Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Proposal] Going all-in before our window closes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 Blömqvist

Blömqvist

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,411 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:44 PM

I KNOW THE VALUE MAY BE TOTALLY OFF, BUT I TRIED TO WORK AROUND CURRENT AND PAST RUMOURS/SPECULATION AS WELL AS ORGANIZATIONAL NEEDS TO PROVIDE A RATIONALE TO THE TRADES.

Trade 1
To Dallas
Keith Ballard
Mason Raymond
Jordan Schroeder
1st Round Pick 2012
1st Round Pick 2013

To Vancouver
Loui Eriksson

Trade 2
To Florida
Roberto Luongo
Chris Tanev

To Vancouver
Erik Gudbranson
Marcel Goc

Sign Shane Doan to a 3 year contract worth $17.25M

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m)
Loui Eriksson ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Shane Doan ($5.750m)
David Booth ($4.250m) / Marcel Goc ($1.700m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)
Chris Higgins ($1.900m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)
Manny Malhotra ($2.500m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)
Alexander Edler ($3.250m) / Jason Garrison ($4.600m)
Andrew Alberts ($1.225m) / Erik Gudbranson ($3.200m)
Derek Joslin ($0.700m) /

GOALTENDERS
Cory Schneider ($4.000m)
Eddie Lack ($1.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $69,845,000; BONUSES: $2,300,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $355,000

Analysis
Trade 1
Dallas has incredible depth for top-6 wingers; the Stars have Benn, Eriksson, Jagr, Whitney, Morrow, and Ryder all competing for a top-6 spot. What they lack organizationally is a second line centre and a top 4 defenseman. They do have several good prospects that could potentially fill a roster spot, but many of them are far from being NHL-ready.

Trading an asset of excess in winger Loui Eriksson will garner enough pieces to fill their needs. Ballard can immediately step into a top-4 role, and his mobility and puck-moving skills will help their transition game and offense. Schroeder, being undersized for a 3rd line role, can thrive on the second line with big, skilled wingers. Moreover, he is the all-time leading scorer for Americans at the World Juniors. Who did he surpass? None other than Mike Modano. Raymond will provide two-way depth, and the draft picks allow the Stars to further fill organizational need.

Trade 2
Losing Gudbranson in a Luongo deal would be a big blow to Florida's defence (especially after losing Garrison to us in free agency). Gaining Tanev, a young and up-and-coming defenseman who may be able to play 2nd pairing minutes after spending 2 seasons on the bottom pairing, will help to soften the blow. Luongo, still a world-class goalie, will improve their team defence and may even help them advance further into the playoffs (many believe that if they had better goaltending they would be able to advance into the 2nd round).

They lose a quality centre in Goc, but they have good prospects that can fill the need for a second line centre. They might want Huberdeau to fill in that spot, as spending another year in junior might not help his development. Also affecting whether or not he gets that second line spot is his size and strength. According to the Saint John's Sea Dogs website he is currently listed as 6'1" 171 lbs. If he gains another 5-10 lbs of muscle he has a real shot at making the NHL next season.

The Lineup
The Canucks not only get bigger and tougher throughout the entire roster, but we also gain depth. We gain a big two-way sniper with playmaking abilities on a very good contract in Loui Eriksson. We lose several assets but the acquisition of Eriksson justifies this move.

Shane Doan adds size, grit, and leadership. He should be able to hit 60 points playing alongside Eriksson and Kesler. We do overpay in the contract for a 35 year old player, but Doan is no ordinary vet. He is in tip-top shape and has at least another 2 or 3 more years of 45+ points in production.

Marcel Goc is an underrated two-way player. Although not known as a physical player, he has size (6'1" 200 lbs.) and has a high takeaway/giveaway ratio. He is relatively good at face-offs, and has enough skill to momentarily handle a second line centre role. Playing alongside physical players like Kassian and Booth will compensate for Goc's lack of physical play and will provide us with scoring depth.

The trio of Higgins, Lapierre, and Hansen was arguably our best line during our playoff run to the finals. They worked very well together as each of their own unique styles complemented each other's perfectly. They were able to forecheck hard and cause offensive zone turnovers, play clutch defensive minutes, and were able to score some goals every now and then. With the added depth up front our 3rd line now becomes our 4th.

Gudbranson on the bottom pairing with Alberts would make them a big and hard-hitting tandem. With the right partner Gudbranson could even play 2nd-pairing minutes for a short amount of time.

Outlook
The Canucks lose 1 long-term contract in Ballard but gain 2 more in Eriksson and Doan. It may be hard to re-sign both Edler and Burrows next offseason, especially with the current CBA expiring. Next season Malhotra's, Higgins', Lapierre's, and Alberts' contracts expire as well, freeing up $6.624M of cap space that can be shared between Edler and Burrows. Edler will most likely command $6M (an extra $2.75M from his current cap hit) and Burrows $4M (an extra $2M from his current cap hit). That leaves a leftover of $1.874M and the difference in whatever the cap rises to to fill 4 roster spots. Keep in mind that we could always trade a high cap contract like Booth for cap relief. The Canucks' best chance to win the cup would be this season. Next season would still have much of the roster together but a weaker 4th line.

Edited by Blömqvist, 24 July 2012 - 10:45 PM.

Every pizza is a personal pizza if you try hard enough and believe in yourself.

#2 swedishdomination

swedishdomination

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,532 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:47 PM

Eriksson <3

But like somebody else said he's pretty much the Kesler of Dallas so we'd have to overpay.

Posted Image

Credit to 7thman for the sig

#3 hockeyfan90

hockeyfan90

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,512 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:55 PM

not gunna happen the eriksson trade ....

#4 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,896 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 11:14 PM

Dude that Eriksson trade would be sick if it happened, but it won't as reality kicks in. How about this counter?

To Vancouver: Brendan Morrow

To Dallas: Keith Ballard + Raymond + 2013 2nd

Maybe add in Sauve as well

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#5 Watermelons

Watermelons

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 11:18 PM

Sick lineup, but as mentioned by others before me, Eriksson is like the Kesler of Dallas...and I think the combination of Ballard, Schroeder, Raymond, and two firsts is an underpayment....maybe if we added a bit more?

And Dallas' abundance of top-6 wingers is partially skewed because two of them are over 40 years of age and they could both be potentially gone in less than 2 years time

tumblr_lv6jbk180f1r5jtugo1_250.gif  Kirby_eats_a_watermelon.gif 

#6 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,637 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:25 AM

They signed Whitney and Jagr to make the playoffs. Not trade Eriksson and miss. So that doesn't seem realistic
Posted Image

#7 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,040 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:47 AM

Eriksson is a cornerstone of the Stars`core group moving forward. They are building around him and Benn up front. There is no way we pry him out of there without giving up a player of similar calibre. It`s just not possible to trade a bunch of spare parts that everyone knows we don`t want, nor need, for a player like Eriksson.

And I really don`t understand why people keep thinking we can pry Gudbranson or Huberdeau out of Florida for Luongo. I see this posted every single day. It`s just not gonna happen. Tallon hangs up the phone at the mention of those two names. Florida does not need Luongo, he would be a nice luxury, but they already have 3 capable goaltenders in Theodore, Clemmensen, and the up-and-coming Markstrom.

The Rick Nash deal is a good gauge of how trading a star player when he asks to be traded really lowers the value you will be getting back. There is no doubt in my mind that part of the reason Luongo is still a Canuck is because neither side is budging. Gillis likely wants Gudbranson+ in a deal for Lu, and Tallon is telling MG to go jump off a bridge.

RIP LB RR PD

#8 Phil_314

Phil_314

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,737 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:02 AM

The Stars have Roy after Benn...

Eriksson - Benn - Jagr
Whitney - Roy - Ryder (I think they have their 2nd line center, even with Ribiero gone, plus they have young Eakin to play on the 3rd)

I'd try for Eakin for Ballard, but I'm not sure both sides would bite, plus if Keith does go the team needs a replacement for him in terms of depth of talent on the back end.

For the 2nd trade, I'm not sure how to value Gudbranson, since I haven't watched him play at the NHL level, but since he's one of Florida's top prospects (and Tallon I think said that he's not planning to trade any of his top young guns) maybe Lu + Tanev for him won't be enough for the Panthers' perspective.

With the Canucks' current core I'd rather bolster the 3rd line center spot with young, committed talent though (dependent upon Gaunce's/ Schroeder's development at the time of trading Lu). Someone like Bjugstad would top the wishlist.

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Jesus LOVES YOU!
2012, meet Matthew 24:36-47!

14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

#9 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,286 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:22 AM

Neither of those trades would happen.

Jagermeister.jpg

#10 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,326 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:27 AM

Qquality over quantity, which these trades are lacking,

1314_IProvo_1680x1050.jpg

#11 CanucksFanMike

CanucksFanMike

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,632 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 04:33 PM

One can dream :rolleyes:
Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#12 JordanEberle

JordanEberle

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 04:46 PM

+1 for actually putting a lot of thought into your proposal. I appreciate that.

Although these trades are extremely close and I would probably pull the trigger on both of them, they may be slightly wishful thinking.

1) the Louis Eriksson trade would most certainly add up in NHL 12 but in real life, trading an underperforming forward and defenseman plus a promising (but small) prospect and two late first round picks doesn't equal up to one of Dallas's corner stone players. If the Canucks were a lower ranked team and those picks held more value, (say 15th or so) then this trade may have a lot more potential. I would do it but I doubt Dallas would

2) Gudbransson is going to be the core of their future defense and is going to be very difficult to pry out of Florida. I think based on the actual value of these players, it sounds like a pretty fair trade. Unfortunately it is unlikely that Luongo gets traded to his full value, because whether we like it or not if we want to add a key piece up front we need to dump Luongo and this weakens our bargaining position. Florida is under no real pressure to make the playoffs and already have a solid base roster along with a promising goalie prospect that they could survive without a top 10 goalie. I would love this deal to happen, but if we want Gudbrannson it would probably have to be something more like Luongo + Connauton, or something along those lines. Athough this trade does fulfill our need for a third line center, I don't think that our defense needs another top 4 defender right now. Although it is always nice to add a top D-man I think we already have a very solid D core and would be better served addressing our top 6 winger needs first. I would do this trade as well but I doubt Florida would.
Posted Image
Credit: Garrett-6

#13 Super_Canuck

Super_Canuck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:43 PM

Sick lineup, but as mentioned by others before me, Eriksson is like the Kesler of Dallas...and I think the combination of Ballard, Schroeder, Raymond, and two firsts is an underpayment....maybe if we added a bit more?

And Dallas' abundance of top-6 wingers is partially skewed because two of them are over 40 years of age and they could both be potentially gone in less than 2 years time

are you kidding me? Eriksson is a very good player but he isn't worth all that. Even Rick Nash didn't get CBJ 2 1st round picks. If anything that's an overpayment.

#14 TheGreenMachine

TheGreenMachine

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:22 AM

Eriksen isn't making $7.8mil a year and wasn't asked to be traded. You're going to have to throw more into the trade from our side than our spare parts and some low picks.

#15 Mayray2112

Mayray2112

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:04 AM

I'd sign doan. Trade Mayray, Booth, Tanev and 2 1sts for Ryan and visnovsky (if his deal gets canceled) if not then another D

Then trade luo for Matthias and a 1st.

Sedins-Burr
Ryan-Kesler-Doan
Higgins-Matthias-Hansen
Manny-Lapierre-Kassian

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Edler-Garrison
Ballard-visnovsky

Schneider
(Sign veteran backup)

Maybe overpaid for Ryan. But would improve our 2nd line

#16 canucks.bradley

canucks.bradley

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,525 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:36 PM

Eriksson is apart of the Dallas core. it will take more than a 5th pair D, a useless perimeter player, a rookie who is having an okay time in the AHL, and 2 basically 2nd round picks..
Posted Image
3000th post - September, 2010

K guys I nd hlp fast. Im @ a girls I rly like & txtng from my iphone. I did a #2 in the bathroom and it plugged, water is almost overflowing toilet. Srsly I dunno wut 2 do somebody help!

Watch Bowness somehow mess up Tampa Bay's already amazing 2 powerplay units...he'll probably tell Stamkos to do drop passes from centre ice, take him out from the faceoff dot, and place him infront of the goalie :lol:

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.