The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Dale Weise settles - 1 year, $615,000, one way

He'll likely be the 13th forward. I don't really see any kind of semi-permanent spot for him. Even without Doan or a different top 6 forward acquisition the roster looks like this:

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Kesler - Higgins

Raymond - Malhotra - Hansen

Volpatti - Lapierre - Weise

Ok, so there's an open spot on the 4th line now. But you have to think Gillis isn't done with the roster yet. Anyway, however things shake out, I don't see Weise as being a regular this year by any means. He'll stick as the 13th forward and maybe even get time with the Wolves.

Glad to have Weise back, but the one way scares me. There is going to be a lot of competition in training camp for bottom 6 spots.

Malholtra, Weise, Ebbet, Volpatti, Pinnizotto, Lapiere, Kassian, Jensen, Schroeder, Higgins, Hansen, Raymond. This will be an active camp, it's understandable that Weise only wanted a one way.

He is exactly the type of player AV likes as he can play hockey in all three zones. Looking at his hits per game too he is right at the top of the team (forwards) especially when you look at minutes per game. He had 8 fights last year 2nd on the team and 8 minors and 1 major penalty in 68 games compared to Lapierre who had 9 fights and 15 minors. Both had a game misconduct ( Boston game I believe). He will never be a true enforcer but is a guy who can contribute while on the ice. These 4 players will do the majority of our teams "truculence" for lack of a better word this season while all being able to take a regular shift. Volpatti is only guy that I'm not sure about as he only played 23 games but I hope he becomes a Tanner Glass type player.

1. Lapierre 2.975 hits per game / 11:13 minutes per game -3 PDO = 1009

2. Volpatti 2.653 hits per game / 8:58 minutes per game -2 PDO = 995

3. Kassian 1.795 hits per game / 11:17 minutes per game -2 PDO = 997

4. Weise 1.735 hits per game / 8:09 minutes per game -1 PDO = 1011

He is exactly the type of player AV likes as he can play hockey in all three zones. Looking at his hits per game too he is right at the top of the team (forwards) especially when you look at minutes per game. He had 8 fights last year 2nd on the team and 8 minors and 1 major penalty in 68 games compared to Lapierre who had 9 fights and 15 minors. Both had a game misconduct ( Boston game I believe). He will never be a true enforcer but is a guy who can contribute while on the ice. These 4 players will do the majority of our teams "truculence" for lack of a better word this season while all being able to take a regular shift. Volpatti is only guy that I'm not sure about as he only played 23 games but I hope he becomes a Tanner Glass type player.

1. Lapierre 2.975 hits per game / 11:13 minutes per game -3 PDO = 1009

2. Volpatti 2.653 hits per game / 8:58 minutes per game -2 PDO = 995

3. Kassian 1.795 hits per game / 11:17 minutes per game -2 PDO = 997

4. Weise 1.735 hits per game / 8:09 minutes per game -1 PDO = 1011

Good, he's young and can still round out his physical game - he's got the speed to play with energy on the fourth line. And he was working with a boxing coach this summer to work on his fighting, so those who judge him based on one season should give him another chance. He was a rookie like any other last season, and he has room to improve from here. Glad to have him back!

Archived