The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who Thinks Kesler's Best Days Are Behind Him? Say I!

Pasific Coluseum

Without a healthy Kes the Nucks are pretenders.

He has had two serious injuries and operations now.

Let us hope and pray he has healed appropriately as he has fully demonstrated he can carry the team on his back and lead this team and his mates to the promised land on ice.

Kesler was injured. When he recovers, he will be better than ever.

As far as Lupal, have you checked out his injury history? At least check out the players that you would have coming to Vancouver before making a dumb comment like that.

I would like to see another player assuming the assignment of parking himself in front of the net on the PP. Kesler is getting hammered out there and is too valuable a player to lose to injury.

'Beast mode' shouldn't have to be even thought of until about the trade deadline, when the team is gearing up for a cup run. Kesler at 30 goals/70 points, is solid. Let's just see if they can keep him off the main team until he's 100% this season, (if there IS a season)

So no, I do not believe his best days are behind him.

Huh must be a slow news day. Haters gonna hate :)

I will concede the point that I think Kesler needs an attitude adjustment (less whining, less diving) and more gritty hard nosed play. The differential in those two play styles could be attributed to his injury status at the time, as he felt the need to compensate.

A 100% healthy Kesler is a 70-80 point producing two-way elite Selke centerman. This is a classic case of not knowing what you have until it's gone.

What he needs is an established 2nd line winger. Not wanna be or has been like Raymond, Higgins (good for 3rd line), Booth and Samuelsson

He needs a guy like Cole, Langenbrunner (when with NJ), Morrow, Doan, Smyth (2-3 years ago), etc. Which is really hard to get.

What are you, OP? A Bruin's fan? Good Lord!

As almost everyone has stated in this thread, Kesler will be fine. He plays hard, so, he is going to get hurt. Last year, he put up 49 points in 77 games. Not too shabby for a second line centre. He came back early and tried to do too much too soon and his play suffered. Let him heal properly with his shoulder injury and don't rush him back and he'll be fine.

Finally, you don't trade a Selke-winning centre for a bucket of frozen pucks and a case of tape. Lupul and Colbourne... Gimme a freakin' break!

:towel::canucks:

Well, MG said he's going to be ready for the start of the year so ... this year is gone, he'll be injured again all year. Also, as mentioned he is not good at distrubuting the puck, if the second line doesn't find someone to elevate and make it gel that will also be a reason he has a bad year. Will he ever get back to 40 goals. Unlikely., That was a career year right there in which we were one win away from a perfect year. Everyone played unreal in our 40th season and I don't see that happening again for maybe another 60 years.

As mentioned by others though, even if he doesn't reach the totals he did the other year he still has many years of good hockey left. If only AV and MG had the balls to tell him to be fully healthy when he plays. Oh well.

Well, MG said he's going to be ready for the start of the year so ... this year is gone, he'll be injured again all year. Also, as mentioned he is not good at distrubuting the puck, if the second line doesn't find someone to elevate and make it gel that will also be a reason he has a bad year. Will he ever get back to 40 goals. Unlikely., That was a career year right there in which we were one win away from a perfect year. Everyone played unreal in our 40th season and I don't see that happening again for maybe another 60 years.

Guys... a legit second line centre is usually not expected to score 40 goals.... unless he plays PP with the Sedins.

Kesler had an unbelievable season that year, culminating in a Selke. Even if he doesn't replicate that season, Kesler at his best is worth giving 18 minutes a game. Intangibles. It's not all about goals and points - especially if you want to be a "legit second line centre."

Wow, some people... Lets just put it this way, if a player is considered to have a "bad" year and they put up 49 points that year, then holy hell, he is good. HE HAD AN OFF YEAR! Which means ONE! This happens again next year, and his numbers are even worse, then yes, you might have an arguement.

This guy has had more injuries in the last year than I care to imagine. His point production has sharply dropped off. Its like he can't catch a break. I will absolutely amazed if he reached 30 goals this season.

Anyone else think he might drop down to 3rd line next year if we get a legit 2nd line center? I hope he bounces back but this being out till October thing has me freaked out. I also wouldn't object to trading him right now if we could bring in a legit superstar or even a Lupul & Colburne for Kesler & Schroeder

Kess will be 28 in August. His best games are still in front of him and he is still capable of being a Selkie winner when he's healthy. Maturity will include working with his line and avoiding injury. I expect a banner season from him (if we have one in 2012-13)

It's funny how people jump on the OP for his comments. But yes, his best days might be behind him. Any player that has a serious injury can have that happen.

Not all players bounce back and fully recover. Lets face it, A hip and shoulder injury are pretty serious injuries to have for a hockey player. I don't think his best days are behind him, but it could easily be possible.

Archived