The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If the Canucks sign Doan, will the NHL slowly start to cheer for us, not against us?

dangler696969

The NHL seems to love the teams that have an old veteran and great player on the team who has never won that elusive cup. Ray Bourque, Lanny Macdonald, Dave Andreychuk, etc.

Is it possible that if Doan is on our team, we would have less haters and the NHL might possibly favor us in certain ways such as calls on the ice, and media attention? I think it is. Discuss.

Who cares if the rest of the league doesn't cheer for us? As long this city is behind the team, that's all that matters. Plus Im not sure if signing Doan is such a good thing. He will cost atleast $5M plus and that would put us over the cap, which means we would have to dump Lu for next to nothing. We also have guys like Burrows and Edler who need to be re-signed with a significant raise. Doan's contract would be a burden IMO

If that's true, I can't see the Rags making too serious a push now that they've added #61. If Doaner wants a cup before he hangs up the skates, he won't be going to MTL, either. I wouldn't count MG out just yet, but, if Philly was willing to break the bank for Weber, they've got the cap space more than VAN to make it worth Doan's while to move to PA.

Actually, I read that part of the draw for the Rangers is that Doan might want to play with Nash. Also, they do still have cap room and he prefers an Eastern conference team rather than play Phoenix several times each year (according to the Bleacher Report).

don't get me wrong, i'm all for shane doan (despite previous criticisms of his personal beliefs' effects on dressing room chemistry)

but am i the only one who gets the impression that 90% of the rabble in this market demanding shane doan on a silver platter couldn't tell you who the captain of the coyotes is?

How many games have you watched lately? You see the refs favor one team all the time. Last year it was Boston (obviously did you see the games?) and this year it was L.A. and don't say I am being a homer. I will openly agree that the worst reffing was in the L.A. v Coyotes series. It was ridiculous. I'm also not saying it's the refs decision, it's the league. Look at the past 5 cup winners and they have all been perfect for the league. Another "tip" of this is the teams starting in Europe always win the cup. Coincidence? I think not.

The NHL seems to love the teams that have an old veteran and great player on the team who has never won that elusive cup. Ray Bourque, Lanny Macdonald, Dave Andreychuk, etc.

Is it possible that if Doan is on our team, we would have less haters and the NHL might possibly favor us in certain ways such as calls on the ice, and media attention? I think it is. Discuss.

Archived