The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Dale Weise settles - 1 year, $615,000, one way

People shouldn't underestimate Weise though. The guy's got some hidden offensive talent and is just entering his prime.

Last season was his first full season. And of course he didn't blow anyone away, but he had a respectable season.

If you look at his AHL totals as an indicator, there's definitely some untapped potential there. He had a better PPG average at 21 in the AHL, than any of our recent top prospects have had.

People shouldn't underestimate Weise though. The guy's got some hidden offensive talent and is just entering his prime.

Last season was his first full season. And of course he didn't blow anyone away, but he had a respectable season.

If you look at his AHL totals as an indicator, there's definitely some untapped potential there. He had a better PPG average at 21 in the AHL, than any of our recent top prospects have had.

Would like to see an answer to our 3C position more.. but that doesn't seem likely until the Doan deal is complete so MG knows exactly what to target as return for Luongo... on a side note, does anyone have any further news on how Malhotra is recovering from his injury? if he could play close to 90% of how he played before his injury, I would still pick him over Lappy as our 3C

oh well, at least this move solidifies our 4th line of Volpatti - Lappy - Weise

and between Volpatti and Weise, I feel Volpatti will be the one to get injured and our 4th line will become

Pinizzotto - Lappy - Weise

Weise is not big enough, doesn't get enough hits, not a good enough fighter, doesn't pass well.

Weise was a marginal nhl'er last year. Yes, he could get better, but I think he's just insurance.

I hope that he doesn't play a single minute with us next season because that will mean we've improved our fourth line.

I don't think a lot of people are understanding what a one-way contract is. All this means is that if he clears waivers and plays in the AHL, he'd be making the same salary. So unless you're the ones paying his salary, there's no reason to care.

He was a below average 4th liner last year. My highlight was seeing him beat up Horton. As others have mentioned he is only 23 and 'could' develop into something a little more than what he is now.

He needs to show improvement this year - its a big year for him.

He's young, he's pretty versatile, and he has drive. He's not a goon and doesn't fit the mold that some people expected of him - so what? Look at all the comments from fans of other teams that would love for him to play on their 2nd-3rd lines: http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=10730. It's amusing to read all the whining about him electing for arbitration in the first place, and now that he's signed for peanuts (by league standards) instead of waiting for arbitration there's still whining. Ridiculous.

Archived