The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Jamie Benn for Edler

Well, there it is everyone, nice and simple. My trade opens up other options for MG to use when trying to move Luongo.

I don't have the full picture, was just reading a Eklund report on Jamie Benn and starting thinking about the idea.

The second part is it then opens up another player you can package with Luongo, to maybe get another D-man to replace Edler

Players that would be open to be traded IMO would be:

Luongo

Higgins

Booth

Raymond

Ballard

I am not saying trade them all, it just seems opens the door a little wider, when loking to add top talent.

Anyone have any ideas who you might go after? And look this is just for fun, it is mid summer and I don't want to talk about Weber any more.

Personally, I think Columbus would love some of the players off this list?

Both teams wouldn't do it. Jamie Benn is probably the best thing on the stars right now and will probably be the face of the franchise for years to come.

Alex Edler is a UFA next year, and will leave a huge hole in the Canuck's D. The offense will be fine, and though it will be nice to add a star forward, the team will be imbalanced. Edler is the closest thing to a number 1 D on the Canucks. Signing one is impossible and would require a massive over payment.

I dont know why people think trading Edler will help us in anyway, if anything it will make us worse, we can have all the offense in the world but if we dont have the defense we won't go anywhere.

I'm not open to trading Booth, and I don't think there is any reason to trade Ballard unless there is an upgrade at a price that makes sense.

but I'm completely open to trading Raymond and/or Higgins, since those guys are pretty much 3rd line players with some 2nd line upside then it makes them the most expendable.

If someone would want Higgins, like Columbus I wouldn't mind trading him for a 3rd line center, I think that would really help.

Sorry guys, I thought that it could go here because there was a tab for proposals, but I get it. Sorry again. I do also see Edlers importance, just thought it was worth throwing it out there. Sorry again.

Moderators, if you could move this please.

I dont know why people think trading Edler will help us in anyway, if anything it will make us worse, we can have all the offense in the world but if we dont have the defense we won't go anywhere.

I'm not open to trading Booth, and I don't think there is any reason to trade Ballard unless there is an upgrade at a price that makes sense.

but I'm completely open to trading Raymond and/or Higgins, if we can get Doan or a winger in the Luongo deal it makes wingers expendable, and since those guys are pretty much 3rd line players with some 2nd line upside then it makes them the most expendable.

If someone would want Higgins, like Columbus I wouldn't mind trading him for a 3rd line center, I think that would really help.

Why would we trade Edler when he is one of the key pieces in our top 4? A top 4 that could very well be the BEST in the league with Garrison now. And our depth isn't bad either with Ballard and Tanev on the bottom pairing.

This is easier said than done, but I think Gillis should just make a strong push for Weiss in a Luongo deal, sign Shane Doan and call it a Summer.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Booth-Kesler-Doan

Higgins-Weiss-Hansen

Manny-Lapierre-Volpatti

Bieksa-Hamhuis

Edler-Garrison

Ballard-Tanev

Schneider

Lack/Veteran

If Gretzky, Carter, Richards, Brad Park, Phil Esposito, Ray Bourque,Rick Nash, Lanny MacDonald, Trevor Linden, Todd Bertuzzi, Pavel Bure, Igor Larionov etc, can be traded why not Edler? If a trade can make the team stronger, then why not make a trade?

Point is, we do not know what Edler will ask for, and he may ask for a bundle ( Based on his Offensive stats ) and if he gets it, then it will upset the salary apple cart on "D". or he will be gone in 2 years......and Detroit has just as many Swedes, and that's not mentioning the SEL or the KHL.

Just some random thoughts.....Same goes for Booth too! If it improves the team then why not?

I think it's a fair deal, one-for-one, but unless we have another No.2 type defenseman lying around somewhere, we simply can't afford to trade Edler. Our defensive depth is already iffy as it is, losing Edler gives us a bottom-five defense that will not be able to win a cup.

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Ballard - Garrison

Alberts - Tanev

Yikes. Not good enough. I love Benn. But we need Edler.

If you want Benn you might as well go for the offer sheet.

I think it's a fair deal, one-for-one, but unless we have another No.2 type defenseman lying around somewhere, we simply can't afford to trade Edler. Our defensive depth is already iffy as it is, losing Edler gives us a bottom-five defense that will not be able to win a cup.

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Ballard - Garrison

Alberts - Tanev

Yikes. Not good enough. I love Benn. But we need Edler.

If you want Benn you might as well go for the offer sheet.

Archived