The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Report) Canucks offered Shea Weber 1 year 14 million

70seven

MG didn't have the guts to offer him a long contract. It's not that he didn't want to sign here, it's that our management didn't want to give him a long-term contract that he deserved. MG can try and twist it and say how Weber didn't really want to play here, but he thinks these players should bend over backwards to play here. Sure, it would be nice to get Weber on a tiny discount, but he is the type of player that you throw all of the money at and get rid of underused by AV ballard/ falling raymond/injured manny. That's close to 9 mill right there and then we are still going to get rid of Lu.

Wait can't the bonus also be divided by years under contract. For instance if Weber did sign a $6M but got a $6M bonus the caphit would only be $7M per year as the bonus would be divided by 6 years equaling $1M additional on the cap.

Obviously irrelevent for Weber since it would have been 1 year thus equaling a caphit of $14M?

Here's my idea. Next top free agent that Canucks want they should do a top secret signing.

Let's say Weber is a UFA.

Canucks offer a 5 year 5 million dollar contract.

1 million each year. This is how it will go down to unsuspecting fellow GM's.

Then the city of Vancouver like it or not develops a new 'Weber tax' ;) .

We all pay an extra 150$ on our taxes even if your not a fan, and if you dont like it, you can getttttt out!!!

Weber gets his money ...We get our cup. It's a fool proof plan! Let's do it guys! Who's with me?

Here's my idea. Next top free agent that Canucks want they should do a top secret signing.

Let's say Weber is still a RFA.

Canucks offer a 5 year 5 million dollar contract.

1 million each year. This is how it will go down to unsuspecting fellow GM's.

Then the city of Vancouver like it or not develops a new 'Weber tax' ;) .

We all pay an extra 150$ on our taxes even if your not a fan, and if you dont like it, you can getttttt out!!!

Weber gets his money ...We get our cup. It's a fool proof plan! Let's do it guys! Who's with me?

There's no way they could have bee serious about that offer.

How could we fit a 14 million dollar cap hit?

But then he was certain they would match so I guess his plan was for him to never actually end up here this season.

Does anyone know if the offer came with a NTC?

I don't see how a player could sign that offer otherwise. Sure he could get his money, but Nashville could much and trade him to Columbus next offseason for all he knows.

That would not have been a fit cap-wise, and even if it was one year would've been likely matched. Besides that, it's also an astronomical amount spent on the blue line for potentially one quality season at the expense of four 1st round picks and the potential of him getting signed for nothing the season after.

anyone know if Weber would have been eligible to sign a long-term extension immediately after the offer sheet not being matched? i.e. he signs the one year deal and its not matched, and then the canucks give him a long term extension (10 years x$7 mil)

Archived