I'm blind I'm deaf I want to be a ref

#62 StenMan.EXE

StenMan.EXE

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 02:33 PM

Women's Soccer: The only sport that has worse reffing then professional wrestling.... and today's game showed that. I feel really bad for the Canadians, they played so well too.

#63 Nevlach

Nevlach

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,020 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 02:35 PM

Don't forget we were in the game until the very end. Failure to clear the ball from our side of the field led to the game-winning goal. Our defenders should have just kicked the ball out and provided some distance rather than head it straight upward twice. That's the soccer equivalent of not clearing the defensive zone in the final minute of the match.

Oh well. It was a valiant effort by Team Canada, and an outstanding performance by Sinclair. Indecisiveness from the Canadian players, a few major miscues, and some shady officiating led to the end result.

I agree but don't forget we were only in ET due to a blown call by the ref.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#64 DonLever

DonLever

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,260 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 02:38 PM

CTV said the reason for the free kick leading to the tying goal by the US was due to the Canadian goaltender holding the ball too long.

Well, I seen a lot of soccer and that seems to be a rare call. I can't remember if I ever seen such a call. How about you guys, does this happen often?

#65 WeatherWise

WeatherWise

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 02:38 PM

No chance. The US didn't have a shot on net at half, our defence was really solid until they started to tire out.

We shot ourselves in one foot on the first goal, and the ref shot us in the other on the 3rd, but overall we deserve to be playing for gold.

Our defender should have challenged the opposing player on the second goal against. Too much indecisiveness allowed the American player to take her time. We can't fault anyone but ourselves for the first two. The third goal was bogus, but I've never appreciated that aspect of soccer. The handball rule always seemed quite unfair to me, and the free kick prior to that was unexpected.

We should have won the match, but the game certainly was not over in extra time. We made a crucial mistake at the end of the game and cost ourselves a chance. Disappointing.

Edited by WeatherWise, 06 August 2012 - 02:43 PM.

The greatest segue into a weather segment.

#66 Femme.Canuck

Femme.Canuck

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 02:41 PM

This one hurts a lot.

This game shouldn't have gone to extra time at all. Brutal calls by the refs and its impossible not to question their integrity. Either way, our girls played with HEART till the very end and Sinclair man... not enough phenomenal things can be said about her. Her hearts as big as Canada.

What a way we've come though... everyone involved with this Canadian womens team should be proud of their valiant effort. This team Canada showcased women's soccer at a world class level and they deserved a better fate.

Go Japan!

One City. One Team. One Dream.

Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose

#67 CaNuCkSLoUiE23

CaNuCkSLoUiE23

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,367 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 02:50 PM

brutal brutal reffing ...

alex morgan is so sexy

F YOU ALEX MORGAN!!!

<3

#68 parhar87

parhar87

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 02:50 PM

Really heartbreaking loss for Canada. But my god did Sinclair come to play, would've really liked to see her with a gold metal.

Yes the reffing was terrible, but I did anyone else see how little Canada seemed to be talking out there? They always seemed to give up the ball far too early

#69 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,991 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 02:54 PM

Clearly Canada needs to watch video of the Americans and how quick they get the ball down the field. Seems Canada took twice as long to cover the same distance. It's hard though, the US has the NCAA which grooms and prepares girls better for professional life.
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#70 WeatherWise

WeatherWise

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 02:57 PM

Really heartbreaking loss for Canada. But my god did Sinclair come to play, would've really liked to see her with a gold metal.

Yes the reffing was terrible, but I did anyone else see how little Canada seemed to be talking out there? They always seemed to give up the ball far too early

Unfortunately, there were some poor decisions by the Canadians today. They offered the Americans a few easy corner kicks by clearing it towards the end of the field when they had space to maneuver. Kyle had a two-on-one opportunity with Sinclair and opted to shoot from long distance as well. The Canadians didn't exactly play a perfect game, but they had a chance. Poor decisions, slow decision making, and an unfortunate third goal resulted in the loss. Three of the four goals were due to mental mistakes. Goal 1: poor defense and goaltending on the corner kick; goal 2: the defense sitting back and allowing Rapinoe so much time to gauge her shot; goal 4: failure to clear the ball twice in the dying seconds. Sinclair fought for all three of her goals, but it seems the team handed the Americans three of their own.

Oh well. We'll have another opportunity to support them on Thursday.

Edited by WeatherWise, 06 August 2012 - 03:07 PM.

The greatest segue into a weather segment.

#71 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 25,497 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 03:12 PM

POPULAR

Atrocious reffing but we were up 3 separate times in this game. And we were 30 seconds away from penalty kicks where we all know anything can happen. It just didn't go our way.

The team will never read this but they should know one thing:

Today they brought a nation to a standstill. Today a group of WOMEN had the entire country behind them. That didn't used to happen back in the day. There was a time not too long ago where women were told, where I myself was told "you can't play a sport for a living. Women don't do that. They cook and clean and go to a 9-5 job. They don't play sports." Canada was never even supposed to have a chance in this match. But on the back of Christine Sinclair whose performance will go down as one of the greatest in history, they came oh so close. They made believers out of non-believers. They made supporters out of cynics. And they made dreamers out of the next generation.

For that they deserve a standing ovation. Thank you Team Canada.
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#72 AllHailSmyl

AllHailSmyl

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,686 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 03:21 PM

Very too bad. I really feel for Team Canada, especialy Christine Sinclair. Yes it's a team game, but what a performence she had today. You really hope she can do it again for a Bronze medal, it would be absolutely heartbreaking now for them to leave without a medal.

By the way learn how to spell SHIRIKOV who is this shirakov

Amazingly on his first shift Kassian would have had a breakaway if Kesler knew how to pass. And he still got switched with Weiss. And note it is "Weiss" not "Wise".

#73 MrsCanuck

MrsCanuck

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,629 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 03:25 PM

Spectacular game. Devastating result.

Reffing was disgusting and Sinclair is a hero.

Hoping our Canadian women will have that bronze medal around their necks come Thursday!
Posted Image

#74 marleau_12

marleau_12

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,286 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 03:27 PM

Still pissed as frack. This is right up there with some of my top disappointments.
Posted Image

#75 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 03:37 PM

Officiating was nowhere near as bad as Canada v USA in women's hockey in Salt Lake City.
I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#76 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,368 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 03:41 PM

Still pissed as frack. This is right up there with some of my top disappointments.

Yah me too....I'm super choked.

So proud of the girls though. They did an amazing job, against all odds. I know Christine Sinclair doesn't like the spotlight but she just catapaulted from star to super star! Inspiring performance by a Canadian legend!
Posted Image

#77 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 25,497 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 03:41 PM

Officiating was nowhere near as bad as Canada v USA in women's hockey in Salt Lake City.

Agreed

Posted Image

#78 gmen81

gmen81

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,980 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 03:46 PM

I've never been a soccer fan at all, but I've always wondered if I would be more into it if Canada was good(Men's team). I think I know my answer now after watching the Womens team.
Posted Image

#79 cs2016

cs2016

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 04:41 PM

Man it's really too bad Sinclair isn't going to get chance to play for gold. After all she has done for Canada and her entire career I really hope she gets at least a medal. c

#80 Kamero89

Kamero89

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 05:11 PM

Canadian players think it was fixed. Looked at my DVR Solo held the ball for 10 seconds 3 times, and nothing was called. Minuted before the US PK a ball hit an US players arm 10 feet away from the ref, and it was not called. Her arm was outsider her body when the ball hit it, the Canadians players arm was with in her body, most refs would not call that, let alone a free kick (first time ever in Olympic history) in the PK area.

How can I disagree with them, with all these facts? It LOOKED fixed.

#81 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 05:13 PM

Man it's really too bad Sinclair isn't going to get chance to play for gold. After all she has done for Canada and her entire career I really hope she gets at least a medal. c

definately she get a medal.........but she could get another championship in 3 year during the world cup in 2015 which is being played in Canada

One day some of us will look back on the year and look at the chicago, and most of us will realize that it was a small bump in the road to the cup

WIN THE CUP FOR SALO CAMPAIGN

#82 van_ws

van_ws

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 05:50 PM

I really hope Canada can win the Bronze medal. After being robbed today, the very least is to take home a medal, they certainly deserve one. It would be very disappointing and crushing if they don't win it, especially knowing that they were 10 minutes away from playing for the gold medal. I wouldn't have been nearly as heartbroken and angry if Canada lost on a fair play. The refs decided the game, not the players.

Unfortunately, the ref spoiled a potential once in a lifetime chance for this team to play for gold. Beyond the World Cup final, it does not get any bigger than this, as far as the magnitude and stakes go. In the end, this team made Canada proud and put in an inspiring performance. There is nothing to be ashamed of. Today, this team showed that more than belonged with the sport's best in the world.

#83 Kamero89

Kamero89

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 06:02 PM

I am literally looking at video of Hope Solo holding the ball for double the time in the SAME GAME #Fixed

#84 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 25,497 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:26 PM

Hope the players are more mentally strong than I am. I'm still devastated for them. It's the same feeling from when we lost game 7 to Boston - so close yet so far. They're going to need to regroup pretty fast. A bronze would still be an amazing accomplishment but it won't be easy, especially if they have nothing left in the tank both physically and emotionally.
Posted Image

#85 Hank33

Hank33

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:58 PM

I suppose the better team won, though. The only reason we were in it was because of Christine Sinclair's amazing performance. At least we have an opportunity for the bronze medal on Thursday.

OK the better team on paper won. We were the better team today and got robbed by the ref. That's the first time I've ever seen a delay of game call on the goalie and in a semi-final in the olympics no less

#86 DonLever

DonLever

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,260 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:07 PM

Christine Sinclair said they were robbed on the tying US goal. She said such calls are never made.

How did the referee determined that the goalkeeper kept the ball too long? I see all goaltenders taking a lot of time get ridding of the ball and they are never called.

It is basically a delay of game penalty but there was plenty of time left in the game. It was not like if it was in the final minute and the goaltender is trying to kill some time. A delay of a few seconds during that time period (around 14 minutes left) would not have affected the game but a free kick near the goal would definitely affect the outcome. And it did by giving the US the tying goal.

Edited by DonLever, 06 August 2012 - 09:08 PM.

#87 Kamero89

Kamero89

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:26 PM

Christine Sinclair said they were robbed on the tying US goal. She said such calls are never made.

How did the referee determined that the goalkeeper kept the ball too long? I see all goaltenders taking a lot of time get ridding of the ball and they are never called.

It is basically a delay of game penalty but there was plenty of time left in the game. It was not like if it was in the final minute and the goaltender is trying to kill some time. A delay of a few seconds during that time period (around 14 minutes left) would not have affected the game but a free kick near the goal would definitely affect the outcome. And it did by giving the US the tying goal.

Their goalie held the ball longer in that game on 3 different occasions!

#88 Kamero89

Kamero89

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:33 PM

Agreed
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkLR5g_-IMI

That was an American ref too. NO IDEA why that was not investigated. Then again that was the same Olympics that had other fixing issues (remember the figure skating scandal among others?), and members of the Salt Lake City government jailed because they bribed IOC officials to get the Olympics.

FIFA and the IOC officials have a bad history of their officials accepting bribes, why is our media just ignoring the "fixing" word when even our players are throwing it out there?! I have NEVER heard a Canadian athlete say that. It is a story they are saying it alone!

Edited by Kamero89, 06 August 2012 - 09:33 PM.

#89 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,773 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:35 PM

I was sorry to see them lose, but there were a few times leading up to that I was wondering how she was allowed to hold onto it for so long. It wasn't a surprise that she eventually got called on it.

If you don't know what to do with the ball, put it on the ground.
It doesn't get called that often because most goalies don't test the ref out on it.

#90 ckamo

ckamo

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,388 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:37 PM

Well, I seen a lot of soccer and that seems to be a rare call. I can't remember if I ever seen such a call. How about you guys, does this happen often?

Never. Or at least very very rarely and DEFINITELY not with only 15 minutes to go and the game on the line.

The handball rule always seemed quite unfair to me, and the free kick prior to that was unexpected.

Kara Lang discussed this call after the game. It was also a dodgy call as it was ball to hand, not hand to ball. As in Nault (or Matheson) didn't move her hand to obstruct the path of the ball, she just had no time to react to the ball coming at her.
I'm not too sure about this myself, but if that is the case then Canada was doubly gypped.

The US has the NCAA which grooms and prepares girls better for professional life.

Actually, most, if not all of our players played in the NCAA. IMHO the biggest difference is that USSoccer actually has the money and puts money into their women's program. I'm not saying CSA doesn't support the women's side (though many will go as far as that), but Canada doesn't get to plays as mainly friendly matches BECAUSE we lack the funding. To host a friendly in Canada, we need to foot the bill for the visiting team and CSA claims that doing so would bankrupt them (my gut instinct is to call BS on that, but I don't balance their books). The US program has the money to invite teams in to play and thus don't need to rely on being invited to tournaments or friendlies elsewhere.

Although I agree, they are different games.

How did the referee determined that the goalkeeper kept the ball too long? I see all goaltenders taking a lot of time get ridding of the ball and they are never called..

6 second rule, though usually never called. If the ref was going to call Canada for time wasting she should have done so on a throw in like last game vs GB rather than on the GK where it more than likely directly leads to a good scoring chance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.