Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * * - 3 votes

If the Canucks sign Doan, will the NHL slowly start to cheer for us, not against us?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
91 replies to this topic

#61 ChuckNORRIS4Cup

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,507 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 03:04 PM

The NHL seems to love the teams that have an old veteran and great player on the team who has never won that elusive cup. Ray Bourque, Lanny Macdonald, Dave Andreychuk, etc.
Is it possible that if Doan is on our team, we would have less haters and the NHL might possibly favor us in certain ways such as calls on the ice, and media attention? I think it is. Discuss.

Posted Image

Eh8NO.jpg

Trevor Linden Quote Nov. 29th 2012 [Asked if he would return to the game?]
"The game has been with me for a long time, if the right opportunity came about, you never know"

#62 TowelPower12

TowelPower12

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 04:06 PM

All the other Canadian teams are just extremely jealous. So they try to find anything to bring us down.

We are NOT diving or chirping more than any other team. It's just because we are so good they cant stand us.

funny cause it's true not matter how much they deny it, were people hating on us in the late 90's during the Messier/Keenan days when we were garbage? no, it wasn't until we started consistently being a great team year after year that the hate started

#63 Super_Canuck

Super_Canuck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 04:13 PM

Who cares if the rest of the league doesn't cheer for us? As long this city is behind the team, that's all that matters. Plus Im not sure if signing Doan is such a good thing. He will cost atleast $5M plus and that would put us over the cap, which means we would have to dump Lu for next to nothing. We also have guys like Burrows and Edler who need to be re-signed with a significant raise. Doan's contract would be a burden IMO

#64 Max-a-Million

Max-a-Million

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 04:22 PM

Bring Doan and bring the hate, makes us stronger. Exciting but I'm afraid it's not gonna happen. MG has no success with big names unless they are past their "best before" date like Sundin.

I spend half my money on Wine, Women and Song.
The other half I waste!

#65 Canucks_fo_life

Canucks_fo_life

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,610 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 04:26 PM

I want everyone to cheer against us, I love the hate we and attention our fans and our team get
I rather lose with the Canucks, than win with any other team

This is OUR year

GO CANUCKS GOOOOOO!!!!!!!

#66 hockeystar

hockeystar

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 05:17 PM

in that case we have the twins.... we should be loved! and not hated
Posted Image

#67 steviewonder20

steviewonder20

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:04 PM

If that's true, I can't see the Rags making too serious a push now that they've added #61. If Doaner wants a cup before he hangs up the skates, he won't be going to MTL, either. I wouldn't count MG out just yet, but, if Philly was willing to break the bank for Weber, they've got the cap space more than VAN to make it worth Doan's while to move to PA.

Actually, I read that part of the draw for the Rangers is that Doan might want to play with Nash. Also, they do still have cap room and he prefers an Eastern conference team rather than play Phoenix several times each year (according to the Bleacher Report).

#68 Garrison

Garrison

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:14 PM

Stop with the madness! The NHL referees are professionals! They don't "favor" teams.

How many games have you watched lately? You see the refs favor one team all the time. Last year it was Boston (obviously did you see the games?) and this year it was L.A. and don't say I am being a homer. I will openly agree that the worst reffing was in the L.A. v Coyotes series. It was ridiculous. I'm also not saying it's the refs decision, it's the league. Look at the past 5 cup winners and they have all been perfect for the league. Another "tip" of this is the teams starting in Europe always win the cup. Coincidence? I think not.

#69 questforthecup

questforthecup

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:40 PM

The only way to be loveable is to suck.

But I don't love the Calgary Flames...

#70 tas

tas

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,827 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:51 PM

Actually, I read that part of the draw for the Rangers is that Doan might want to play with Nash. Also, they do still have cap room and he prefers an Eastern conference team rather than play Phoenix several times each year (according to the Bleacher Report).

bleacher report is no more of a source than you are yourself. think about it: bleacher report. who sits in the bleachers?

#71 radski

radski

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:09 PM

The only way to be loveable is to suck.

Certainly explains why everyone loves the leafs and oilers :lol:

#72 canucktican

canucktican

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:29 PM

They would hate us more because we would be better then all of them

this

#73 stonecoldstevebernier

stonecoldstevebernier

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:54 PM

if Doan signed with Chicago or Boston, would you start to cheer for them? I wouldn't, and I wouldn't expect fans of other teams to suddenly start liking the Canucks more... it's not really an issue, the team that's popular to hate changes every little while depending on whoever's at the top of the standings.

abl8vt.jpg

#74 **Pavel4Life**

**Pavel4Life**

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:45 PM

Did I miss something. What's with all the Doan talk? Is their a rumour that he is coming here?
CFOO SIG FTW!

QUOTE (bugmo @ Jul 23 2009, 12:09 AM) And you are an idiot who can't see things for the way they are. It's people like you who make it seem okay for the canucks to have a non playoff making team every year. Gillis supporter go jump off the Patullo.

This was said to me and it makes me laugh everytime I read it.

#75 tas

tas

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,827 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:51 PM

don't get me wrong, i'm all for shane doan (despite previous criticisms of his personal beliefs' effects on dressing room chemistry)

but am i the only one who gets the impression that 90% of the rabble in this market demanding shane doan on a silver platter couldn't tell you who the captain of the coyotes is?

#76 TheWestCoastConnection

TheWestCoastConnection

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:37 AM

I think anyone who wanted him on their team would just hate us more.
Posted Image

#77 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:46 AM

How many games have you watched lately? You see the refs favor one team all the time. Last year it was Boston (obviously did you see the games?) and this year it was L.A. and don't say I am being a homer. I will openly agree that the worst reffing was in the L.A. v Coyotes series. It was ridiculous. I'm also not saying it's the refs decision, it's the league. Look at the past 5 cup winners and they have all been perfect for the league. Another "tip" of this is the teams starting in Europe always win the cup. Coincidence? I think not.

Posted Image

#78 babych

babych

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,257 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:42 PM

The NHL seems to love the teams that have an old veteran and great player on the team who has never won that elusive cup. Ray Bourque, Lanny Macdonald, Dave Andreychuk, etc.
Is it possible that if Doan is on our team, we would have less haters and the NHL might possibly favor us in certain ways such as calls on the ice, and media attention? I think it is. Discuss.

Dude, the Canucks could ice a forward line of Ghandi, Jesus Christ and the Dalai Lama and other fan bases would still find a reason to hate.
(shiznak@Jun 17 2008, 08:00 PM)
Kesler was lucky to score 20 this year since the injury to Morrison allowed him to do so.

I doubt Kesler would ever break 15 goals in his career again.

#79 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 02:02 PM

I hope not. I like being the most hated, and when we win our cup, SUCK ON THAT, haters.

:)
Posted Image

#80 tas

tas

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,827 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 02:42 PM

i don't mind the team being hated, it's the reasons they're hated for that bothers me, and the legitimacy of those reasons especially.

#81 mikee21

mikee21

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:34 PM

Haters gonna hate. and i dont think theres any team in the league that doesnt have haters if thats what you mean by "NHL"

#82 Moonshinefe

Moonshinefe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,196 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:46 PM

Dude, the Canucks could ice a forward line of Ghandi, Jesus Christ and the Dalai Lama and other fan bases would still find a reason to hate.

rofl... that line would be sweet.

Anyway, Booth has said before he can play on either side, so it really depends who's going to be filling the 6th forward slot. It might be a player who stinks on their off-wing so Booth will move accordingly.

#83 CanucksWino

CanucksWino

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:10 PM

The insecurity of this fan-base is astounding...

#84 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,555 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 06:16 AM

I find sometimes other fans tend to hate our fans rather than our players.

they do hate some of our players but I think they like/respect some of them too.

The biggest reason we are so hated is the fans.

Plenty of other teams are worse than our players and we are still the most hated, so the players being the reason doesn't seem to add up to me.

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 29 July 2012 - 06:16 AM.

zackass.png

#85 Nino

Nino

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,583 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:41 AM

The Canucks already have (or had) a lot of classy players (twins, salo, many, etc). It's the players like Lou, Ryan and even though I like him burrows that give us a bad name.

#86 NLluvitorleaveit

NLluvitorleaveit

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:11 AM

Meh...regarding other fans and media...

Posted Image

Posted Image

#87 Standing_Tall#37

Standing_Tall#37

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,129 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:27 AM

MG wont ever get Doan or a player like Doan. It's against his rules to get a player who sticks up for his teammates.

Plus I just don't see him playing here...too wishy-washy all-in-all for a guy who plays his type of honest hardworking style

#88 thema

thema

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 01:31 PM

If the Canucks just play the damn hockey game, keep their mouth shuts and stand strong, they'll be treated better. If they dive and start biting fingers, then they should expect the hate.

My God, some sanity here.

I love my Canucks but it kills me inside when I see guys like Kesler doing cartwheels in an attempt to draw a penalty, or Burrows biting and hair pulling or any one of a number of guys who can't throw a check from anywhere but behind. Time to change that!

#89 pwnstar

pwnstar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 02:30 PM

even if we had crosby, they would still hate us

Posted Image

#90 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 76,812 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 02:31 PM

Not a chance. Most fans of other teams hate the Canucks because of the fans. Not to mention we have guys like Lapierre, Kesler, Burrows on the team.

307mg00.jpg

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.