The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olympic Women's Soccer

ckamo

That's the thing, when has FIFA ever suspended anyone over post-game comments especially without a warning. If this was the men's game you would never hear such a thing from FIFA.Guess they want to throw the book at someone might as well be a women, because who cares about women's soccer anyways. Bunch of corrupt old men ruining the beautiful game.

On another note I wanted the Japanese women to win, but Solo's comments have put me over the top. I hope the States get their asses handed to them on a silver platter, a demolition job never seen before in Olympic soccer. Someone needs to knock Solo off her pedestal.

By the way, as bad as the game of football/soccer has become in terms of diving and manipulating the ref for calls, don't kid yourselves for a second and think that this is only true of football.

Don't we all gripe about all the diving that's happening in the NHL? This is the result of top-tier athletes doing absolutely anything and everything to give their team an advantage. That's part of winning. Just how it is.

Yeah, the call was most definitely wrong, on all accounts. Anyone who thinks otherwise just doesn't know the game of soccer. There are no goalkeepers who get rid of the ball within 6 seconds when their team is nursing a lead. It just doesn't happen. Considering the time it takes to get up, for your teammates to run up the field, to have a look around, decide where to kick the ball, and then the actual action of kicking the ball, it's never 6 seconds. Hell, it's never even 6 seconds when your team is losing and you're trying to catch up.

The 6-second rule is just one of those official things that are there in place to act as a guideline so that it doesn't get out of hand.

The truth is, however, that the entire match was just a crap-fest of horrible officiating. There were fouls committed against and by both sides. Tancredi deserved a card for stepping on Lloyd's head. I'm sorry, but any competent ref sees that in any of the big leagues (EPL, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga, etc.) shows a card for that stomp/step on Lloyd's head. You can say she tried to hop out of the way, but it's quite clear her foot accelerates downward.

But that's just it, that wasn't called. Nor was Rapinoe's handball. Nor were the other multitudes of fouls. It was just a horrible display of officiating.

A ref of high calibre knows that you CANNOT decide a game that way. At that point in the game, with 12 minutes left, there is absolutely no ???? way you make a delay-of-game call on a goalkeeper. Any serious soccer fan will tell you they have never, ever seen that call made in any match they've watched. Ever. Giving a free kick in that position is far too harsh a penalty for a goalie holding onto the ball for a couple extra seconds. Let's be clear here. A few extra seconds. How many times did Erin McLeod do it? How much time did she waste in total? Maybe at most 30 seconds?

Brutal.

By the way, as bad as the game of football/soccer has become in terms of diving and manipulating the ref for calls, don't kid yourselves for a second and think that this is only true of football.

Don't we all gripe about all the diving that's happening in the NHL? This is the result of top-tier athletes doing absolutely anything and everything to give their team an advantage. That's part of winning. Just how it is.

Yeah, the call was most definitely wrong, on all accounts. Anyone who thinks otherwise just doesn't know the game of soccer. There are no goalkeepers who get rid of the ball within 6 seconds when their team is nursing a lead. It just doesn't happen. Considering the time it takes to get up, for your teammates to run up the field, to have a look around, decide where to kick the ball, and then the actual action of kicking the ball, it's never 6 seconds. Hell, it's never even 6 seconds when your team is losing and you're trying to catch up.

The 6-second rule is just one of those official things that are there in place to act as a guideline so that it doesn't get out of hand.

The truth is, however, that the entire match was just a crap-fest of horrible officiating. There were fouls committed against and by both sides. Tancredi deserved a card for stepping on Lloyd's head. I'm sorry, but any competent ref sees that in any of the big leagues (EPL, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga, etc.) shows a card for that stomp/step on Lloyd's head. You can say she tried to hop out of the way, but it's quite clear her foot accelerates downward.

But that's just it, that wasn't called. Nor was Rapinoe's handball. Nor were the other multitudes of fouls. It was just a horrible display of officiating.

A ref of high calibre knows that you CANNOT decide a game that way. At that point in the game, with 12 minutes left, there is absolutely no ???? way you make a delay-of-game call on a goalkeeper. Any serious soccer fan will tell you they have never, ever seen that call made in any match they've watched. Ever. Giving a free kick in that position is far too harsh a penalty for a goalie holding onto the ball for a couple extra seconds. Let's be clear here. A few extra seconds. How many times did Erin McLeod do it? How much time did she waste in total? Maybe at most 30 seconds?

Brutal.

I am angered and upset by the officiating in the Canada - US match just like everyone else. The thing is... Pedersen made the correct call on McLeod by the letter of the law. It sucks, but, she made the correct technical decision.

With that said, I still think it was a horsesh!t call! It wasn't within the spirit of the match and there were a number of other instances in the match where the same call could have been made but wasn't. I have played and watched soccer all of my life and I have never seen this law applied in the same situation EVER.

The penalty call was shambolic. There was no intent to handle... there was no arm to ball motion... there was no way Matheson or Naude could get out of the way... absolute BS.

:towel::canucks:

FIFA has lost the plot. The ref's performance was bad enough, but you can just quietly never name her to another big match and be done with it. By actually coming out and announcing an investigation you're going to give more press time to the Canadian players' comments after the match not to mention open the debate over one of the greatest players in women's soccer history in Abby Wambach for influencing the referee. They should have kept quiet on this one.

lookee here, Hope Solo backtracking: "Ive said it all along...Sinclair could be the best player in the world. My hat goes off to her and the Canadian team. #fb "

I've watched many an interview of her's and I'm beginning to think that she just doesn't chose words well at all....

edit: dunno why my comment was in bold.

The fault here is that of FIFA. Matches of this importance should not be being officiated by such an inexperienced official.

Wambach knows this official is a newb and uses that to her advantage and bullies her. Can't say I blame her one bit for trying that. An experienced official with some backbone would have simply gone up to Wambach and said "Knock if off with the counting. I'm the official here not you. Got it? Once more time and you're getting a card".

A good player uses everything they have in their tool kit as long as the officials are going to allow it.

Like in hockey when a player tosses the puck over the glass. Suddenly all 5 opposing skaters have their hands in the air making sure the call is made. As if all on ice officials might miss the fact that there is no longer a puck to play with.

Sadly, this type of nonsense is to be expected at the Olympics. One need only look at the boxing and how many questionable decisions are now under review. With boxing it goes back ages. Shawn O'Sullivan anyone?

Once again the fault lies with FIFA and the Olympic committee for the boxing.

For the most part the Olympics are an amateur competition. Too bad this includes the refs.

Well I have to say God bless our women for a fantastic game and boo to the ref for such a bogus call. Also boo to the US player who was counting off seconds right beside the ref. However there is a big problem. Sinclair made a comment that suggested that the match was fixed before the first kick off. That's a BIG FIFA no no. I realise that our team is crushed by these two bad calls but I doubt anybody had the fix in before the game even started and to suggest that there was is going beyond merely complaining about inept officiating. I wouldn't be at all surpised if FIFA lowers the boom on Ms. Sinclair which would be too bad but she has to know by now that you can't accuse the Olympics themselves of cheating.

Archived