The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olympic Women's Soccer

ckamo

Seems to be a standard tactic. The sport could do without whining and embellishing I agree, but the refereeing was so horrid yesterday that complaining was warranted from both teams. Like I said, I still put he blame squarely on Pedersen's shoulders for a) being a bad referee and b )not handling that call well at all.

Edit: and just to note that when I described her as classy, I was referring to her comments post match.

like it or not, it won them the game.

this is the state of socc.. er, football. it's a game that is won and lost by cheating on one level or another.

as much as i felt annoyed by the outcome of the game, as a fan of the sport, i'm also just aware that it's how the soccer cookie crumbles.

i was shocked at how poor the quality of play was at times. it's weird to see how talented some players are, and how poor others were. did you see towards the end of the game where the ball was literally bouncing right outside the 6 yard box in front of the american keeper?

at what level of play do you learn to clear the ball from the goal area? that is more or less the first rule of the sport, and here they are letting it happen in the olympics. haha.

It looked more to me like her back foot made contact with the fallen body and she instinctively repositioned herself and the foot landed on the side of the head. There's no way you can derive malicious intent from a player that's hopping to reposition themselves. She didn't 'stomp' on her either.

I've done that and had it happen to me while playing football, rugby, floor hockey. I've never intended to hit or hurt someone but when you're hopping around and your mind is focusing on the play in front of you, sometime a limb lands on or comes into contact with an opposing player, or even teammate, unintentionally.

It looked more to me like her back foot made contact with the fallen body and she instinctively repositioned herself and the foot landed on the side of the head. There's no way you can derive malicious intent from a player that's hopping to reposition themselves. She didn't 'stomp' on her either.

I've done that and had it happen to me while playing football, rugby, floor hockey. I've never intended to hit or hurt someone but when you're hopping around and your mind is focusing on the play in front of you, sometime a limb lands on or comes into contact with an opposing player, or even teammate, unintentionally.

My thoughts exactly.......and while Tancredi played with a bit of a nasty edge the entire game.......attributing malicious intent to that move looks like it could be a bit of a reach. Unfortunately the prior fouls with that nasty edge may be seen as a precedent for the contact with Lloyd's head regardless of whether it was 'incidental contact' or 'deliberate'.

I've had that happen to me to when playing soccer and it's the first thing I thought of when I saw the vid.......been there, done that, nothing malicious involved ...just trying to reposition yourself without losing your centre of gravity so as to still be on balance and in position for the continuation of the game.

That said......the vid...to people who haven't played sports......... looks pretty damning, I'm sure. :(

And I'm sure the only reason the US media are all over this is because Canada didn't fold their tents and slink quietly away with their tails between their legs after that travesty of a soccer match yesterday.

But see how it looks to people that follow Women's Soccer outside of Canada.

Leading up to the game, Canada was complaining about the US using "illegal" tactics in their set pieces.

Afterwords, they are complaining about the officiating.

This is the perfect time for Canada to show how professional and gracious they are by going at France as hard as they can, and keeping their mouths shut in doing so.

Easy to say when you're sitting in your armchair watching on TV.

Try putting yourself in the position of those ladies. After an extremely disappointing World Cup, here they are with the upset of the World's #1 team and a shot at gold in their sights, only to have it stolen away by a technicality which is never called.

For some of these women, including the finest footballer to ever represent Canada, this may have been the last chance they ever get. I'm reasonably sure that they would tell you to take your "be professional and gracious" and shove it.

Well, it might cost Canada an additional medal if suspensions come down instead of fines. Canada had a chance to take the high road here and they didn't take it. The Canadian women were fighting for respect on an international stage and I don't believe this is how to do it. Some people need to take a step back from this issue though. You're right though, it is easy for me to say and I'm in the same position as anyone else is this thread. I was very disappointed when they lost and but even moreso when I heard them handle it poorly.

I had laughed at some of the responses in this thread because it ranged the gamut from asserting that Women's Soccer must be fixed to justifying whining about it because (apparently) the US would have done the same if they lost(!!!). I'm not trying to play devil's advocate here, I am legitimately taken aback at how petty some fans are and have discarded their Olympic spirit for sour grapes.

I wasn't justifying it by saying the US would have done the same. I was stating a fact that the US media, fans, and players would be ALL over it...even more so than Canadians if the tables were turned. Do I wish the Canadians hadn't said what they said? No. I'm glad Sinclair finally spoke her mind. She felt she was robbed of an earned win and she has the right to be upset about it. Perhaps her insinuation that the match was fixed was unwarranted but I'm glad she voiced her displeasure over the officiating which, as I've said over and over, was atrocious for both teams.

I wasn't justifying it by saying the US would have done the same. I was stating a fact that the US media, fans, and players would be ALL over it...even more so than Canadians if the tables were turned.

You're bang on about Tancredi playing on the edge yesterday, BB. I don't know the numbers but, Tancredi probably had half a dozen fouls. If the ref had control, she would have cautioned a number of players for persistent fouling including Tancredi.

Archived