The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Zack Kassian weight cut

kesler#17

Your first paragraph would be correct if Zack Kassian were a bodybuilder. What you're talking about is NOT the protocol for professional athletes. It's not easy to lose 20 lbs., especially in a short time frame like Kassian has. This is clearly a conscious move by the Canucks - they want him to lose weight.

Regarding your second paragraph, unless Kassian's a freak of nature, his strength isn't going to be as high as it was 20 lbs. ago. He's not eating enough. You've got to create a serious caloric defecit to lose that amount of weight over a couple of months. He probably feels and looks like crap right now.

Guest Dasein

Well 20 pounds is 20 pounds. That 20 pounds makes him harder to knock off the puck or clear from out of the crease.

I get the whole fitness thing, but I thought he was a good skater for his size already. Bertuzzi was 245 and built like a freight train.

Fat is not always a bad thing if you can move. Hopefully he can gain another 10 in muscle.

Aight, so the guys lost 20 pounds of mostly fat. Now, he'll start gaining muscle mass slowly and muscle mass is heavier than fat so he will step by step start getting up to his usual weight.

For those saying why is our Powerforward losing weight? It doesn't matter, it's only a positive. He can lose 50 pounds for all I care, but he'll still be big at 6'3" and as long as a good portion of the weight he cut is replaced by muscle mass, it will always be a positive. Look at it: the guys lost 20 pounds! That is a huge difference! He's now obviously faster, stronger, and more active and for those saying well he'll be easier to get off the puck, give your heads a shake. Weight has almost nothing to do with how well you can protect the puck, look at the Sedin's for example. Not heavy guys but have excellent control of the puck and are hard to knock off - its all about strength and skill and Zack's got both.

...seems like Zack's recycling his old self and is going to mould himself into a different body in which he feels comfortable in and one in which he feels he can play great hockey with his big frame - remember, he'll always remain 6'3" at least and if your saying he's to light now, he'll gain muscle mass from now till the season and get back up to there, at least close it.

Well, the very definition of a power forward is the opposite of Theo's stature.

I was like, five years old in Theo's prime so I can't say positively on my own. I never really watched him play aside from old clips. But a quick google search "theo fleury power forward"... I've come to the conclusion he was anything but. There's a consensus on HFBoards that Theo was also anything but a PF

That's what I thought. :lol:

So we finally acquire the powerforward we need, and then we tell him to lose weight cause he's too big?

Didn't we try that with Bernier and he got alot worse?

Not every player has to fit into the skilled fast mold of our other players. Seems to me Penner does alright for himself at 240. So did Bertuzzi.

Well Im very happy that google exists for you because you know everything on the internet is fact....they cant put it on the internet unless its true...since you obviously dont understand my point try Cliff Ronning ..No one would ever print that he was a power forward..the people that have scars and the memories would....MY POINT IS !!!! that 195 is a killer weight if all he lost was fat, then its obvious he didnt do that by starving himself......its all in the head

Archived