The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Zack Kassian weight cut

kesler#17

Guest gumballthechewy

Well, the very definition of a power forward is the opposite of Theo's stature.

I was like, five years old in Theo's prime so I can't say positively on my own. I never really watched him play aside from old clips. But a quick google search "theo fleury power forward"... I've come to the conclusion he was anything but. There's a consensus on HFBoards that Theo was also anything but a PF

Some of you honestly know nothing about how workout programs usually work. For most, you do periods of cutting (dropping fat) while maintaining most, if not all, of the muscle you had before. Then you start putting on muscle. It's usually done in cycles.

If he drops twenty pounds of chub, and can skate faster, but has the same amount of strength, his hits will be bigger than before with the added velocity. He'll put on muscle throughout the season also.

So the big power forward has lost weight, becoming yet another middle weight checking forward?

But in a few YEARS he will gain the weight back and then he will be a a pf?

I hope the true heavy weight scrappers take it easy on him till then.Fighting was part of the reason for getting him was it not?

Nobody's highlighting the real problem here? Hope Solo got a massive THREE more lunges than he did!

I'm kidding.

Good to hear he is working to become faster and stronger. I'm excited to see what he can bring this year.

Here's what I'm hoping for...

1-Kassian comes to camp in the shape prepared to play for a full 35 to 45 second shift with a 105 to 135 seconds rest in between his shifts.

2-During each shift, he's able to grind and wear down other teams' defensemen by forechecking hard and effectively banging bodies.

3-15 goals and 15 assists, 5-6 fighting majors, and consistent physical and skill play.

4-Decent defensive awareness in our end of the ice.

5-Straight-forward north-south through the neutral zone with speed.

Whether he can do this consistently at 195, 200, 205, 210, 215, 220, 225 or 230 doesn't really matter to me, but I think for him to accomplish 1-5 he needs to be super fit, and so at this point in his physical evolution, that may mean his ideal weight is 205 to 210.

Power forwards, in their civvies, look a lot like volleyball players -- tall, lean and muscular with very little body fat is their typical body type (the Bertuzzis, Penners, Byfugliens - during his Hawks days as a forward - are more anomalies than the norm in the NHL of today). Typically someone at 6'3", 205 lbs. to 210 lbs. with low body fat, strong/thick wrists, forearms, calves, ankles and feet muscles is going to be tougher to knock down than someone who has similar strength in the stabilizer muscles weighing 225 lbs. to 235 lbs.

There's no doubt that there are times when the extra weight is an advantage (think Byfuglien vs. Canucks in 2009, 2010 playoffs when he was an immovable force in front of Luongo). In Kassian's case, I believe he's more valuable to the team if he is able to have the endurance to be as effective in the last 10 seconds of the shift as he was in the first 10 seconds of the shift, and shedding the excess baggage is probably a good start. He's young, so he will find his equilibrium weight in 3-4 years, but until then, it will do him well to be as lean and muscular as possible (as opposed to bulky and muscular).

I guarantee you Bertuzzi wasn't all muscle at 245. You need fat to reach that weight unless you're Chara size.

It's like a linebacker. Those guys have huge bellies, but they can move like the wind.

We'll see how it works out though.

I could see this guy breaking out very soon and this helps. If he's training with Gary Roberts look out.

A 20-goal, 40 point season really isn't that impossible considering the hype around this guy. Just takes one or two injuries in our top-6 and he'll be playing with Henrik or Kesler, racking up the points.

I'm not worried. He will be doing all this under expert supervision so it's all good as far as I'm concerned.

I felt he lacked a bit of stamina and shedding 20lbs of fat is bound to help him gain stamina and help his speed.

How many of us could benefit from losing 20lbs of fat?...............MG and AV should be taking note :)

Archived