Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

(Report) Canucks offered Shea Weber 1 year 14 million

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
127 replies to this topic

#1 70seven

70seven

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:16 PM

Vancouver Province is reporting:

After meeting with Shea Weber in Kelowna, the Canucks concluded playing in B.C. was not his priority.
The Canucks’ pursuit of Weber began on July 1 and culminated with a mid-month summit meeting, where Vancouver’s management made its pitch at Weber’s Kelowna home, while the restricted free agent, in return, detailed what he was looking for if he was going to sign an offer sheet.
And it wasn’t a chance to play in his home province.

“People assume anybody born in B.C. automatically wants to play for the Vancouver Canucks,” GM Mike Gillis said while co-hosting the midday show on TEAM 1040 Monday.
“I really like the guy. I think he’s a terrific player. I think at the end of the day, the market place really didn’t matter. He was determined to take advantage of the rules that are currently in place and he did so.”
The current rules allowed Weber to sign a 14-year, $110-million offer sheet with the Philadelphia Flyers. It’s the type of “lifetime contract” which may be prohibited when the NHL and its players agree to a new CBA. In its first proposal to players, the NHL had term limits which capped the length of contracts to five years. It seemed it was either now or never for Weber to get the security he was chasing.
The Canucks considered making an offer similar to Philadelphia’s, but believed the Nashville Predators would match it. The Predators have until Wednesday at 11:30 p.m. to either match the Philly deal or let Weber go. If he leaves, the Predators will get four first-round draft picks.
“We felt strongly right from the outset anything that had term attached, they’d match,” Gillis said. “I think with the loss of Ryan Suter and that they were in on (Suter) right to the end, trying to sign him for numbers that resembled what we’re seeing here, that this was their opportunity to match and get a star player for term.
“When you added everything up, it did not look like it was a real opportunity (to get the player).
“I do suspect (Nashville) will match. I think they need to protect their team and protect their marketplace in Nashville and this guy is the face of their franchise.”

The Canucks discussed with Weber the idea of a one-year, $14-million deal. It included a $1-million salary and a $13-million signing bonus. It was a risky plan but the Canucks believed it was the only contract that could potentially land the player. If Weber were to ever have signed such a deal, and the Predators didn’t match, the Canucks would have given up four first-round draft choices. If the Predators did match, Weber was scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent in one year.
But that was a non-starter from Weber’s side, because if he signed a one-year offer sheet he wouldn’t be able to sign an extension until Jan. 1, long after the current CBA expires on Sept. 15.
“I got the sense he wanted to take advantage of the current rules in place financially and he did that. And he’s entitled to do that,” Gillis said.
“Often times, and I’ve been on the other side of this for a long, long time, players have multiple issues they are considering when they are looking at where to play.
“Where they are from is one of them. But it isn’t the one that necessarily carries the day.
“In this case, financial security, long term, while understanding full well Nashville could match, was a very important element. That can’t be underestimated.”

Read more: http://www.theprovin...l#ixzz21VCbPHE9

#2 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,410 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:17 PM

Misleading title.

They discussed - but never formally offered.
Posted Image

#3 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,058 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:18 PM

There, now people can shut up and stop complaining that MG did nothing.
Posted Image

#4 our time is now

our time is now

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:19 PM

So close but yet so far from getting him

Edited by debluvscanucks, 27 July 2012 - 07:17 AM.

#5 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,097 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:20 PM

You guys need to get it through your head.

Even if you throw money at the player it doesn't mean they'll want to sign with us. You know why we didn't get Suter, Parise, Weber and maybe Doan. Because maybe they don't want to play here..

You can't simply sign all the free agents.. :picard:

Edited by Armada, 23 July 2012 - 07:20 PM.

Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#6 billabong

billabong

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,966 posts

this makes me feel better.... <_<
Posted Image

#7 The Brahma Bull

The Brahma Bull

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,224 posts

MG didn't have the guts to offer him a long contract. It's not that he didn't want to sign here, it's that our management didn't want to give him a long-term contract that he deserved. MG can try and twist it and say how Weber didn't really want to play here, but he thinks these players should bend over backwards to play here. Sure, it would be nice to get Weber on a tiny discount, but he is the type of player that you throw all of the money at and get rid of underused by AV ballard/ falling raymond/injured manny. That's close to 9 mill right there and then we are still going to get rid of Lu.

Edited by The Brahma Bull, 23 July 2012 - 07:23 PM.

#8 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,860 posts

Damn CBA expiring.

If it wasn't for that, Weber may very well be a Canuck in a couple days.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#9 Tystick

Tystick

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:21 PM

I'm sorry but that's just way to much. Glad he didn't take it.
Posted Image

#10 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:22 PM

How would they even fit that under the cap? Glad they decided not to official offer it.

Also, if Nashville doesn't match, I bet MG will be kicking himself.

Edited by etsen3, 23 July 2012 - 07:22 PM.

#11 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,097 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:22 PM

MG didn't have the guts to offer him a long contract. It's not that he didn't want to sign here, it's that our management didn't want to give him a long-term contract that he deserved.

Or... You know.

Maybe not every player wants to sign in Vancouver. :rolleyes:

Always knew Weber wouldn't want to come to Vancouver, if I grew up a Canucks fan I'd hate playing for some of you fans with the way you treat our players.

Edited by Armada, 23 July 2012 - 07:23 PM.

Posted Image

#12 Gunner Garrison

Gunner Garrison

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:23 PM

So what would be the cap hit if you offer a 1m contract with 13m signing bonus?

#13 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,860 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:24 PM

How would they even fit that under the cap? Glad they decided not to official offer it.

Also, if Nashville doesn't match, I bet MG will be kicking himself.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the full signing bonus doesn't count under the cap.

Not fully sure how it works though.

Ultimately he decided not to gamble on a one year deal and went for the big payout now. Can't really blame him.

Edited by DeNiro, 23 July 2012 - 07:25 PM.

Posted Image

#14 The Sedin's 6th Sense

The Sedin's 6th Sense

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,431 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:25 PM

I'm sorry but that's just way to much. Glad he didn't take it.

I woulda offered $20 mill 1 year for Shea - if that's what it took to bring him home and solidify our team as an annual contender, than hell yea. This guys arguably the best all around dman in the league, I don't think you could go wrong in offering him a ton of money for a 1 year deal than offering him less after the contract is up / the 1 year deal worth a lot of money is to make sure he comes here. After that, he'll sign a lot less cheaper knowing he'll be with us like something along the lines of 7 years, $7.5 mill.

...at least we know Gillis tried.

Posted Image

"You know what my favourite Super Bowl is? The next one."

- Tom Brady

#15 vancanfan

vancanfan

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,516 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:26 PM

Could have would have should have <_<

#16 soshified

soshified

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,357 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:27 PM

There, now people can shut up and stop complaining that MG did nothing.

Now people will complain why MG didn't offer Weber more than one year

Posted Image

#17 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,097 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:27 PM

So what would be the cap hit if you offer a 1m contract with 13m signing bonus?

From what I remember,

It would be 10% of $13M which is $1.3M = to a caphit of $2.3M

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Posted Image

#18 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,410 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:29 PM

From what I remember,

It would be 10% of $13M which is $1.3M = to a caphit of $2.3M

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Completely.

the cap hit would've been $14M.

Total AAV... so $14M paid.... for one year....
Posted Image

#19 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:32 PM

We can still trade for him next July 2nd, but considering the Flyers or Preds will have paid 29mil, the price will be steeeeeeeep.
Posted Image

#20 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,097 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:33 PM

Completely.

Wait can't the bonus also be divided by years under contract. For instance if Weber did sign a $6M but got a $6M bonus the caphit would only be $7M per year as the bonus would be divided by 6 years equaling $1M additional on the cap.

Obviously irrelevant for Weber since it would have been 1 year thus equaling a caphit of $14M?

Also I don't know if you're right either...

From what I'm reading my original post is right unless I misinterpreted it.

National Hockey League

The NHL has a hard salary cap with substantial penalties for both players and agents who break the rules, as well as for teams. The league calculates the cap annually based on total hockey-related revenues, and any one player can only earn up to 20 percent of his team's cap. The agreement allows for signing bonuses that count toward the cap but are subject to a limit of 10 percent of the player's salary. There are additional rules for exceeding the cap with signing bonuses, but the effect on the cap is low because of the signing bonus limit.

Edited by Armada, 23 July 2012 - 07:36 PM.

Posted Image

#21 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,860 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:33 PM

Does anyone know if the offer came with a NTC?

I don't see how a player could sign that offer otherwise. Sure he could get his money, but Nashville could much and trade him to Columbus next offseason for all he knows.

Posted Image

#22 The Brahma Bull

The Brahma Bull

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:34 PM

Completely.

Are you sure about that? when I look at ehrhoff's contract on capgeek http://capgeek.com/p...play.php?id=121 it shows a caphit of 4 mill even though he had a 8 mill signing bonus. I think that's the whole point of those massive signing bonuses.

#23 PrimeMinisterBure

PrimeMinisterBure

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:34 PM

MG didn't have the guts to offer him a long contract. It's not that he didn't want to sign here, it's that our management didn't want to give him a long-term contract that he deserved. MG can try and twist it and say how Weber didn't really want to play here, but he thinks these players should bend over backwards to play here. Sure, it would be nice to get Weber on a tiny discount, but he is the type of player that you throw all of the money at and get rid of underused by AV ballard/ falling raymond/injured manny. That's close to 9 mill right there and then we are still going to get rid of Lu.

Exactly. Homgren did exactly what Gillis did, but essentially multiplied the signing bonus that MG offered him several times over for the first half of a 14-year contract. Gillis knew that the CBA was going to change the rules on extensive term lengths. He also knew that most players up for contract renewal, especially those with the skill-level to demand it, would try to load up on term before the end of the summer, which is when the new rules will be in place. And yet he chose to approach the situation by offering a star player--whom he was supposedly committed to doing "nearly anything" to get on the team--a one-year contract. How any of you people support him in these actions is completely beyond me--especially considering how the situation gets worse with every breaking detail on this matter.

Edited by PrimeMinisterBure, 23 July 2012 - 07:35 PM.

#24 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,410 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:35 PM

Wait can't the bonus also be divided by years under contract. For instance if Weber did sign a $6M but got a $6M bonus the caphit would only be $7M per year as the bonus would be divided by 6 years equaling $1M additional on the cap.

Obviously irrelevent for Weber since it would have been 1 year thus equaling a caphit of $14M?

Yes... the bonus (when in relation to the cap-hit) is split amongst the total amount of years.

So lets say... the Canucks offered Weber 2 years @ $1.0 M salary per year plus a $13M bonus in year one... that is $15M over two years... so the cap hit is $7.5M per season.

Cap hit = Average Annual Value
Posted Image

#25 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,860 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:35 PM

Completely.

There's no way they could have bee serious about that offer.

How could we fit a 14 million dollar cap hit?

But then he was certain they would match so I guess his plan was for him to never actually end up here this season.

Posted Image

#26 Bure fan

Bure fan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:37 PM

Here's my idea. Next top free agent that Canucks want they should do a top secret signing.

Let's say Weber is a UFA.

Canucks offer a 5 year 5 million dollar contract.
1 million each year. This is how it will go down to unsuspecting fellow GM's.

Then the city of Vancouver like it or not develops a new 'Weber tax' ;) .
We all pay an extra 150$ on our taxes even if your not a fan, and if you dont like it, you can getttttt out!!!

Weber gets his money ...We get our cup. It's a fool proof plan! Let's do it guys! Who's with me?

Edited by Bure fan, 23 July 2012 - 07:38 PM.

#10 Pavel Bure #96

Posted Image

#27 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,410 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:38 PM

Are you sure about that? when I look at ehrhoff's contract on capgeek http://capgeek.com/p...play.php?id=121 it shows a caphit of 4 mill even though he had a 8 mill signing bonus. I think that's the whole point of those massive signing bonuses.

'

The whole point of the massive signing bonuses is to frontload the contract, so the player is earning more money upfront.

I believe the example you have given is showing the $8M signing bonus as part of his $10M salary... as it clearly states that he earned a total of $40M over 10 years.

I know I am right about this --- otherwise what is the point of a salary cap, if you are just going to offer bonuses.

Rich teams would be rich, and poor teams would stay poor.

Edited by Squeak, 23 July 2012 - 08:33 PM.

Posted Image

#28 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,097 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:38 PM

Here's my idea. Next top free agent that Canucks want they should do a top secret signing.

Let's say Weber is still a RFA.

Canucks offer a 5 year 5 million dollar contract.
1 million each year. This is how it will go down to unsuspecting fellow GM's.

Then the city of Vancouver like it or not develops a new 'Weber tax' ;) .
We all pay an extra 150$ on our taxes even if your not a fan, and if you dont like it, you can getttttt out!!!

Weber gets his money ...We get our cup. It's a fool proof plan! Let's do it guys! Who's with me?

Weber clearly isn't..
Posted Image

#29 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,410 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:39 PM

There's no way they could have bee serious about that offer.

How could we fit a 14 million dollar cap hit?

But then he was certain they would match so I guess his plan was for him to never actually end up here this season.

This is why I say it was discussed and never offered.

But to start - we have $3,046M in cap space.

Add Luongo's $5.33M, and then Kesler on LTIR.

... and you are well on your way.

Edited by Squeak, 23 July 2012 - 07:40 PM.

Posted Image

#30 Bure fan

Bure fan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:39 PM

Weber clearly isn't..

I said "let's say" and "next top free agent" .... Used him as an example? If you get it?

#10 Pavel Bure #96

Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.