The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Predators Match Offer Sheet To Captain Shea Weber

YES!

This is great news.

And for people feeling sad for Weber saying "he wanted to leave", if he really wanted out that bad, he would not have signed a 14 year deal while it was still very likely Nashville would match the offer.

Because the NHL is asking to extend the time before a player becomes UFA to 10 years in the new CBA. Even if they don't get 10 years it's fair to assume they will get a year or two added on.

So therefore Weber would not be UFA next year and miss out on signing this type of contract which will also be banned in the next CBA.

From MG's statements to me it's clear Weber wanted long term financial security over everything else. I don't blame him I'd do the same thing.

Unbelievable!! Just rebuild already, they could have just shopped the 4 first round picks for better players, or kept them and pulled a Pittsburg or Edmonton and build through the draft.

I feel bad for Weber too, he obviously wanted out, now he's stuck for atleast another year if not more. He can always demand a trade but who would take that contract?

Ya. And with 29mil already stripped out, the value becomes even higher. I suspect it would take a signed Edler, 3 first rounders and another prospect ,but then Giilis would have simply offered Weber the Philly deal.

• i honestly think Weber cared more about cashing in before CBA renews rather than wanting to play for contender... he signed that hoping nashville wouldnt match but the main point is, he signed a 14 year deal that gutranatees him money over anything else

Archived