The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Predators Match Offer Sheet To Captain Shea Weber

OMG can't believe some of you think Shea made an error...

He is getting 110 Mil, even after tax he will be a very wealthy man and done work no later than age 40...

congrats Shea, job well done!

Hats off to the Preds as well, I now am a believer in you as a real member of hockey! May you grow the sport in Tennessee and become successful!!

And Kudos to MG for recognizing the situation and not making an a$$ of our organization!

The Preds are almost certainly going to be a weaker team this year than last. Philly has a strong team and would have been that much better with Weber, but I'm not sure that would be enough to "scare" me as long as their goaltending is substandard.

Kevin Epp, Weber's agent is on Prime Time right now. He says he will ask the Preds to add a NTC , NMC to Weber's contract. There are conflicting reports on if this provision can be added, Friedman says there might be something on page 36 of CBA that allows NTC, NMC to be added.

If it is doable both Weber and the Preds would have to agree to this. If I am the Preds I do NOT agree to add this provision to Weber's contract.

Kevin Epp, Weber's agent is on Prime Time right now. He says he will ask the Preds to add a NTC , NMC to Weber's contract. There are conflicting reports on if this provision can be added, Friedman says there might be something on page 36 of CBA that allows NTC, NMC to be added.

If it is doable both Weber and the Preds would have to agree to this. If I am the Preds I do NOT agree to add this provision to Weber's contract.

It just shows the greed of players to me.

They want these ridiculous 15 year contracts knowing that there's no way they'll be worth the amount they're being paid for the majority of the contract. Instead of being paid what they're worth.

In the new CBA 5-7 contract max may actually be a good thing.

Lol no way they add a NTC NMC. Weber basically went and negotiated a way overpriced contract without the side that has to pay it. Now wants them to throw in a NTC? Good luck with that..

I don't blame him for signing the contract, but get real lol

My prediction.. Nashville lets these other young stud dmen develop and then trades weber down the road for all the upfront scoring power they want.

Really? Greed of players?

Weber is being paid what he is worth under the current CBA.

The canucks and a few other high revenue teams would've paid it too because they think he is worth the money in their quest to win a cup.

Max 5-7 year contracts would be great for low revenue teams. All the stars would be equally distributed among the teams because the top players would want max length and max salary. It would level the competitive playing field for the league. Parity would be the rule.

I'd prefer a CBA that allows the canucks to use our considerable resources (from high ticket prices, sold out games, jersey sales, etc.) to sign long term, front loaded contracts for top players.

I really don't care what shea weber, christian bale, sid crosby, justin bieber, peyton manning, kobe bryant make.

Just win us a cup!

The irony here is that Kobe Bryant has been underpaid his entire career relative to the lesser lights in the league. The problem with the NBA lately has been the ridiculous contracts dished out to the middling players whereas superstars like Kobe and LeBron are capped at $20 million per year.

I agree with your entire post. Players get whatever the market will bear. No one's paying to go and see Nick Spaling in NSH. Weber gets them gate money, and he enriches that gate because NSH get more playoff revenue with him in the line-up.

Expected.

PHI was stupid and tried to force NSH hand. Weber got want he wanted = $$$. NSH has it's captain and #1D (Norris trophy candidate every year) for the next 10-14 yrs. NSH just needs to upgrade the forward scoring depth. They will be scary if they ever get some legit snipers there.

Archived