The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Unprecedented Greenland Ice Melt Stuns NASA Scientists

Sharpshooter

Hey I like to stir it up... All this info/data is great and I'm glad Scientists are alarmed! they have to be can't use words like Scientists are Baffled. No one would listen use words like Alarming and unprecedented people get scared.

Fear sells.

The only way to impact Mankind's "foot print" on the Earth is to get rid of Mankind. Man will always continue to advance explore exploit that's how we survive as a species, Not all this other non sense about taxing carbon/ carbon credits ect ect banning plastic bags, $5 dollar light bulbs jumping up and down screaming DENIER! DENIER! ect ect... that does diddly squat except cost money which non of us have.

We are a species on this planet and like every other species before and after us we will be extinct. it's going to happen either by an asteroid or a super Volcano, maybe another ice age or maybe an All out Nuclear war but I doubt that one or a super virus that wipes out a couple Billion maybe the Sun spits at us and we're mess up by the radiation But unless these things happen anytime soon we will be here for a while anyway a few hundred thousand years, millions maybe? maybe only a few hundred or thousand.

So I am not alarmed when some ice melts when it's summer... that ice will freeze and might get thicker in 6 months.

If 'weather cycle' is a catch-all, then what does that make 'weather event'?

And I don't know if you've noticed, but the U.S has been seemingly having '1 in a 100 year storms' for the last few years, and they know the real physical causes of them each time.

Like I said, weather patterns are related to climate trends, and in this case there isn't evidence to firmly say whether the weather was part of a natural cycle of melting that occurs every 150 years, or part of a short term extreme melt event related to a known global warming trend that is most extreme at higher lattitudes. We'll have to wait and see if this occurs again, or doesn't to see if it's a one-off and part of a cycle cause by yet unknown real physical causes that occur every 150 years or a new extreme weather event pattern that will occur yearly with similar or worse melt rates.

There isn't and hasn't been enough data collected and understood just yet, from what i've read, to close the book on this, either way.

I am going to give you a +1 solely because of this statement. Fear does indeed sell. You scare the hell out of people for long enough, no matter what the arena or agenda, and they'll pretty much believe whatever the hell you say, regardless of whether there is evidence or not. Well said.

I will give you a +1 for agreeing and being a Slayer Fan. You do realize my nickname is after a Slayer song plus I tend to be a bit right of left even though I think Rush Limbaugh is a douche and never listened to him i'm not that far right. I'm all for gay marriage but compared to most who post on here I'm a rightwing nut job. yee haw!

Your status inspired me to put my fav Slayer verse.

For those of you who want to do something pro-active, you can go here to sign a petition to put pressure on Premier Christy Clark to reject the Northern Pipeline carrying Tar Sands Oil to the B.C. Coast.

My guess is they conclude there is climate change and they cant prove how much man is causing it and how much the earth is by natural process.

I am far more interested in what their projections are in terms of what effect it will have and how we can prepare for it.

This is depressing.

People who have accepted the fact of climate change will see this story and still be powerless to do anything.

People who deny climate change will find a way to rationalize this and continue denying.

And everything will go on just the same...

This is depressing.

People who have accepted the fact of climate change will see this story and still be powerless to do anything.

People who deny climate change will find a way to rationalize this and continue denying.

I think your positions contradict one another.

If you accept that the physical models provide sufficiently good projection, then you will also have to accept that the same physical model concludes that climate change has been dominated by human activity. Note that by physical model I don't just mean large computer climate models, but I mean all models based on our physical understandings of the earth.

"Money and politics" is a poor argument. First of all it is essentially an ad hominem, a logical fallacy that has no place in a rational debate of the science itself.

That aside, of course I will not be naive to say that no results and findings are ever influenced by money or politics. Heck just human error alone can lead to erroneous findings. But the point of science is that it is not build on one person's work. It is build on numerous people's work over decades, if not centuries. The real question is, are the central finding correct?

What most people don't understand is that greenhouse theory is not something proposed during the past 30 years to scare us. The greenhouse theory was first discussed in 1820's, long before the widespread use of fossil fuel. Was the science influence by money and politics back then?

This is depressing.

I agree. It is frustrating.

There is nothing we can do about it in the large context . But some sit behind a computer screen musing about things WAY beyond their control. They think this gives them some kind of power.

Its sad. Pretending to have power over things way over their heads to do anything about. Arguing about it like THEY are in charge or make the decisions about all this.

What can we ordinary people do?

Write our government. Recycle . Car pool. Take the bus or ride a bike or walk. Invest in green energy.

These are things I would respect doing.

Whining about it on the internet ? No. I dont respect it at all .

I came across more specific information about Greenland melt.

Lora Koenig made further clarifications about the '150 cycle'

My comment shows that melt events have occurred at Summit in the past and I have quoted the longest-term average frequency of ~150 years (exactly 153 from the paper) over the past 10,000. Since this is an ice core record that frequency is for the location of Summit only. The frequency ranges from ~80 to 250 years over different sections of the GISP2 ice core, please see the paper for specifics.

I didnt ask your opinion of what you think of climate change . Nor did anyone ask you to spin the idea that climate change MUST mean man created it all or most of it. Rehashing that argument is not

helpful.

Archived