The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

GabbyTheAwesome

The Colorado Avalanche are happy to announce a trade with the Phoenix Coyotes:

Nick Backstrom

for

Mike Smith+ PHX 1st 2013

GM H2 had this to say. " We would firstly like to thank Backstrom for his time with our team. Secondly, we welcome Mike Smith to our team! We believe that he is a very good goalie, who can play very solid for us. Taking Backstrom's age and cap hit into account, we believe this is a great deal for us here in Colorado, as we get a significantly younger goalie and a 1st round pick back. We also shed 4m off of our cap."

With this deal, Colorado now has two 1st round picks in the up coming draft.

Colorado Updated Lineup:

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTERMy Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Ilya Kovalchuk ($6.667m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Martin St. Louis ($5.625m)

Taylor Hall ($3.750m) / Ryan O’Reilly ($4.500m) /
Teddy Purcell ($2.362m) 

Magnus Paajarvi($1.525m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Lauri Korpikovski($1.800m)

Cody McLeod ($1.150m) / Zenon Konopka ($0.925m)/ Matt Kassian ($0.575m)

David Van Der Gulik ($0.575m) / Mark Olver ($0.600m) / Bill Thomas ($0.550m)

DEFENSEMEN

Zbynek Michalek ($4.000m) / Keith Yandle ($5.250m) 

Nick Schultz (3.500m) / Alex Goligoski ($4.600m)

Rostislav Klesla ($2.975m) / Brendan Smith ($0.875m)

GOALTENDERS

Mike Smith ($2.000m) 
Jason Labarbera ($1.250m)

------CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,600,000; BONUSES: $3,410,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $7,106,000

UPDATED LINESCAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER

PHOENIX COYOTES

FORWARDS

David Booth ($4.250m) / Shawn Horcoff ($5.500m) / Zach Parise ($7.538m)

Brenden Morrow ($4.100m) / Frans Nielsen ($2.750m) / Pierre-Marc Bouchard ($4.080m)

Ray Whitney ($4.500m) / Vernon Fiddler ($1.800m) / Milan Hejduk ($2.000m)

Kyle Chipchura ($0.675m) / Alexandre Bolduc ($0.650m) / Boyd Gordon ($1.325m)

Cody Eakin ($0.638m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Alexander Edler ($3.250m) / Derek Morris ($2.750m)

Jan Hejda ($3.250m) / David Schlemko ($0.550m)

Andrew Alberts ($1.225m) / Matt Carkner ($1.500m)

Stefan Elliott ($0.900m) /

GOALTENDERS

Niklas Backstrom ($6.000m)

Jean-Sebastien Giguere ($1.250m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $60,481,239; BONUSES: $140,000

CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $9,718,761

Correct me if im wrong but heres my draft picks

2nd Round pick 2013

Dallas 3rd Round pick 2013

4th Round Pick 2013

5h Round pick 2013

6th Round pick 2013

7th Round pick 2013

UPDATED LINESCAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER

PHOENIX COYOTES

FORWARDS

David Booth ($4.250m) / Shawn Horcoff ($5.500m) / Zach Parise ($7.538m)

Brenden Morrow ($4.100m) / Frans Nielsen ($2.750m) / Pierre-Marc Bouchard ($4.080m)

Ray Whitney ($4.500m) / Vernon Fiddler ($1.800m) / Milan Hejduk ($2.000m)

Kyle Chipchura ($0.675m) / Alexandre Bolduc ($0.650m) / Boyd Gordon ($1.325m)

Cody Eakin ($0.638m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Alexander Edler ($3.250m) / Derek Morris ($2.750m)

Jan Hejda ($3.250m) / David Schlemko ($0.550m)

Andrew Alberts ($1.225m) / Matt Carkner ($1.500m)

Stefan Elliott ($0.900m) /

GOALTENDERS

Niklas Backstrom ($6.000m)

Jean-Sebastien Giguere ($1.250m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $60,481,239; BONUSES: $140,000

CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $9,718,761

Correct me if im wrong but heres my draft picks

COL 1st round pick 2013

1st Round pick 2013

2nd Round pick 2013

Dallas 3rd Round pick 2013

4th Round Pick 2013

5h Round pick 2013

6th Round pick 2013

7th Round pick 2013

Hey everyone! Thanks for letting me in. Can't wait for the game to come out so we can get on the ice.

I've looked over the trade tracker, can I assume that no trades with my team were made? I can't find any on record, but I don't want to turn and trade someone that's been moved and is just waiting in queue.

Assuming I have my full roster, pretty much anyone is available, except for Couture, Vlasic... and I just checked and that's it. Everyone else is worth talking about.

Read this in another thread, not sure if you guys would want to do it or not, but does anyone have interest in doing a 30in30 for our league? I was thinking that GM's would post about their own team(biggest questions, x-factor, lineup, etc) on their day. We could have two a day since it is about 2 weeks until the game comes out. If the GM of the team who's day it is is away on their day, they are simply skipped.

Schedule could be alphabetical starting tomorrow, or if you have interest in doing this, you could just post it.

Thanks,

H2

P.S. I'm gonna have some fun with this and make one for the Av's.

COLORADO AVALANCHE 30in30

BIGGEST QUESTIONS:

1. How will Mike Smith Perform?

• Mike Smith finally took off last year, having the best season of his career. After being a highly touted backup with Dallas, he was traded to Tampa Bay and was expected to be their starter. He never performed up to his expectations with Tampa, and he wound up in Phoenix a few years later. This past year, Smith played like the goalie he was expected to be, and showed that he could raise his game to another level in the playoffs. The biggest question for the Av’s this year is: Can Mike Smith build on his success last year and challenge for the Vezina?

• How will the kids do?

• The Av’s will have plenty of scoring from their top line this year, but their second line featuring young studs Taylor Hall and Ryan O’Rielly should not be overlooked. This line has the potential provide great secondary scoring, or they could go their struggles cause by inexperience. How will they do?

[*]Can Taylor Hall stay healthy?

• Can Taylor Hall stay healthy? This is a question that could be number one on this list, but reports from team doctors deem him healthy. A healthy Hall is a scary thing for other teams to face, and it could give the Av’s four legitimate top-line forwards. Don’t be surprised if Hall ends up playing on the top line for the Av’s by the end of the year.

[*]How will the special teams do?

• The Av’s certainly should have a great penalty kill this year…on paper. They have players like Kesler, O’Rielly, Helm, and Korpikovski up front and guys like Michalek, Schultz, and Klesla on the back end. Their powerplay should also be great, with offensive players such as Kovalchuk, St. Louis, Hall, and Purcell up front and Goligoski, Yandle, and Smith on the back end. Can the Av’s specialty teams be as effective on the ice as they are on paper?

[*]Will this team jell?

• GM Hamhuis2 has had a very busy offseason thus far, and has turned the Avalanche from a bottom-10 team into a playoff team. They question is, how will this team perform? Will they meet expectations, and contend for the Cup? Or will they lack chemistry and flop?

[*]Can this team bring it in the playoffs?

• The Av’s have built a solid team, but can they bring it come playoff time? The 3rd line will be counted on to shut down other teams lines, and score timely goals, but can they deliver? With depth players like Helm, Korpikovski and the crew, the Av’s could be a set for a long playoff run this year.

COLORADO AVALANCHE X-FACTOR: Mike Smith

As the off season is drawing to a close, the new look Colorado Avalanche look like a very solid team. They have an incredibly deep group of forwards up front, have a good mix of offensive and defensive defensemen on the backend, and look to be solid in their specialty teams. However, we’ve seen good teams falter if they do not get much help in net, such as the Philadelphia Flyers last season. Mike Smith could be terrific, or he could be poor. Expect him to be solid, posting numbers around 0.920SV% and 2.3GG, but not as spectacular as he was last season. Though with the solid team defense the Av’s have built in front of him, I don’t think anyone would be surprised if he was in the running for the Vezina once again.

COLORADO AVALANCHE CURRENT ROSTER:

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTERMy Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Ilya Kovalchuk ($6.667m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Martin St. Louis ($5.625m)

Taylor Hall ($3.750m) / Ryan O’Reilly ($4.500m) /
Teddy Purcell ($2.362m)

Lauri Korpikovski($1.800m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Cal Clutterbuck($1.400m)

Cody McLeod ($1.150m) / Zenon Konopka ($0.925m)/ Matt Kassian ($0.575

David Van Der Gulik ($0.575m) / Mark Olver ($0.600m) / Bill Thomas ($0.550m)

DEFENSEMEN

Zbynek Michalek ($4.000m) / Keith Yandle ($5.250m)

Nick Schultz (3.500m) / Alex Goligoski ($4.600m)

Rostislav Klesla ($2.975m) / Brendan Smith ($0.875m)

GOALTENDERS

Mike Smith ($2.000m)

Jason Labarbera ($1.250m) 

------CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,600,000; BONUSES: $3,410,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $7,221,000

TOP PROSPECTS:

*Note, some of these players play for the Avalanche

1. Taylor Hall: Young, budding superstar in the making is already a solid top-6 forward in the NHL. Look for him to get in the 70 point range this year.

2. Ryan O'Reilly: Led his team in scoring last year, came 4th in Selke voting, and did I mention he is only 20 years old. O'Reilly is set to center the Av's 2nd line this season. If he and Hall find some chemistry, look for his point total to increase from last year.

3. Brendan Smith: This young rearguard has had his time to develop, and he is now ready to be a regular NHL defenceman. Look for him to use his solid offensive awareness this year and take some chances, especially if he is paired with defensive-minded Klesla. Expect him to get some solid 2nd unit powerplay time as well.

4. Mark Olver: This young forward showed promise with his few games with the Av's last year, though he is expected to start on the farm to start the year. He could overtake a 4th liner in training camp and make the team, but it is most likely he will be given #1 center duties in Lake Eerie.

5. David Van der Gulik: This strong 2-way winger also showed signs of promise for the Av's this year. Look for him to be a solid depth forward for them

6. Jonas Holos: A solid defenseman with upside, he has top-4 potential, but he will have to work on rounding out his overall game. Expect him to be on the opening night roster, but he will only play if there is an injury on the blueline.

7. Brad Malone: Big, strong center will likely spend the year in Lake Eerie after a strong showing for them as a rookie last year.

8. Kent Patterson: Minnesota Gophers goalie will be eying a spot with the Lake Eerie monsters this season, but he will have to beat out other strong goaltenders in the system.

9. Kieren Millan: Another strong NCAA goalie, Millan's Boston University Terriers were ousted from the NCAA tournament last year by Patterson's Gophers. Look for him to be Patterson's biggest competition in net for the Monsters this season.

10. Sami Aittokallio: This Finnish netminder is was the starter for Finland at the World Junior's last year. Finland has long list of great goalies, and Aittokallio has the potential to add to that list.

The Colorado Avalanche would like to thank those that took the time to read their 30in30 and hope they enjoyed the read. Looking forward to next season!

Thanks,

H2

Archived