The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who Thinks Kesler's Best Days Are Behind Him? Say I!

Pasific Coluseum

I think there are a couple areas of concern regarding Kesler. Firstly, in terms of overall health, his best days may be behind him. There is never any way to know for sure, but with the way he plays injury will always be a risk. He will certainly have many opportunities to play with the same zeal as before, but perhaps he won't be able to do it consistently over an entire year ever again . Being able to maintain that level of abuse on your body for the whole season/playoffs cannot be easy, and once you have a couple pre-existing injury problems the body may not be able to handle it for more than a few months at a time.

Secondly, much of his offensive success came from playing behind the Sedin line. If the Sedins are done in Vancouver after the next two seasons (no one knows for sure if they will re-sign, decline, etc), that gives Kesler only two chances to have such a great year again, before having the entire opposing team's focus on him rather than the twins. One of those seasons Kesler is going to start out with injury, so really he would only have one chance to repeat or improve upon his Selke performance. I do think Kesler is a top line calibre player, but it is easier to be a top liner playing behind the twins than a top liner on your own (see Rick Nash).

In terms of talent/skill, he is young and will continue to improve. He has not peaked, but his situation may have peaked. It is hard to imagine Kesler having a better first line to take pressure off of him, and its hard to imagine Kesler being as resistant to injury as he was before (he was a literal tank for a couple years there). Realistically though, this is true of any player that would have been in his situation, so doesn't really say much.

This guy has had more injuries in the last year than I care to imagine. His point production has sharply dropped off. Its like he can't catch a break. I will absolutely amazed if he reached 30 goals this season.

Anyone else think he might drop down to 3rd line next year if we get a legit 2nd line center? I hope he bounces back but this being out till October thing has me freaked out. I also wouldn't object to trading him right now if we could bring in a legit superstar or even a Lupul & Colburne for Kesler & Schroeder

When Kesler was at the peak of his career season, he was considered one of the 30 best players in the league.

He may not reach that status again. But that doesn't mean he won't still be the best 2nd-line center in the league not named "Malkin".

The negativity around here is incredible. Last year was an anomaly, folks. The Nucks' play was lathargic all year. The SCF hangover is not a myth. Especially after that brutal run (see Boston Bruins). And they still win the Pres Trophy.

I don't know if Ryan will have another 40g season, but I do think he will reach 35. His defensive play and leadership are huge as well. Unfortunately he plays the kind of game that causes injuries. The injuries may catch up with him by the time his contract is up and then he will be signed as a 3rd liner. 5Yrs from now I'm pretty certain we will have a young centerman that can slip into the 2ndC role.

The negativity around here is incredible. Last year was an anomaly, folks. The Nucks' play was lathargic all year. The SCF hangover is not a myth. Especially after that brutal run (see Boston Bruins). And they still win the Pres Trophy.

I don't know if Ryan will have another 40g season, but I do think he will reach 35. His defensive play and leadership are huge as well. Unfortunately he plays the kind of game that causes injuries. The injuries may catch up with him by the time his contract is up and then he will be signed as a 3rd liner. 5Yrs from now I'm pretty certain we will have a young centerman that can slip into the 2ndC role.

I !

The way Kesler plays "all-out" has brought on serious wear and tear. Although, I thought the same of Mike Richards and he did just fine in a supporting role last year.

I would like to see him tone it down a bit (at least in the regular season) and bring a better attitude to the game. I'm tired of yelling KESLER DOWN at games.

Just play hockey! Don't get involved in the between whistle garbage. Don't try to draw a penalty in every scrum. Try to be a leader...

I just want AV to stop using him on the PK especially durinhg the first half of the regular season. There is no point, he just picks up bumps and bruises for games that don;t really matter. stick him there once and a while, or if the pk needs a boost, but not every game. Kesler needs to be his healthiest come playoff time

Oh I shake my head.

People will stand behind Raymond and say its because of his injury that his production tailed off and he can be an excellent 2nd line option. And then people say Kesler could go to being the 3rd line center or traded because of his injury(ies).

Sometimes I lose hope in CDC.

Oh I shake my head.

People will stand behind Raymond and say its because of his injury that his production tailed off and he can be an excellent 2nd line option. And then people say Kesler could go to being the 3rd line center or traded because of his injury(ies).

Sometimes I lose hope in CDC.

2011 was the anomaly. this team is not blessed with a young talented core that is only going to get better and better with time (hello chicago, boston and LA). we had our shot to win it all and blew it big time. this group is not going to make it back to the scf and is definately not going to win a cup. the long suffering fans of this team will be waiting another 20 years before this franchise gets another chance to play for the cup.

2011 was the anomaly. this team is not blessed with a young talented core that is only going to get better and better with time (hello chicago, boston and LA). we had our shot to win it all and blew it big time. this group is not going to make it back to the scf and is definately not going to win a cup. the long suffering fans of this team will be waiting another 20 years before this franchise gets another chance to play for the cup.

This guy has had more injuries in the last year than I care to imagine. His point production has sharply dropped off. Its like he can't catch a break. I will absolutely amazed if he reached 30 goals this season.

Anyone else think he might drop down to 3rd line next year if we get a legit 2nd line center? I hope he bounces back but this being out till October thing has me freaked out. I also wouldn't object to trading him right now if we could bring in a legit superstar or even a Lupul & Colburne for Kesler & Schroeder

I think he could be a good 3rd line shutdown center (Bolland) from now on. It's ridiculous how much Canucks fans overrate him. His defense wasn't great last season, and people think he is still one of the best defensive players in the nhl, because he won a Selke 2 seasons ago. He only had 49 points last season, and he was very inconsistent. I doubt he will ever get 60 points again, but he could be a great 3rd line center.

Archived