The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Go for Doan now or wait for Iginla?

cmpunk

Iginla is one of the best all-around players in the league if not THE best. I also think he edges Doan for best Captain in the league too. Iginla is one of my favorite players and I really do wish he would ditch Calgary because he is one player who deserves a much better team........like the.....Canucks for instance.

Iginla with the Sedins has me frothing at the mouth. Iginla because he can rack up the points. I highly doubt that we will ever get Iginla though....he has been loyal to Calgary and is the face of that franchise, I hope that he is honoured by retiring a Flame.

Now that Nash is gone, my next wet dream is Perry with the Sedins.

both would be a great addition.  But I doubt it is going to happen.

it is a matter of cost vs profit.  I think our GM is playing the business game, and not willing to spend too much to get he needs.... profit!!!  Who care about cup, when you are making money...

Okay here is my 2 cents.

To build a little credibility on the subject I live in Calgary and hear what the fans and media here say all the time. Further I have a family/friend connection to Allan Markin and have even golfed with him.

While I see how people here love the idea of Iginla on our team, I have to say this won't happen before this turns into another 'SIGN DOAN!, SIGN PARISE!, SIGN WEBER!' type frenzy.

Iginla and Flames organization have a very good, very strong relationship. Iginla wants to succeed in Calgary and he has worked with the organization his whole career to try and make that happen. This, however, does not mean that he isn't frustrated. He has publicly stated that he is frustrated with not winning and primarily with the lack of talented players in Calgary. He feels like he has to carry the team offensively every year, and well...he's right.

With that being said I do foresee him leaving the Flames in the near future. But it won't be to play for the Canucks. First I see Calgary trying to trade him to get younger (as someone else already mentioned). In fact, I see kipper and Bowmeester having the same fate but I will stay on topic with Iginla. I believe Iginla wants to help out the organization in get something decent in return for him. If the Flames fail to trade him however I think he will test out Free Agency next summer.

I highly doubt he will be looking at Vancouver because then he would be turning his back on the Flames organization. I truly believe he wants to do right by the Flames, and signing with a powerful division rival would hurt them. If he signs somewhere other than Calgary, my bet is on an eastern team (as someone else mentioned). Lastly, and correct me if I am wrong, I seem to remember seeing Iginla in an interview a few years back and he really didn't have anything nice to say about the Canucks organization.

So...try not to get your hopes up, and keep the 'SIGN DOAN!' frenzy going ;)

Iggy wouldn't sign here if he had a gun to his head. Ide rather go for doan based on the options here. Although its unlikely we sign Doan as well.

Iggys a Flame for life, and if possible, Doan will be a 'Yote for life too.

This topic is retarded. For any Canucks fans to think Iggy will ever put on a Canuck jersey is absolutely asinine.

Iggy is a loyal player who means A LOT to the Calgary community. He IS the Calgary Flames. And you think either

1)Flames will trade him to Van?

2) Iggy will come in under his free will as a UFA?

Iol

When Iggy was getting grilled about the play of the Flames, one of his most candid comments was regarding how upset he was that Flames fans had to put up with crap from their rival fans (Edmonton and Van fans. A player that cares THAT much about his fans would NOT jump at the money and go to a rival team in the same division in the final years of his career...

There are other cup contenders that aren't rivals that he could go to so why would he EVER pic kthe one that would put a dagger through their organization and fan base???

When March comes around and the Flames have no hope of making the playoffs, why wouldn't Iginla agree to a 3-month rental to the Schmucks? That wouldn't change his standing next summer at all. Issue would be more of whether the Canucks could afford what Calgary would want in return.

Archived