kids were butterballs not weight lifters. I know it's naive to think this, but I believe that the hockey trainers and hockey players (who do this stuff for a living, 24/7) probably know better than I do about the best way to train for hockey.

Regardless of his weight, which I really don't care all too much about because I'm not the National Enquirer, I'm pretty happy about Zack's work-ethic this summer. If he keeps up with this dogged determination and discipline throughout his career, then it will be a long and successful one, and he will bring many good things to the Canuck's table.

For any of you who forgets what this means, try to remember the embarassment of Wellwood coming to training camp somewhat chubbed out. Yeah, it happens, but sportscasting had a field day with it and it made the Canucks as an organization look bad and lazy, not just Wellwood.

Really hoping he makes the roster this year, if not a conditioning year in the AHL may not be the worst for him. Liking his work ethic thus far :)