The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Predators Match Offer Sheet To Captain Shea Weber

I wanted him out of the West. Yes I did. However, it's nice seeing the little guys, (small market team) win this round. I kinda feel sorry For Shea. It feels like he doesn't want to play for Nashville anymore. But good for Nashville for matching.

Did you even read my post? I specifically said I did not think the Predators had the financial capacity to match the offer; I said nothing regarding whether it was good or bad for the team to not match the offer. Actually, the latter part of post implies that I think it would have been a poor decision for the franchise to not match. Nashville is still in a really bad situation: they have to pay Weber $26 million in the first 11 months of his contract-- or almost 25% of his total 14-year deal-- and after that, he could then easily request a trade.

Unbelievable!! Just rebuild already, they could have just shopped the 4 first round picks for better players, or kept them and pulled a Pittsburg or Edmonton and build through the draft.

I feel bad for Weber too, he obviously wanted out, now he's stuck for atleast another year if not more. He can always demand a trade but who would take that contract?

Unbelievable!! Just rebuild already, they could have just shopped the 4 first round picks for better players, or kept them and pulled a Pittsburg or Edmonton and build through the draft.

I feel bad for Weber too, he obviously wanted out, now he's stuck for atleast another year if not more. He can always demand a trade but who would take that contract?

hahahaha, I love it he came out saying how he wanted to play in Philly it was pretty obvious Nashville was not going to let him go no matter what.The Flyers are the only team in the league with balls in my opinion.More teams need to make offer sheets or else the league needs to get rid of it all together.

Stupid **** Holmgren, but yeah Shea obviously wanted to collect the massive paycheck before the CBA ran out probably.

Hopefully he doesn't turn into the Dwight Howard of the NHL now though, and start demanding trades all over the place.

Although Weber can be traded next summer, I believe he won't be traded for at least 4 to 5 seasons. He is Nashville's Captain and they wanted to set an example that they can keep players and they are not just a farm team for defense men to get rich after leaving. But I do think Weber will want to be traded eventually and the GM will not get fair value such as the Nash trade and the eventual Luongo deal.

This is so annoying, and the reason why Holmgren is just awful... everyone is saying "Holmgren is bold, a GM with balls"

Whereas he's just stupid.

Shea accepted the offer sheet because with the new CBA, these 14 year deals may not exist anymore... trying to build some stability for himself and his family; Not because he wanted out of Nashville. If he wanted out of NSH, he wouldn't have signed anything longer then a 1 year deal and became a UFA next season.

From Gillis' POV you want to let the contract run dry... UFA next season. If you offer him a 1 year, you risk loosing 4 first round draft picks for a rental player. if you offer long term, Nash matchs and you loose the prospect all together (Which is exactly what happened)

Then this moron comes in and offers him 14 years. Shea wanting stability obviously signs, Preds obviously match, and Shea is off market for the rest of his career... short sighted bafoon.

I’m definitely not surprised that the Predators chose to do this. However, I wonder how this is going to affect the long term future of the franchise. That’s a lot of money tied to one guy for a team that doesn’t make much money. It should be interesting to see how they are able to build their team in the next couple of years because they still need more scoring.

http://chrisross91.wordpress.com/2012/07/24/for-the-fans/

Archived