Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * - - - 5 votes

Who Thinks Kesler's Best Days Are Behind Him? Say I!

• Please log in to reply
182 replies to this topic

#1 Pasific Coluseum

Pasific Coluseum

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:15 PM

POPULAR

This guy has had more injuries in the last year than I care to imagine. His point production has sharply dropped off. Its like he can't catch a break. I will absolutely amazed if he reached 30 goals this season.

Anyone else think he might drop down to 3rd line next year if we get a legit 2nd line center? I hope he bounces back but this being out till October thing has me freaked out. I also wouldn't object to trading him right now if we could bring in a legit superstar or even a Lupul & Colburne for Kesler & Schroeder

#2 marleau_12

marleau_12

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,286 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:15 PM

POPULAR

Idiots.
Posted Image

#3 Avicii

Avicii

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,363 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:16 PM

Definitely won't get back to a 40 goal season in a long time that's for sure..

But maybe if Gillis would stop being so naive and get a playmaker for him instead of getting like 50 PWF.

Posted Image

#4 Dayman

Dayman

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:17 PM

POPULAR

Anyone else think he might drop down to 3rd line next year if we get a legit 2nd line center?

:picard:

Obviously his production dropped this past year, he was injured... anyone thinking that Kesler is a 3rd line center or has his best days behind him is dumb.

#5 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,342 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:18 PM

POPULAR

Even during his injured season he managed to put up 50 points? That's not bad for a second line center. What do you want from the guy.

We've just gotten spoiled having our second line center be a 40 goal scorer.

Even if he's just a 30 goal scoring, 60-70 point guy, it still puts him up there with the best second line centers in the game.

Edited by DeNiro, 23 July 2012 - 11:18 PM.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#6 Pears

Pears

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,841 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:20 PM

POPULAR

Did you just say Kesler isn't a legit 2nd line center???? We're talking about a guy who won the Selke two years ago here.
Posted Image

Credit to (>'-')> for the amazing sig!!

#7 hockeyfan90

hockeyfan90

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:21 PM

POPULAR

Yep I think Kessel's best days are behind him

#8 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,913 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:22 PM

POPULAR

:lol:

You must have been the same guy screaming "Beast mode" when Kes had 40 goals.

its funny how 1 year can change your opinion.

What a bunch of crap.

Edited by Armada, 23 July 2012 - 11:22 PM.

Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#9 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,834 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:23 PM

Jesus f..

Are Edler's best days behind him too? The fact is players are not going to play up to their potential every year. Especially when they're injured. Players are going to have bad games, bad seasons, bad playoff series. Such is pro sports. It's reality

Not necessarily directed @ the OP. He is simply proposing the question. But people do believe this I'm sure
Posted Image

#10 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:24 PM

This guy has had more injuries in the last year than I care to imagine. His point production has sharply dropped off. Its like he can't catch a break. I will absolutely amazed if he reached 30 goals this season.

Anyone else think he might drop down to 3rd line next year if we get a legit 2nd line center? I hope he bounces back but this being out till October thing has me freaked out. I also wouldn't object to trading him right now if we could bring in a legit superstar or even a Lupul & Colburne for Kesler & Schroeder

So in your mind Kes is worth a superstar in return, but he's not good enough to score 30 goals next year??

Kesler + Schroeder for Lupul + Colborne??

Please don't make any more threads after sippin on Gin n' Juice.....please.

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#11 Everybody Hates Raymond

Everybody Hates Raymond

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:25 PM

Just you

#12 y0shi

y0shi

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,737 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:25 PM

Kesler's best days (40 goals, near PPG average) are likely behind him IMO. He gets a tonne of his point production on the PP though, so he'll still put up some points, but I don't think at the 40 goal level. 30 goals, maybe, but not 40.

That being said, so what? Just ask the San Jose Sharks who they'd rather have, 100 point regular season but No-show in the playoffs, or 70-80 pt, but best playoff performer?

Also, Lupul/Colborne for Kesler/Schroeder = are you high?

Edited by y0shi, 23 July 2012 - 11:26 PM.

CDCGML Posted Image - Tampa Bay Lightning

#13 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:29 PM

so you also think Crosby serious injury he wont be the same player............FAIL

please we need a Hockey IQ test or something

Edited by canuck_trevor16, 23 July 2012 - 11:30 PM.

One day some of us will look back on the year and look at the chicago, and most of us will realize that it was a small bump in the road to the cup

WIN THE CUP FOR SALO CAMPAIGN

#14 Gibbster

Gibbster

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:32 PM

So in your mind Kes is worth a superstar in return, but he's not good enough to score 30 goals next year??

Who is the Superstar in return? Lupul? Please......... I think you be sippin'

to the O.P. No.....his best days aren't behind him. Don't expect him to play at "Beast" level day in and day out and you can relax a little and realize he's still one of the top 2nd line C's in the game.

#15 fwybwed

fwybwed

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:36 PM

I can understand how people can not let go of Kesler, like I dont wanna see Luo leave. BUT face it Kes' is so prone to injury that at the start of season he wont be there. He will still be recovering. This will be the 2nd year now that he has had surgery. I saw on RSNet that he may be ready for the start but to me this says that he is going rush recovery and come back as to not look incapable of starting a season.... he should recover fully then come back and regain my faith in him a top forward (edit-Centre) in this league...As of right now...he is just an injury prone player trying not to show his colors to the league or the canucks.

Edited by fwybwed, 23 July 2012 - 11:39 PM.

#16 Rey

Rey

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,432 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:43 PM

When Kesler was re-signed. We were not suppose to expect 73-75 points out of the second line center. He completely overachieved but it's because he was playing on the first power play unit with the Twins. They helped each other get better, and Twins and Kesler both hit insane numbers. He developed a shot, a year ago which really helped him with 40 goals, but it has then vanished. Perhaps, we have lost it. Maybe not? Who knows but when the Canucks re-signed Kesler. Realistically, the expectations for him was to be a 50 points guy, who can shut down the best players. I don't think that has or should change.

The problem is that, people also thought that he would make his teammates better. Last year, all he did was take Raymond-like shots. It's time for him to play his old game again, and know the role of being a sniper when he plays with the Twins, and be more of a play making center when he is centering the second line. Teams paying your wingers quite a bit of money so that, the team can have secondary scoring. It's up to Kesler to get them going, because up until last year. He was our MVP because he did everything and pushed everyone to be better. That's what we need to see.

Edited by Rey, 23 July 2012 - 11:49 PM.

#17 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:43 PM

Who is the Superstar in return? Lupul? Please......... I think you be sippin'

to the O.P. No.....his best days aren't behind him. Don't expect him to play at "Beast" level day in and day out and you can relax a little and realize he's still one of the top 2nd line C's in the game.

Tha hell are you on about??

Did I say he was worth a superstar in return?? Did I say that Lupul was a superstar??

Learn to read and take the time to comprehend.

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#18 canucks.bradley

canucks.bradley

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,384 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:46 PM

yes, i think his best days are behind him. i would love to be proven wrong but thats my opinion.
i do not think he will get close to 40 goals again. 25-30 would be my prediction. i think his injuries affect his play way too much and i dont think he will fully recover. added on that people have figured out the way he plays, I just dont see him being the 40 goal scorer we saw two years ago.

is he a selfish, shoot first guy? who knows..we shall see this year.

ps. i really dont think he should come back for the season opener. if he is rushing himself yet again...i hope he stays away till he is 110%
Posted Image
3000th post - September, 2010

K guys I nd hlp fast. Im @ a girls I rly like & txtng from my iphone. I did a #2 in the bathroom and it plugged, water is almost overflowing toilet. Srsly I dunno wut 2 do somebody help!

Watch Bowness somehow mess up Tampa Bay's already amazing 2 powerplay units...he'll probably tell Stamkos to do drop passes from centre ice, take him out from the faceoff dot, and place him infront of the goalie :lol:

#19 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,616 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:51 PM

You can't fix stupid.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#20 Wilbur

Wilbur

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:52 PM

2 years ago was a career year. I doubt he'll reach those highs again. But by no means is he done as being one of the premier 2nd line centres in this league.

Yeah, he gets injured a lot. But he also will win games single handedly a lot. I'll take the good with the bad.

Edit: Also, isn't it "Say aye"?

Edited by Wilbur, 23 July 2012 - 11:54 PM.

#21 micgao

micgao

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,595 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:55 PM

I'm going to sleep now, glad I ended my day by reading something smart and gives me a bit of hope back in CDC.

/nonsarcasticcomment
Posted Image

#22 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:55 PM

If he stays healthy, absolutely not. He's not some old geezer and when he's healthy and in shape he's still one of our best players. He's had a few injuries but if he takes his time to get back to full health he should be fine. Also he hasn't had a huge number of injuries, just a few big ones that needed surgery which took a while to recover from. Like I said he should take his time to et in shape.

Edited by etsen3, 23 July 2012 - 11:57 PM.

#23 Guest_BuckFoston_*

Guest_BuckFoston_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:02 AM

This guy has had more injuries in the last year than I care to imagine.

Sounds like he was wearing a body cast all year. Can you be any more dramatic?

#24 RonnieColeman

RonnieColeman

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:03 AM

I'm not worried about if he hits 40 goals ever again, or even worried about him getting 70+ pts, my expectations are not for him to be that guy he was 2 seasons ago. HOWEVER, my worries lie in him not making his wingers any better, not being an efficient playmaker, and potentially dragging down the second line, which I feel he may have done last year. I recall a lot of wrist shots and "do it myself" type of plays last year from him, and while players like booth and Raymond get somewhat of a pass for also doing that cause they're wingers, a center needs to be able to create a play. Burrows and Danny would not be putting up the goals and numbers they do without the playmaking of henrik (even evident when Danny was injured). I'd much rather have a line with two wingers with tons of goals and a center with tons of assists, instead of a center with tons of goals and two wingers with minimal points or "off" years. Major Point production and goals are not my worry for kesler, it's staying healthy and being able to make his second line wingers better and Playmake. As far as I see it, booth, or really most players on our second line, aren't going to excel if kesler keeps doing it himself and taking wristers.

#25 RonnieColeman

RonnieColeman

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:03 AM

Double post

Edited by RonnieColeman, 24 July 2012 - 12:05 AM.

#26 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,873 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:08 AM

He was a solid 1st line center in his prime 41 goal, 70 point season but last year he reverted back to an average 2nd line center with a 20 goal, 50 point season.

Hopefully he can get to a 20-goal, 60 point season and become more of an assist man to get Booth back up to the 30-goal mark. Either way, our 2nd line should be able to score 70 goals, whoever it comes from. I would like to see 20 from Kesler, 20 from Higgins and 30 from Booth as opposed to 40 from Kesler and 15 from the other 2.
Posted Image

#27 Karan01

Karan01

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:09 AM

Lets be honest guys, Kesler is NOT good for the center role, and can not stay healthy. Hes a good player, but has the shooting mentality, so the canucks would benefit more for him to be a winger

#28 nucks all the way

nucks all the way

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:11 AM

THOSE are your legit superstars?! Wow. Lupul is good but only when Kessel is in good form, too. Besides, more injuries than you can imagine? He's had two in the past two years. One labrum and one shoulder.

#29 Phil_314

Phil_314

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:12 AM

OP,
P
u
h
l
e
a
z
!

Sure, he may have flopped around too much in the playoffs but when he's focused (AND HEALTHY) he can still rediscover the beast form which he found in his 75-point season with the playoffs where he carried us on his back. Of course, if he had a passing winger that would really help the line function better as a unit, but then again having a take-charge center like him is no problem.

Even during his injured season he managed to put up 50 points? That's not bad for a second line center. What do you want from the guy.

We've just gotten spoiled having our second line center be a 40 goal scorer.

Even if he's just a 30 goal scoring, 60-70 point guy, it still puts him up there with the best second line centers in the game.

/\
|||
Exactly!

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Jesus LOVES YOU!
2012, meet Matthew 24:36-47!

14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

#30 KeslersPlayoffBeard

KeslersPlayoffBeard

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:29 AM

He came off an injury and was rushed into the lineup, it was a given he wasn't going to perform the same. Give the guy a break...
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.