236 replies to this topic

#121 Ron Swansons Moustache

Ron Swansons Moustache

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:33 PM

Oh to be a fly on the wall at the next CBA meeting.

A lot of angry GM's and owners.
http://Posted Image

#122 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:34 PM

Was expecting Preds to sign, and then trade.....wonder if that latter part will happen now?

Not until July 25th, 2013 at the earliest.

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#123 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,380 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:35 PM

I wanted him out of the West. Yes I did. However, it's nice seeing the little guys, (small market team) win this round. I kinda feel sorry For Shea. It feels like he doesn't want to play for Nashville anymore. But good for Nashville for matching.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#124 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 69,913 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:41 PM

@andystrickland
This is the reason why Vancouver chose not to sign Shea Weber to an offer sheet as the #Preds made it very clear they would match #Canucks

307mg00.jpg

#125 CHIPS

CHIPS

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,787 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:43 PM

I hope this doesn't eventually turn into Rozsival part 2. Weber is too good for that to happen to him.

CanucksvsBruinsPollsmall-1.jpgRogerNeilsonSmall.jpgSig too big. 

#126 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:45 PM

I wanted him out of the West. Yes I did. However, it's nice seeing the little guys, (small market team) win this round. I kinda feel sorry For Shea. It feels like he doesn't want to play for Nashville anymore. But good for Nashville for matching.

Yeah poor Shea.

Edited by Canuck-a-nuck, 24 July 2012 - 01:45 PM.

Posted Image

#127 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:46 PM

Did you even read my post? I specifically said I did not think the Predators had the financial capacity to match the offer; I said nothing regarding whether it was good or bad for the team to not match the offer. Actually, the latter part of post implies that I think it would have been a poor decision for the franchise to not match. Nashville is still in a really bad situation: they have to pay Weber $26 million in the first 11 months of his contract-- or almost 25% of his total 14-year deal-- and after that, he could then easily request a trade.

Srry dude. I didnt mean to offend but I still stand behind the fact the Preds had to match. Its not an ideal situation but the alternative was far worse. Any team wanting Weber with 29 mil stripped out of it will have to pay more than 4 low first rounders.

So while the Preds lose money, they gain assets in my opinion. Weber will be worth even more Next July 25th.
Posted Image

#128 OrrFour

OrrFour

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:52 PM

I feel bad for Weber too, he obviously wanted out, now he's stuck for atleast another year if not more. He can always demand a trade but who would take that contract?

I can think of a team in the northwest conference that would take that contract.

#129 Creid

Creid

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:53 PM

Unbelievable!! Just rebuild already, they could have just shopped the 4 first round picks for better players, or kept them and pulled a Pittsburg or Edmonton and build through the draft.

I feel bad for Weber too, he obviously wanted out, now he's stuck for atleast another year if not more. He can always demand a trade but who would take that contract?

Rebuild? why they were 4th in the west last year and just came of their most successful playoff run. So what if Suter left. They just need to find some offence.

#130 OrrFour

OrrFour

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:54 PM

Expected, but you've gotta feel for Weber, being stuck in Nashville until the end of time.

He's not.
Players ask for trades all the time.

#131 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,181 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:56 PM

Good!

Now everyone can stop breaking Gillis' balls over this. Because if we made the offer sheet, the Preds definitely were going to match it.
Posted Image

#132 Neufy161

Neufy161

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:00 PM

Unbelievable!! Just rebuild already, they could have just shopped the 4 first round picks for better players, or kept them and pulled a Pittsburg or Edmonton and build through the draft.

I'm sure Philly would...

Oh hello Alain Vigneault, I see what you did there... good one.

Posted Image

Signature by (>'-')>

#133 Mclean1

Mclean1

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:01 PM

hahahaha, I love it he came out saying how he wanted to play in Philly it was pretty obvious Nashville was not going to let him go no matter what.The Flyers are the only team in the league with balls in my opinion.More teams need to make offer sheets or else the league needs to get rid of it all together.

#134 .Naslund

.Naslund

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:03 PM

Stupid **** Holmgren, but yeah Shea obviously wanted to collect the massive paycheck before the CBA ran out probably.

Hopefully he doesn't turn into the Dwight Howard of the NHL now though, and start demanding trades all over the place.
Posted Image

#135 jmfaminoff

jmfaminoff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,811 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:05 PM

Shea gambled and appears to have lost. Because everything is open to negotiation during the CBA renegotiation, his only hope is that the new CBA can roll back the length of a contract allowed.

#136 Garrison

Garrison

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:06 PM

Although Weber can be traded next summer, I believe he won't be traded for at least 4 to 5 seasons. He is Nashville's Captain and they wanted to set an example that they can keep players and they are not just a farm team for defense men to get rich after leaving. But I do think Weber will want to be traded eventually and the GM will not get fair value such as the Nash trade and the eventual Luongo deal.

#137 Neufy161

Neufy161

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:06 PM

This is so annoying, and the reason why Holmgren is just awful... everyone is saying "Holmgren is bold, a GM with balls"
Whereas he's just stupid.

Shea accepted the offer sheet because with the new CBA, these 14 year deals may not exist anymore... trying to build some stability for himself and his family; Not because he wanted out of Nashville. If he wanted out of NSH, he wouldn't have signed anything longer then a 1 year deal and became a UFA next season.

From Gillis' POV you want to let the contract run dry... UFA next season. If you offer him a 1 year, you risk loosing 4 first round draft picks for a rental player. if you offer long term, Nash matchs and you loose the prospect all together (Which is exactly what happened)

Then this moron comes in and offers him 14 years. Shea wanting stability obviously signs, Preds obviously match, and Shea is off market for the rest of his career... short sighted bafoon.

Edited by Neufy161, 24 July 2012 - 02:18 PM.

Oh hello Alain Vigneault, I see what you did there... good one.

Posted Image

Signature by (>'-')>

#138 paintingtheblack

paintingtheblack

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:07 PM

I’m definitely not surprised that the Predators chose to do this. However, I wonder how this is going to affect the long term future of the franchise. That’s a lot of money tied to one guy for a team that doesn’t make much money. It should be interesting to see how they are able to build their team in the next couple of years because they still need more scoring.

http://chrisross91.w...4/for-the-fans/

#139 swflyers28

swflyers28

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:10 PM

Frack, I thought for sure they wouldn't match.
Posted Image

#140 Onions

Onions

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:12 PM

I think money or no money, Nashville needed to match this. A Weber doesn't come around the corner everyday.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#141 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,905 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:13 PM

Frack, I thought for sure they wouldn't match.

You already have Weber in Flyers colours haha :lol:

#142 Ray Canuck

Ray Canuck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:15 PM

OMG can't believe some of you think Shea made an error...
He is getting 110 Mil, even after tax he will be a very wealthy man and done work no later than age 40...

congrats Shea, job well done!

Hats off to the Preds as well, I now am a believer in you as a real member of hockey! May you grow the sport in Tennessee and become successful!!
And Kudos to MG for recognizing the situation and not making an a$$ of our organization!

Edited by Ray Canuck, 24 July 2012 - 02:18 PM.

Posted Image
"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
Mark Twain

#143 kloubek

kloubek

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,504 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:19 PM

The Preds are almost certainly going to be a weaker team this year than last. Philly has a strong team and would have been that much better with Weber, but I'm not sure that would be enough to "scare" me as long as their goaltending is substandard.
Biggest Canucks Fan this Side of the Rockies.

#144 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,905 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:20 PM

Now that Weber is locked up for his entire career, we will never see him in a Canuck jersey unless he demands a trade here..

There will be no Hamhuis - Weber tandem

Posted Image

#145 Stanley to Vancouver

Stanley to Vancouver

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:27 PM

He will be traded. Just watch once/if this seaspn starts and ends he will ask for a trade. But good on nashville for sticking up for what they belive in.

#146 Sedintron

Sedintron

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:38 PM

I have to admit, I honestly thought Weber would end up in Philly but I guess not

Edited by Sedintron, 24 July 2012 - 02:39 PM.

Posted Image

#147 vancanfan

vancanfan

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,516 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:39 PM

Good job Predators, stick that in your pipe and smoke it Holmgren you dumba$$!

You may have saddled them with a huge contract but he can still be traded next year, and they retain a great player.

#148 Blömqvist

Blömqvist

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,400 posts

Now that Weber is locked up for his entire career, we will never see him in a Canuck jersey unless he demands a trade here..

There will be no Hamhuis - Weber tandem

Posted Image

I'm sure he'll demand a trade sooner or later, heck maybe even a year from now. It would have to be a serious overpayment. Nashville will then have committed too much money on him during the first year of his contract.

medium.png nashville predators | ps4 

#149 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Kevin Epp, Weber's agent is on Prime Time right now. He says he will ask the Preds to add a NTC , NMC to Weber's contract. There are conflicting reports on if this provision can be added, Friedman says there might be something on page 36 of CBA that allows NTC, NMC to be added.

If it is doable both Weber and the Preds would have to agree to this. If I am the Preds I do NOT agree to add this provision to Weber's contract.

#150 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:41 PM

He will be traded. Just watch once/if this seaspn starts and ends he will ask for a trade. But good on nashville for sticking up for what they belive in.

He can ask for a trade all he wants. Preds don't have to do what Weber wants. After paying $27 million for 1 year worth of service no way the Preds trade him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.