Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Zack Kassian weight cut

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
239 replies to this topic

#211 mysticriver

mysticriver

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 02:32 PM

I can't believe I just watched him jump for 30 seconds. LOL what a waste of time!

It was only 30 seconds.... now if it was an hour, that would have been a waste of time.

Posted Image

Sig/Avatar by ExpectoPatronum

#212 BananaMash

BananaMash

xX_qUiCkScOpEz_Xx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,136 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 02:48 PM

This thread is awesome. Zack Kassian lost weight? That means he's just like Bernier! He's going to fail!!!

:lol:

Posted Image

#213 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,802 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 04:27 PM

Compare that video of Kassian doing lunges, he looks big, explosive and athletic, with reports Tanev had gained weight (and look at his pictures on the front page of Canucks dot com) I'll take Kassians fitness commitment anyday!

FTR, Bertuzzi carried his weight fine, I'm guessing Sutter kicked Penner's sorry butt into shape for the play off's after years of well documented ho-hum commitment.

If Kassian lost muscle, and I'm guessing by that video he just trimmed off fat, it would be a worry.

That's what I thought. :lol:

So we finally acquire the powerforward we need, and then we tell him to lose weight cause he's too big?

Didn't we try that with Bernier and he got alot worse?

Not every player has to fit into the skilled fast mold of our other players. Seems to me Penner does alright for himself at 240. So did Bertuzzi.

Edited by Canuck Surfer, 28 July 2012 - 05:06 PM.

#214 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,802 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 04:59 PM

This post is not correct. Most players loose weight during the season. The exceptions being sloppy habits, ie SOB drinking at the Roxy and showing up with a beer belly, Kassian eating Nacho's in the press box... Also, he played big minutes in the minors, then started having the money for steak and nights out with an NHL paycheck, but only 5 or 10 minutes a game to work off his consumption. Sitting on your butt for the first time, without adjusting eating is a hard factor to figure out as a 21 year old.

Most players put on lean muscle mass training in ideal conditions in the off season. Then the exhaustive expense of energy during the season is one factor that see's guys loose weight. Games are also great leg and cardio work, but does not offer the rest of the body as much training for strength and explosiveness, so this drops off.Then the body needs rest, there is lack of access to facilities while on an airplane or on the road. So players are now eating for high energy games, then training on the bike after to blow off consumption if they played average or low minutes, also to cool down and spare lactic acid. This affects sleep, making it harder to train the next day...

And then players, by the time they are veterans, have learned to adapt and prepare for the "rigours" of the season, including how to train and adjust in season. Its one reason trading for Kassian, and expecting him to be a play off difference maker (as was first advertised) was a huge risk (which did not work).

But at least all looks positive moving forward?

If only the rest of CDC had this logic. Post volume would be cut by 90%.

Players frequently put on weight during the season. Especially those guys who are already naturally bigger (i.e. Bertuzzi).

Last summer I read a story about Gary Roberts' camp. He has all his guys cut weight to become more mobile in order to have the appropriate range of motion to carry out all of his exercises/lifts.

I'd say it is more likely that Kassian cut weight so that he actually has more of an opportunity to gain weight in the long run. He cut, now he is going to build himself back up (as many have alluded to already).

This training IS great news for Kassian. In reality, he was propped into his roster spot this past year when he arrived. He was not in good enough shape, clearly puffed at the end of games, but effective in first periods. He should have been in the minors playing himself into shape. That spot should have been Bitz's, who was better prepared.

If he is in shape this season, could be a very different story!

Why would he not make the roster? Putting him in the AHL is useless. He's proved he can play there. Can't learn to play in the NHL when you're not in the NHL, no?

Edited by Canuck Surfer, 28 July 2012 - 05:05 PM.

#215 Dun Caesar

Dun Caesar

Comets Prospect

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 05:39 PM

Anyone else loling at people saying "muscle weighs more than fat"? What exactley does that mean? Do you mean that muscle is more dense than fat?
Lex Luger

#216 BananaMash

BananaMash

xX_qUiCkScOpEz_Xx

• Members
  • 12,136 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 06:23 PM

Anyone else loling at people saying "muscle weighs more than fat"? What exactley does that mean? Do you mean that muscle is more dense than fat?

Yes they do.

Posted Image

#217 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,191 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 06:28 PM

Edited by Tortorella's Rant, 28 July 2012 - 06:29 PM.

Posted Image

#218 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,191 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 06:30 PM

This post is not correct. Most players loose weight during the season. The exceptions being sloppy habits, ie SOB drinking at the Roxy and showing up with a beer belly, Kassian eating Nacho's in the press box... Also, he played big minutes in the minors, then started having the money for steak and nights out with an NHL paycheck, but only 5 or 10 minutes a game to work off his consumption. Sitting on your butt for the first time, without adjusting eating is a hard factor to figure out as a 21 year old.

Most players put on lean muscle mass training in ideal conditions in the off season. Then the exhaustive expense of energy during the season is one factor that see's guys loose weight. Games are also great leg and cardio work, but does not offer the rest of the body as much training for strength and explosiveness, so this drops off.Then the body needs rest, there is lack of access to facilities while on an airplane or on the road. So players are now eating for high energy games, then training on the bike after to blow off consumption if they played average or low minutes, also to cool down and spare lactic acid. This affects sleep, making it harder to train the next day...

And then players, by the time they are veterans, have learned to adapt and prepare for the "rigours" of the season, including how to train and adjust in season. Its one reason trading for Kassian, and expecting him to be a play off difference maker (as was first advertised) was a huge risk (which did not work).

But at least all looks positive moving forward?

This training IS great news for Kassian. In reality, he was propped into his roster spot this past year when he arrived. He was not in good enough shape, clearly puffed at the end of games, but effective in first periods. He should have been in the minors playing himself into shape. That spot should have been Bitz's, who was better prepared.

If he is in shape this season, could be a very different story!

Agreed. Putting on weight during the season? Highly unlikely.
Posted Image

#219 sthebest

sthebest

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:03 PM

he will be much faster and plus will turn the lost 20 pounds of fat to muscle so he will be way stronger

#220 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,025 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:15 AM

Agreed. Putting on weight during the season? Highly unlikely.

O'Brien managed to. :lol:
Posted Image

#221 VanIsleNuckFan

VanIsleNuckFan

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,568 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:21 AM

Do we want a powerforward losing weight?

I thought his skating was great for a big guy...

When Bert lost a few pounds he did better also..black and white..

#222 NightHawkSniper

NightHawkSniper

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,334 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:07 PM

Can't wait for the season to start

5577747361_37d631069c_m.jpg

#223 Burnsey

Burnsey

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:27 PM

Congrats on him. Lets hope he packs on the muscle and uses it against the d-man in front the net next year. That will be great to have in the playoffs ;)

team-canada-jarome-iginla-photo.jpg

#224 CanadianRugby

CanadianRugby

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:55 PM

Hopefully he can crack the lineup this year.

#225 Bilbro Baggins

Bilbro Baggins

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:31 PM

pics or it didnt happen

Posted Image

#226 CanuckinEdm

CanuckinEdm

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,373 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:58 PM

Doesn't make sense at all. Muscle weights heavier than fat.

What weighs more a pound of fat or a pound of muscle ... Ok this was actually a mobile bump but I had to after seeing that. Now reading the post a couple up I realize I shouldn't have bumped it. So just to clarify your 17 year old source is good friends with Tanev who was born in 89 but doesn't know Hodgson who is born in 90 cause he was too old

Edited by CanuckinEdm, 30 July 2012 - 10:20 PM.

#227 DooBie604

DooBie604

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 04:00 PM

This whole thread just shows the age or physical condition of a lot of CDC members. You play practically any sport or just maintain fitness, you work hard to burn the fat and then you build pure muscle. It's not like fat magically turns to muscle. Muscle lies beneath the fat. So you burn off the fat that is currently on top of your muscles then work to build the muscle afterwards. It helps your speed, balance, core, endurance and shot.

If he lost 20 lbs that's a very good thing.

#228 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,744 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:03 PM

I suppose they aren't getting the difference between weight and mass.

regards,
G.
Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#229 RonMexico

RonMexico

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 05:32 PM

I recall a few years ago when Darcy Hordichuk was with Vancouver, I heard him do a radio interview on the TEAM 1040 and he said he came to training camp in 'the best shape of his life' after management told him to shed some lbs. So he came into camp leaner and faster like many players do...especially a bottom 6 guy who needs to do everything he is told to make the team. But he said as the season went on, he felt he could never hit the same as he used to at a heavier weight. He said he felt like he was bouncing off guys rather than hitting through them like he did at his heavier weight. Since this was his role on the team, he said it was frustrating and lead to less ice time. It wasn't until he put some of the weight back on that he felt his checks were more effective. Not that this applies universally to every player, but I think it is something to consider if Kassian's play next season is lack luster even though he is in better shape. And this is just merely my opinion, but has being in better shape really cut down on all the injuries? On the surface, it certainly doesn't appear that way.

#230 Mighty Walrus

Mighty Walrus

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 06:44 PM

#231 Honeydews

Honeydews

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:39 PM

GO GET EM ZACK!
Posted ImagePosted Image
Credit to pwnstar for this amazing kesler sig :)

#232 AnInconvenienceBrah

AnInconvenienceBrah

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:40 PM

Kassian was getting gassed too fast last season so dropping 20 lbs of fat and improving his fitness is nothing but a great thing.

#233 stawns

stawns

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,895 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 02:53 PM

I recall a few years ago when Darcy Hordichuk was with Vancouver, I heard him do a radio interview on the TEAM 1040 and he said he came to training camp in 'the best shape of his life' after management told him to shed some lbs. So he came into camp leaner and faster like many players do...especially a bottom 6 guy who needs to do everything he is told to make the team. But he said as the season went on, he felt he could never hit the same as he used to at a heavier weight. He said he felt like he was bouncing off guys rather than hitting through them like he did at his heavier weight. Since this was his role on the team, he said it was frustrating and lead to less ice time. It wasn't until he put some of the weight back on that he felt his checks were more effective. Not that this applies universally to every player, but I think it is something to consider if Kassian's play next season is lack luster even though he is in better shape. And this is just merely my opinion, but has being in better shape really cut down on all the injuries? On the surface, it certainly doesn't appear that way.

You're operating under the assumption that Kassian and Hordichuk are similar players........they're not.......if not for his willingness to take punches to the face, Hordichuk serves no function and would otherwise be playing for the ReMax Rangers of the City Hockey League in Bumstop Sask. Kassian, on the other hand is a big, skilled, physical powerforward expected to develop into an upper tier offensive player in due time.

For the "goon" that Hordi is, that extra weight swrves him better thn being lean and muscular because he's being man handled by bigger, tougher heavy weights. For Kassian, it serves him better beczuse, though already fast, he will be more explosive and better on his skates.

#234 ice orca

ice orca

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,310 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 03:04 PM

Lol every time i hear the name Hordichuk i see the hip that Ballard hung on him..was a thing of friggin beauty.

#235 sharkfinsoup

sharkfinsoup

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:16 PM

Can't wait to see him dominate this season hopefully he'll get at least 30points.

#236 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,708 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:30 PM

Lol every time i hear the name Hordichuk i see the hip that Ballard hung on him..was a thing of friggin beauty.

So true .. sad when it was a top 10 seasonal hi-light .. :towel:

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#237 sthebest

sthebest

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:14 PM

Now he is so explosive with more leg muscle so he is harder to knock off the puck and that 20 pounds of fat will be 20 pounds of muscle

#238 sthebest

sthebest

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:15 PM

oh yeah his hits will be harder given the acceleration bonus and keeping all or most of his muscle and will be way bigger improvement

#239 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,191 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:23 PM

Now he is so explosive with more leg muscle so he is harder to knock off the puck and that 20 pounds of fat will be 20 pounds of muscle

Well, yes, next off season maybe. As you can't subtract and add at the same time
Posted Image

#240 Drop Em

Drop Em

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:46 PM

Nope, pretty much just you loling because muscle does weigh more than fat.

And as for those people who think that Kassian will put on weight during the year, good/healthy weight that is, it's likely not going to happen. Most players lose weight throughout the year because of the travel, game and practice schedules. That's why most players use the off season to pack on muscle and gain or lose weight, depending on what they need, because usually the best thay can hope to do during the year is to maintain their muscle mass.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.