The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olympic Women's Soccer

ckamo

Don't forget we were in the game until the very end. Failure to clear the ball from our side of the field led to the game-winning goal. Our defenders should have just kicked the ball out and provided some distance rather than head it straight upward twice. That's the soccer equivalent of not clearing the defensive zone in the final minute of the match.

Oh well. It was a valiant effort by Team Canada, and an outstanding performance by Sinclair. Indecisiveness from the Canadian players, a few major miscues, and some shady officiating led to the end result.

CTV said the reason for the free kick leading to the tying goal by the US was due to the Canadian goaltender holding the ball too long.

Well, I seen a lot of soccer and that seems to be a rare call. I can't remember if I ever seen such a call. How about you guys, does this happen often?

This one hurts a lot.

This game shouldn't have gone to extra time at all. Brutal calls by the refs and its impossible not to question their integrity. Either way, our girls played with HEART till the very end and Sinclair man... not enough phenomenal things can be said about her. Her hearts as big as Canada.

What a way we've come though... everyone involved with this Canadian womens team should be proud of their valiant effort. This team Canada showcased women's soccer at a world class level and they deserved a better fate.

Go Japan!

Really heartbreaking loss for Canada. But my god did Sinclair come to play, would've really liked to see her with a gold metal.

Yes the reffing was terrible, but I did anyone else see how little Canada seemed to be talking out there? They always seemed to give up the ball far too early

Clearly Canada needs to watch video of the Americans and how quick they get the ball down the field. Seems Canada took twice as long to cover the same distance. It's hard though, the US has the NCAA which grooms and prepares girls better for professional life.

Atrocious reffing but we were up 3 separate times in this game. And we were 30 seconds away from penalty kicks where we all know anything can happen. It just didn't go our way.

The team will never read this but they should know one thing:

Today they brought a nation to a standstill. Today a group of WOMEN had the entire country behind them. That didn't used to happen back in the day. There was a time not too long ago where women were told, where I myself was told "you can't play a sport for a living. Women don't do that. They cook and clean and go to a 9-5 job. They don't play sports." Canada was never even supposed to have a chance in this match. But on the back of Christine Sinclair whose performance will go down as one of the greatest in history, they came oh so close. They made believers out of non-believers. They made supporters out of cynics. And they made dreamers out of the next generation.

For that they deserve a standing ovation. Thank you Team Canada.

Very too bad. I really feel for Team Canada, especialy Christine Sinclair. Yes it's a team game, but what a performence she had today. You really hope she can do it again for a Bronze medal, it would be absolutely heartbreaking now for them to leave without a medal.

Canadian players think it was fixed. Looked at my DVR Solo held the ball for 10 seconds 3 times, and nothing was called. Minuted before the US PK a ball hit an US players arm 10 feet away from the ref, and it was not called. Her arm was outsider her body when the ball hit it, the Canadians players arm was with in her body, most refs would not call that, let alone a free kick (first time ever in Olympic history) in the PK area.

How can I disagree with them, with all these facts? It LOOKED fixed.

I really hope Canada can win the Bronze medal. After being robbed today, the very least is to take home a medal, they certainly deserve one. It would be very disappointing and crushing if they don't win it, especially knowing that they were 10 minutes away from playing for the gold medal. I wouldn't have been nearly as heartbroken and angry if Canada lost on a fair play. The refs decided the game, not the players.

Unfortunately, the ref spoiled a potential once in a lifetime chance for this team to play for gold. Beyond the World Cup final, it does not get any bigger than this, as far as the magnitude and stakes go. In the end, this team made Canada proud and put in an inspiring performance. There is nothing to be ashamed of. Today, this team showed that more than belonged with the sport's best in the world.

Hope the players are more mentally strong than I am. I'm still devastated for them. It's the same feeling from when we lost game 7 to Boston - so close yet so far. They're going to need to regroup pretty fast. A bronze would still be an amazing accomplishment but it won't be easy, especially if they have nothing left in the tank both physically and emotionally.

Archived