The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Zack Kassian weight cut

kesler#17

LOL I don't think people understand how hard it is to lose 20lbs for a professional athlete with a already-built frame. Kassian is working HARD. For a guy as young as he is, it's ideal to be at ~200lbs. He will be faster, more agile and balanced and stronger on the puck. He doesn't need to lift other teams opposing players. He needs to have a better balance and lower gravity and be stronger on the puck and have better lateral movements. Good to hear.

LOL I don't think people understand how hard it is to lose 20lbs for a professional athlete with a already-built frame. Kassian is working HARD. For a guy as young as he is, it's ideal to be at ~200lbs. He will be faster, more agile and balanced and stronger on the puck. He doesn't need to lift other teams opposing players. He needs to have a better balance and lower gravity and be stronger on the puck and have better lateral movements. Good to hear.

This entire thread reminds of elementary school where big = strong, even though most of the big kids were butterballs not weight lifters. I know it's naive to think this, but I believe that the hockey trainers and hockey players (who do this stuff for a living, 24/7) probably know better than I do about the best way to train for hockey.

That's what I thought. :lol:

So we finally acquire the powerforward we need, and then we tell him to lose weight cause he's too big?

Didn't we try that with Bernier and he got alot worse?

Not every player has to fit into the skilled fast mold of our other players. Seems to me Penner does alright for himself at 240. So did Bertuzzi.

If he comes to camp with better endurance, explosiveness, then it'll be for the better.

We want him to be a physical presence IN ADDITION, to being a strong offensive player.

It won't matter how big he is if he can't keep up.

I'd rather him batter the other teams defenseman consistently, and keep up with the offensive play,

rather than pummel them a couple times and not much else.

He was at 235 before, which seems really heavy for his age. (The weight wasn't all in his legs ala Ovi/Kovi)

Heck 215, isnt exactly light either.

Over his career he'll slowly put the 20lbs back on, but in muscle.

Are you serious? I bet you a 150 lb lean strong guy could beat a 180 lb fat guy in an arm wrestle.

Also...take a 200lb concrete slab and try pushing it over. Even I could do that and I'm 165. It's called center of gravity. Now, take a 200lb lean musclular guy and try to push him over. Not so easy is it? In fact...chances are he'll push right back at you and knock you over. Can a concrete slab do that? That's what fat is....just a slab that does nothing. Muscle is dynamic and can push against you.

Also, where do guys store most fat? In their gut and upper body. Now if Kassian loses most of his fat from his upper body and gains more muscle in his legs, he'll have lowered his center of gravity making him harder to knock off the puck, making him faster, and better balance. As other ppl have mentioned, his hitting power will not have decreased due to the F=ma equation.

So to all those people that think that him losing weight is not a good thing, check your heads.

Archived