341 replies to this topic

#91 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,990 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:42 PM

I am still so incredibly livid at the officiating.

I don't want to put the tinfoil hat on, but that game seriously looked like there were shenanigans.

I've played soccer for over 20 years, and not once have I ever seen a ref call that be it in real life, or on TV. Ever.

The ref will give the goalie a verbal warning first if the ref deems the goalkeeper is deliberately wasting time.

The fact that Hope Solo held onto the ball for longer on 3 separate occasions is laughable.

frack, I can't believe how pissed I am, especially after Sinclair's heroic performance.

Edited by Jai604, 06 August 2012 - 09:46 PM.

RIP LB RR PD

#92 250Integra

250Integra

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,067 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:47 PM

This is what I think:

USA couldn't stand Canada beating them again on the grandest stage of sports so they decided to throw a lot little bit of money at the ref.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Thanks for the Memories Canada!!!
Thanks for everything Naslund!
Original creator of the WWE and the Rate my sig / Showoff thread

#93 DonLever

DonLever

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,185 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:49 PM

In this The Star article, the American coach, Pia Sundhage, said said she never saw such a call ever being made. And she has been coaching a long time.

http://www.thestar.c...occer-semifinal

And when the ref was approached by Canadian players, she just giggled.

#94 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,703 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:50 PM

So, you guys think that the number #1 team in Women's soccer paid off the ref for fear of losing to Canada? Yeah, that sounds rational.

Anyways, changing the subject slightly... I noticed there were a lot of attractive women on the US and a couple for Canada. Have there been bikini team shots or anything sexy like that released of the teams?

#95 Kamero89

Kamero89

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:57 PM

So, you guys think that the number #1 team in Women's soccer paid off the ref for fear of losing to Canada? Yeah, that sounds rational.

Anyways, changing the subject slightly... I noticed there were a lot of attractive women on the US and a couple for Canada. Have there been bikini team shots or anything sexy like that released of the teams?

This statement is soo ignorant. A fixing situation happened with a top team in Italy (which was under FIFA sanctions) there was also point shaving incidents in basketball, which HELPED the Lakers win, you know the best team in the world at the time. There has also been around 20 different Olympics that have had at least one fixing issue, and this one has already had trouble with their boxing refs.

Your comment is so dumb, MOST fixing issues in major sports have ALWAYS revolved around one of the best teams in the league they were in.

Your last comment is just rude. Unless you have respect for others, people will continue not to show you any.

Edited by Kamero89, 06 August 2012 - 10:00 PM.

#96 Champions of Nothing

Champions of Nothing

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 30,961 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:57 PM

Well, they were losing on 3 separate occasions, as well as at the time of the calls in question.

Posted ImagePosted Image
Sig by Ranyart. FEEL FREE TO USE EITHER!

VOTE FOR EDLER!

And might as well vote for Daniel, Henrik, Kesler, Luongo and..... I guess Aaron Rome?

#97 ckamo

ckamo

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,335 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:59 PM

As a long time CanWNT I'm very glad that so many here and across the nation have gotten behind this team. I'm so incredibly proud of the team for the performance they put out today. Although these games aren't over yet, it needs to be said that we can't let this just die off after the Bronze Medal game. Please keep supporting them whether it's watching their games on TV or going out to the games (especially with 2015 WWC coming to Canada).

I don't think the ref was paid off by the states to favour them...especially when there were blown calls BOTH WAYS. However, I wouldn't be surprised if the ref had been approached beforehand and told that the USA winning would be the preferred outcome. Unfortunately the USA scored on a controversial call, but I won't hold it against them. I have a lot of respect for players like Wambach, Rapinoe and Morgan...and if we're going to lose, I'd rather us have lost to the best.
Edit: sigh...I say I don't think the ref was paid off....maybe it's more I just don't want to BELIEVE that this sport...this women's game that I loved for so long could be so tainted.

Edited by ckamo, 06 August 2012 - 10:11 PM.

#98 The Brahma Bull

The Brahma Bull

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:00 PM

They were down and a spot in the Gold medal game was on the line. It's quite rational.

#99 DonLever

DonLever

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,185 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:07 PM

How about the fixing in badminton that occur last week? Remember the two teams keep hitting the net and standing around.

It does occur. Maybe the ref was paid off. Who knows?

BTW, if the ref was paid, it would unlikely to the knowledge of the US players and coaches. It would be higher up the food chain.

How about another theory? Maybe the ref was paid off by the bookmakers, those guys who take bets. The bookies would stand to lose a lot of money if Canada won.

Gambling and organized crime go hand in hand.

Edited by DonLever, 06 August 2012 - 10:15 PM.

#100 ckamo

ckamo

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,335 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:15 PM

BTW, if the ref was paid, it would unlikely to the knowledge of the US players and coaches. It would be higher up the food chain.

In all honesty? I agree. If someone wanted to fix this match, it would go to the organizers. Canada vs. Japan would sell less tickets and draw less attention than a USA vs. Japan rematch. So you'd be looking at the LOCOG or FIFA itself (promotional reasons). Again...I just really really don't want to believe it is possible for the game to be this tainted...one that I'd long been saying is more pure, more entertaining, and humbler than the men's game.

Edited by ckamo, 06 August 2012 - 10:15 PM.

#101 Kamero89

Kamero89

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:30 PM

How about the fixing in badminton that occur last week? Remember the two teams keep hitting the net and standing around.

It does occur. Maybe the ref was paid off. Who knows?

How about another theory? Maybe the ref was paid off by the bookmakers, those guys who take bets. The bookies would stand to lose a lot of money if Canada won.

Gambling and organized crime go hand in hand.

There are a ton of betting shops in London, maybe she bet on the game? If it were organizers, they would have screwed Canada in the QF against team GB. The USOC is corrupt. They paid off high ranking Olympic officials in the passed to get the 1996 and 2002 Olympic games. It could be them?

To people say it was just bad, inept than why did the ref not call Hope Solo for holding the ball for 10 seconds twice, and not give Canada that PK 2 min before the American one? Look at the reply she is looking right at it, and is 10 feet away, she chose not to see it.

Edited by Kamero89, 06 August 2012 - 10:30 PM.

#102 Canucksbiggestfan

Canucksbiggestfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,027 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:42 PM

I have to say that Wilkinson and Kyle really messed started to mess up near the end. I mean Kyle with the two-on-one opted to shoot and Wilkinson seemed to give away the ball at key moments.

Reffing was also horrendous, all we can hope for now is at least the Bronze medal.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#103 Kamero89

Kamero89

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:50 PM

Hope Solo tested positive for Canrenone just two months ago, but the issue was it was a U.S. Anti-Doping Agency drug test not a IOC one. Making an odd precedent the USADA decided not to suspend her, and make her ineligible for the Olympics.

http://espn.go.com/o...t-play-olympics

One MAJOR issue here, she admitted to taking it, and it never showed up in her IOC drug tests. She was/is clearly taking something to cover it up.

This stinks, people have been banned from Olympics for taking this drug, and it magically got out of her system in 2 months, when it takes 6 months to live your system. Also USADA decided not to suspend her, when they have suspended several other athletes for it?

My point out of all this(not only the fact she should not have been playing) is that US Soccer and USOC clearly have been doing shady things. The USOC has actually had members arrested from the 2002 Salt Lake City bribery scandal. These are big corporations whose hands are anything but clean.

#104 :D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,703 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:51 PM

This is getting ridiculous.

I started watching the game at around 20 minutes and up until the half, the calls were favouring Canada. I don't think it was a particularly strong referee but the bad calls she was making were even. It was unfortunate that the ones against Canada came at inopportune times.

To people say it was just bad, inept than why did the ref not call Hope Solo for holding the ball for 10 seconds twice, and not give Canada that PK 2 min before the American one? Look at the reply she is looking right at it, and is 10 feet away, she chose not to see it.

There is a difference between holding onto the ball a few seconds too long when backs are turned and the ref is heading up field compared to counting the seconds while everyone is waiting for the play to begin. It's not a common call and there are reports that the Canadian goalie had been issued a warning and for all anyone knows, maybe Solo was too.

If you want to really dissect the loss, start with a player scoring on a corner kick and work your way out from there.

http://www.ctvolympi...-the-score.html

#105 Champions of Nothing

Champions of Nothing

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 30,961 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:56 PM

I started watching the game at around 20 minutes and up until the half, the calls were favouring Canada. I don't think it was a particularly strong referee but the bad calls she was making were even. It was unfortunate that the ones against Canada came at inopportune times.

There is a difference between holding onto the ball a few seconds too long when backs are turned and the ref is heading up field compared to counting the seconds while everyone is waiting for the play to begin. It's not a common call and there are reports that the Canadian goalie had been issued a warning and for all anyone knows, maybe Solo was too.

If you want to really dissect the loss, start with a player scoring on a corner kick and work your way out from there.

That'd be called goalie interference in the NHL...

Posted ImagePosted Image
Sig by Ranyart. FEEL FREE TO USE EITHER!

VOTE FOR EDLER!

And might as well vote for Daniel, Henrik, Kesler, Luongo and..... I guess Aaron Rome?

#106 :D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,703 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:59 PM

That'd be called goalie interference in the NHL...

I've got it. McLeod was paid off by this Women's Soccer Illuminati to let that one in, then to hold onto the ball too long in order to lure the referee into calling a rarely used rule.

This goes all the way to the President.

#107 gmen81

gmen81

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,713 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:01 PM

I don't know the rules of soccer at all, but I don't think the Canadian fans are complaining about the free kick calls that happen throughout the game. They are talking about the free-kick call in the 18 yard box on a bogus call that has never been called to everyone's knowledge.

Again I don't know the ruling on the hand-ball call, but from what I read it seems that it was the wrong call again, Also earlier the game the US has a blatant handball in the 18 yard box that wasn't called.
Posted Image

#108 :D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,703 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:08 PM

There's a lot of good stuff out there: http://coedmagazine....er-team-photos/

#109 ckamo

ckamo

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,335 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:08 PM

As I said, calls were bad all around...which is why I initially and still don't want to think there was fixing. Very soon before the missed handball by Rapinoe in their 18yd box, Matheson made a bad challenge on Wambach (or maybe Morgan)....just blatant and left uncalled. It's just that the one that WAS called is SO uncommon....she could have easily carded someone for wasting time on a throw in (if they were indeed wasting time, I didn't notice this) like last game. McLeod said she got a vague warning from the 2nd official....but not a direct "you have 6 seconds to play that ball or we're giving the US a direct free kick". It's not IN the FIFA rules that a warning needs to be issued (going on Kate Markgarf's word here), but it's just in game common sense not to make a call like that late in the game and with the game on the line. The reffing was plain bad. And USWNT fans AREN'T talking about it right now because they won, but if Canada won they'd be calling for Pedersen's head too...but instead they are calling Sinclair a sore loser (who btw, is usually very soft spoken and doesn't complain)...go figure.

#110 ckamo

ckamo

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,335 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:11 PM

There's a lot of good stuff out there: http://coedmagazine....er-team-photos/

Could you not...please? At least not in this thread? I want this to be about soccer, not how attractive the players are. If you really want to discuss that please make another thread.

#111 :D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,703 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:17 PM

And USWNT fans AREN'T talking about it right now because they won, but if Canada won they'd be calling for Pedersen's head too...but instead they are calling Sinclair a sore loser (who btw, is usually very soft spoken and doesn't complain)...go figure.

But see how it looks to people that follow Women's Soccer outside of Canada.

Leading up to the game, Canada was complaining about the US using "illegal" tactics in their set pieces.
Afterwords, they are complaining about the officiating.

This is the perfect time for Canada to show how professional and gracious they are by going at France as hard as they can, and keeping their mouths shut in doing so.

#112 250Integra

250Integra

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,067 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:29 PM

Leading up to the game, Canada was complaining about the US using "illegal" tactics in their set pieces.

This is the perfect time for Canada to show how professional and gracious they are by going at France as hard as they can, and keeping their mouths shut in doing so.

Keeps their mouths shut when they were practically guaranteed a medal, to playing for 3rd place.

Okay.. :rolleyes:
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Thanks for the Memories Canada!!!
Thanks for everything Naslund!
Original creator of the WWE and the Rate my sig / Showoff thread

#113 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:32 PM

Keeps their mouths shut when they were practically guaranteed a medal, to playing for 3rd place.

Okay.. :rolleyes:

maybe the Canadian coach should not have complained about the US illegal tactics just like Daniel sedin comment on winning game 7........both comment backfired on their own team

One day some of us will look back on the year and look at the chicago, and most of us will realize that it was a small bump in the road to the cup

WIN THE CUP FOR SALO CAMPAIGN

#114 DonLever

DonLever

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,185 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:37 PM

If it was the USA had that controversary decision they would be screaming louder. Image the US media going ballistic.

#115 ckamo

ckamo

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,335 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:38 PM

maybe the Canadian coach should not have complained about the US illegal tactics just like Daniel sedin comment on winning game 7........both comment backfired on their own team

Herdman gambled and tried to give his team an advantage, maybe it backfired. Unless they ask Pedersen then we'll never know.

I would think that most people who watch soccer outside of the States would agree that Canada got robbed of that win...or at least the lead at that point given how the game was going. Even some USWNT fans have admitted this, saying that the Canadians have a right to be upset.

#116 M A K A V E L I 96

M A K A V E L I 96

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:39 PM

Posted Image

#117 ckamo

ckamo

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,335 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:43 PM

^^ What was with the end of that video...?

#118 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:55 PM

I'm going to have issues falling asleep tonight. Still can't believe what happened. A loss would have been ok but to get utterly screwed over like this?! It's painful as heck... Still so proud of the team. Can't wait for Burnaby to announce a "Christine Sinclair Field" or "Christine Sinclair Street". Permanently enshrined as a legend.
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#119 ckamo

ckamo

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,335 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:58 PM

Just watched some post-game comments from Abby Wambach. Classy lady.

Can't wait for Burnaby to announce a "Christine Sinclair Field" or "Christine Sinclair Street". Permanently enshrined as a legend.

Rename Burnaby South Secondary, hahaha.

Edited by ckamo, 07 August 2012 - 12:00 AM.

#120 Kamero89

Kamero89

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 12:45 AM

You are an idiot. The longest Solo held the ball is nearly double what our goalie did. Warning or not, the rule can not be called at will of the ref. British media reported this is the 1st time this rules has been used in the over 100 year history at the Olympics.

Yeah that makes a lot of sense, the 7th ever game this women has ever reffed, she is going to call something that has never been called in over 100 years of Olympic play.

To people outside of Canada, they also thought Canada got screwed. #CanadaGotRobbed was trending in Australia and the UK after the game. The British media has actually brought up the term "fixing" more so than our media. You are just trolling. No on agrees with you, yet you keeping fighting a fight that is annoying everyone. Get a life!

Edited by Kamero89, 07 August 2012 - 12:48 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.