The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who Thinks Kesler's Best Days Are Behind Him? Say I!

Pasific Coluseum

I. He will play better than the aweful, brutal, horrific, terrifying, depressing play that was last season. He was a 3rd liner. He can't drop any lower. But he will never duplicate that amazing season he had 2 years ago. Should have traded him for J.Staal while we had the chance. Flame me all you want.

I want to be wrong.

If he continues to have major injuries, at this rate he might.

Otherwise, I think he's just about to hit his peak.

I reckon he'll surpass his career bests for one year, equal them in another 1 or 2 seasons,

and come close around 70pts for a couple more.

and that's perfectly fine IMO.

I only want him back when he is 100% healed no matter what and even then sent to Chicago for a conditioning stint. Then he can ease his way back into the lineup

I will start judging his performance from Feb 2013 on. This is when it counts.

Kesler is a 20 to 30 goal scorer who had 1 season out of that range and now people expect him to repeat that year after year. It was a one hit wonder. I just hope he goes back to passing and gets his 25 goals working as a puck distributing centre.

this is the nut of the issue. kesler contributes 2nd line production, no doubt, but he also actually makes his linemates worse. when almost every possession for his line ends in an embarrassing attempt at a toe drag and a wrist shot from the top of the faceoff circles which is either deflected easily out of play by a defenseman or shot directly into the goalie's crest, you're never going to have a consistently productive second line.

it worked when samuelsson was here because he controlled possession on that line more than kesler did.

i should add that in addition to being a selfish player or feeling like he has to do everything himself, this also happens due to kesler's lack of on-ice vision and puck smarts. the guy has the talent (not naturally, but worked at valiantly) to be a decent second line power winger who can do other things well, or the best third-line centre in the league. i really don't see him as a bonafide second-line centre, despite his production.

Wow, if you don't think Kesler is a bonafide 2nd line center, then you really don't watch enough hockey. The only control Samuelsson had over the puck was to shoot it from every single angle. Even so, he still didn't match Kesler's forty goals.

Archived