The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

if the canucks do sign doan, this is my biggest worry...and it isnt probably what you think

billabong

if the canucks do sign doan (which would be great...if its no more then two years) my biggest worry is would his heart still be with the phx/wpg organization. i know he would play hard and be an effective player but would that little extra push be left in phx. when sundin was here all i kept hearing was "sure, he is canucks but his heart is still in toronto", there is no shame in that because of all the blood, sweat and tears these two guys put into both of their teams.

virtually what im asking is "would the exact same player we saw in phx, be the one we would have in the canucks line up?"

i have my doubts just because of how loyal he is to phx organization but i also know how much of straight up guy he is through and through

so i dont know, only time tell if he does indeed leave his home sweet home..

I'm sure Joe Sakic wasn't worried that Ray Bourque's heart was still in Boston.

Of course his heart will always be in Phoenix, but if he helped lead us to the Cup, he'd be the happiest guy in the world and I wouldn't be shocked to see Doan be the first guy that Hank passed the Cup to after it was presented by Count Bettman.

Aaaahhhh...I can see it now.

The issue with Sundin wasn't that his heart wasn't in it, it was that he missed training camp and joined halfway through the year, and was a step behind everyone else on the ice as a result. Especially considering Sundin's age, it was difficult for him to get back up to speed after being away from the game for so many months. I don't foresee the same situation happening with Doan, so that shouldn't be a problem.

My biggest issue would be that we would become too 1-dimensional. That would give us essentially 7 powerforwards in our top-9 and 2 skilled players (the Sedins). When you look at cup winners like Chicago, Pittsburgh, Detroit and Boston, they've had an even balance of powerforwards and skilled, talented guys in their top-6 and even top-9. We would have this:

Sedin - Sedin - Doan

Booth - Kesler - Higgins

Burrows - Lapierre - Hansen

Raymond - Malhotra - Kassian

That's actually 3 purely "skill" guys compared to 9 powerforwards who aren't quite at that same skill level. Sure, guys like Kesler and Burrows have skill, but nowhere near the level of offensive creativity or vision as guys like the Sedins, Kopitar, Krejci, Kane, Hossa, Toews, Justin Williams etc. Sure having the Sedins is nice but they're all on 1 line, the rest of our top-9 is full of powerforwards that can easily be defended against.

I'd rather have a skilled guy like Semin on our team than Doan right now, purely because we already have enough powerforward-types and not enough purely skilled guys. Semin would add a lot of balance to our top-9 and make us much harder to defend.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Kesler - Semin

Higgins - Lapierre - Hansen

Suddenly, each of our lines has at least 1 good powerforward and a purely skilled guy except for the 3rd line which will be our checking line.

My biggest issue would be that we would become too 1-dimensional. That would give us essentially 7 powerforwards in our top-9 and 2 skilled players (the Sedins). When you look at cup winners like Chicago, Pittsburgh, Detroit and Boston, they've had an even balance of powerforwards and skilled, talented guys in their top-6 and even top-9. We would have this:

Sedin - Sedin - Doan

Booth - Kesler - Higgins

That's actually 3 purely "skill" guys compared to 9 powerforwards who aren't quite at that same skill level. Sure, guys like Kesler and Burrows have skill, but nowhere near the level of offensive creativity or vision as guys like the Sedins, Kopitar, Krejci, Kane, Hossa, Toews, Justin Williams etc. Sure having the Sedins is nice but they're all on 1 line, the rest of our top-9 is full of powerforwards that can easily be defended against.

I'd rather have a skilled guy like Semin on our team than Doan right now, purely because we already have enough powerforward-types and not enough purely skilled guys. Semin would add a lot of balance to our top-9 and make us much harder to defend.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Kesler - Semin

Higgins - Lapierre - Hansen

Suddenly, each of our lines has at least 1 good powerforward and a purely skilled guy except for the 3rd line which will be our checking line.

LOL there is no way Doan is signing here. Everyone just needs to accept it.

Gillis wouldn't even offer Salo a multi-year deal and he has the heart of a Canuck.

Gillis most likely is offering Doan 1 or 2 years at 6 million a piece. Some goof in the east will offer Doan a CBA bending 5+ year contract that probably averages to higher than 6 per year.

This is Doan's last big contract, he will be looking to cash in. If he wanted to win a cup he would have left Phoenix years ago. Don't forget he already has Olympic Gold and he may be content with that.

LOL there is no way Doan is signing here. Everyone just needs to accept it.

Gillis wouldn't even offer Salo a multi-year deal and he has the heart of a Canuck.

Gillis most likely is offering Doan 1 or 2 years at 6 million a piece. Some goof in the east will offer Doan a CBA bending 5+ year contract that probably averages to higher than 6 per year.

This is Doan's last big contract, he will be looking to cash in. If he wanted to win a cup he would have left Phoenix years ago. Don't forget he already has Olympic Gold and he may be content with that.

He is already setting himself up to be a crowd disappointment. For the amount we are going to be paying him, if he does sign, he won't be able to contribute to the level of our expectations. The guy is lucky to get 55 points again (thats his pace) sure he brings some other intangibles, but fans are still going to expect output when your in our top 6.

He is already setting himself up to be a crowd disappointment. For the amount we are going to be paying him, if he does sign, he won't be able to contribute to the level of our expectations. The guy is lucky to get 55 points again (thats his pace) sure he brings some other intangibles, but fans are still going to expect output when your in our top 6.

Sedin - Sedin - Doan

Booth - Kesler - Higgins

If we don't sign Doan, and it is a long shot that we do, the boards are going to freak. They are going to flood with whiny posters complaining once again how Gillis failed like hedid with Schultz and Weber, completely ignoring logic and reason, and instead whining as if Gillis has some sort of advantage over every team, and if he doesn't succeed, it is a massive failing. It isn't failure when you are chasing longshot RFAs and UFAs, that is just part of the management games. People complain about Weber not being signed, saying that money is no object, yet whine about Booth, Ballard and Luongo's contract.

The reason I bring this up is people are going to do the same thing when Doan inevitably does not sign with us. The odds of him signing here are low, and we would be extremely lucky if he did choose us. I'm not saying it's impossible, but the odds are not stacked in our favour as some people seem to believe.

Of course his heart will always be in Phoenix, but if he helped lead us to the Cup, he'd be the happiest guy in the world and I wouldn't be shocked to see Doan be the first guy that Hank passed the Cup to after it was presented by Count Bettman.

Archived