The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olympic Women's Soccer

ckamo

Christine Sinclair said they were robbed on the tying US goal. She said such calls are never made.

How did the referee determined that the goalkeeper kept the ball too long? I see all goaltenders taking a lot of time get ridding of the ball and they are never called.

It is basically a delay of game penalty but there was plenty of time left in the game. It was not like if it was in the final minute and the goaltender is trying to kill some time. A delay of a few seconds during that time period (around 14 minutes left) would not have affected the game but a free kick near the goal would definitely affect the outcome. And it did by giving the US the tying goal.

Christine Sinclair said they were robbed on the tying US goal. She said such calls are never made.

How did the referee determined that the goalkeeper kept the ball too long? I see all goaltenders taking a lot of time get ridding of the ball and they are never called.

It is basically a delay of game penalty but there was plenty of time left in the game. It was not like if it was in the final minute and the goaltender is trying to kill some time. A delay of a few seconds during that time period (around 14 minutes left) would not have affected the game but a free kick near the goal would definitely affect the outcome. And it did by giving the US the tying goal.

I was sorry to see them lose, but there were a few times leading up to that I was wondering how she was allowed to hold onto it for so long. It wasn't a surprise that she eventually got called on it.

If you don't know what to do with the ball, put it on the ground.

It doesn't get called that often because most goalies don't test the ref out on it.

I am still so incredibly livid at the officiating.

I don't want to put the tinfoil hat on, but that game seriously looked like there were shenanigans.

I've played soccer for over 20 years, and not once have I ever seen a ref call that be it in real life, or on TV. Ever.

The ref will give the goalie a verbal warning first if the ref deems the goalkeeper is deliberately wasting time.

The fact that Hope Solo held onto the ball for longer on 3 separate occasions is laughable.

frack, I can't believe how pissed I am, especially after Sinclair's heroic performance.

So, you guys think that the number #1 team in Women's soccer paid off the ref for fear of losing to Canada? Yeah, that sounds rational.

Anyways, changing the subject slightly... I noticed there were a lot of attractive women on the US and a couple for Canada. Have there been bikini team shots or anything sexy like that released of the teams?

So, you guys think that the number #1 team in Women's soccer paid off the ref for fear of losing to Canada? Yeah, that sounds rational.

Anyways, changing the subject slightly... I noticed there were a lot of attractive women on the US and a couple for Canada. Have there been bikini team shots or anything sexy like that released of the teams?

As a long time CanWNT I'm very glad that so many here and across the nation have gotten behind this team. I'm so incredibly proud of the team for the performance they put out today. Although these games aren't over yet, it needs to be said that we can't let this just die off after the Bronze Medal game. Please keep supporting them whether it's watching their games on TV or going out to the games (especially with 2015 WWC coming to Canada).

How about the fixing in badminton that occur last week? Remember the two teams keep hitting the net and standing around.

It does occur. Maybe the ref was paid off. Who knows?

BTW, if the ref was paid, it would unlikely to the knowledge of the US players and coaches. It would be higher up the food chain.

How about another theory? Maybe the ref was paid off by the bookmakers, those guys who take bets. The bookies would stand to lose a lot of money if Canada won.

Gambling and organized crime go hand in hand.

How about the fixing in badminton that occur last week? Remember the two teams keep hitting the net and standing around.

It does occur. Maybe the ref was paid off. Who knows?

BTW, if the ref was paid, it would unlikely to the knowledge of the US players and coaches. It would be higher up the food chain.

How about another theory? Maybe the ref was paid off by the bookmakers, those guys who take bets. The bookies would stand to lose a lot of money if Canada won.

Gambling and organized crime go hand in hand.

Hope Solo tested positive for Canrenone just two months ago, but the issue was it was a U.S. Anti-Doping Agency drug test not a IOC one. Making an odd precedent the USADA decided not to suspend her, and make her ineligible for the Olympics.

http://espn.go.com/olympics/summer/2012/soccer/story/_/id/8144953/hope-solo-gets-warning-usada-drug-test-play-olympics

One MAJOR issue here, she admitted to taking it, and it never showed up in her IOC drug tests. She was/is clearly taking something to cover it up.

This stinks, people have been banned from Olympics for taking this drug, and it magically got out of her system in 2 months, when it takes 6 months to live your system. Also USADA decided not to suspend her, when they have suspended several other athletes for it?

My point out of all this(not only the fact she should not have been playing) is that US Soccer and USOC clearly have been doing shady things. The USOC has actually had members arrested from the 2002 Salt Lake City bribery scandal. These are big corporations whose hands are anything but clean.

This is getting ridiculous.

I started watching the game at around 20 minutes and up until the half, the calls were favouring Canada. I don't think it was a particularly strong referee but the bad calls she was making were even. It was unfortunate that the ones against Canada came at inopportune times.

To people say it was just bad, inept than why did the ref not call Hope Solo for holding the ball for 10 seconds twice, and not give Canada that PK 2 min before the American one? Look at the reply she is looking right at it, and is 10 feet away, she chose not to see it.

Archived