The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The plan?

hotelierhockey

Like the Garrison for Salo move but we still have the identical group of forwards as last year.

That's unacceptable considering they couldn't get it done in the playoffs and lack of scoring was an issue. Doan is a long shot and I'm not expecting any miracles for Luango. Maybe a newbie will surprise at camp but I'm not holding my breath for AV to change his ways.

Big fat no to Semin:

-soft Euro (can say it cuz I'm one, minus the soft part)

-not a playoff guy

Like the Garrison for Salo move but we still have the identical group of forwards as last year.

That's unacceptable considering they couldn't get it done in the playoffs and lack of scoring was an issue. Doan is a long shot and I'm not expecting any miracles for Luango. Maybe a newbie will surprise at camp but I'm not holding my breath for AV to change his ways.

Big fat no to Semin:

-soft Euro (can say it cuz I'm one, minus the soft part)

-not a playoff guy

Don't be fooled, MG has plans, however it all depends if we get Doan. If we don't we'll need to acquire a top 6 player, if we do, we need to clear salary. Start panicking come September if we've done nothing

Jason Garisson might have something to say about this. I believe that we have done well so far this off-season. All that's left is the wait on the Doan signing, and the likely trade of Roberto Luongo. I believe the pieces coming back in the Luongo trade, with or without the signing of a player such as Doan, will be enough to have made some changes that will bring us one more step towards Lord Stanley's Cup.

MG's already tabled an offer for Doan, and he'll work to see what can come back for Lu (Matthias and 1st would be underwhelming from an expectation standpoint but satisfactory in filling the 3rd line spot). I know the off season is long, but no need to get too caught up in the day-to-day happenings (or lack thereof).

Also hope that MG could bring in an aggressive, proven playoff performer who would fit in the bottom 6, been hoping for someone like Max Talbot in terms of his versatility and ability to step up when it mattered. Penner for cheap would've been good too; been hoping for Adam Henrique, but of course I'm not holding my breath for that one. :P

Apparently the argument now is that we must either:

1) Pick up a big time player via UFA or Trade without losing much or lose nothing at all.

-UFA was dry after Suter and Parise - both went to their homeland team - can't be picked up. (0)

-We picked up Garrison. (+)

-Trying to get Doan. (to be determined)

-Lost Salo (-)

2) Change at least some part of our core group, in order to illicite a change large enough to allow for a large improvement.

-Trade Sedins for stronger top 6 - seriously? (0)

-Trade Kesler for stronger top 6 - can't while injured (0)

-Trade Edler/Bieksa for stronger top 2 dmen for someone like Weber - nashville matches any offer (0)

-Trading anyone else is a sideways movement at best, unless a team wants to give us free top 6 forwards for weak players. (0)

Conclusion, we are handcuffed on #2. While on #1, we lost Salo, but got Garrison, and can have a good offseason if we pick up Doan.

This offseason has been decent so-far.

If we lost Salo, and didn't replace him that would have been bad.

but we got Garrison as an upgrade for future years. (I love Sami but his best days are behind him)

We also resigned Scheids to a great contract...

We're in the mix for Doan, which would be great.

but alot of teams are...If we don't get him, our off-season isn't ruined.

Schultz would have been nice, but getting him won't make or break our franchise.

Plus Lu will fetch a decent return....

The off-season isn't over. Even without landing a marquee player, I'd still consider it a success...

I have a plan that Gillis has to listen too. We should trade all of our team, so that in the new season we don't have a single player returning. That would be a BIG offseason then wouldn't it? Maybe the Sedins for Weber, and Kesler for Brown. Will that satisfy some of you then?

<_<

Other than sign free agents, which is not as simple as some people assume, what else could we be doing right now that would be so different than the other 29 teams? This is not NHL 12 kids. Just because you can trade players, doesn't mean you should. Most trades only move the team sideways, and don't really benefit the team. The worst problem with trading players is there is always the risk of them not adjusting as well to playing on a new team (such as Ballard in his first season here). People complain about the Ballard trade constantly, but then turn around and say MG isn't doing enough, and should sign more players and make more trades, you know to shake up the core. This completely ignores the fact that every new acquisition is a risk, and then they will complain when they don't perform to the standard they performed on their previous team, and will call MG and idiot for making a trade.

Some fans are just unnecessarily negative, spinning whatever happens into this constant stream of negativity that really gets in the way of more constructive conversation. MG could sign Malkin to the team to a 7 million dollar deal, and people here would still complain that he didn't get Crosby.

To those who fairly balance points, and sometimes disagree with the decisions the team has made, and freely voice your opinions on the matter, I am not referring to you. I am talking about the whiny crybabies that start endless amount of Gillis why u no SIGN ALL THE FREE AGENTS!!! threads.

I would like MG to start to use his younger players.

We draft these guys for a reason. Schroeder will be an RFA next year and he has never played an NHL game

I am also assuming so will Yann Sauve and hes played about 6 games.

As much as we need to go for a run right now, we also need to develop our youngsters.

I would like to see Kassian, Schroeder, Caunnation and Sauve in the mix this year.

no one in vancouver wants russian semin all over the ice surface, especially when we would have to overpay for it. i think i can speak on behalf of everyone when i say that we would all rather have a hard working doaner :bigblush:

It's not that Semin would be great on our team - because he IS an upgrade over whoever we put on that second line winger.

But we can't afford him. Let's say he takes a pay cut and signs for 6M (which he won't do). Even with Luongo gone, and let's say hypothetically we don't take any salary back, we won't be able to sign both Edler and Burrows. Semin just doesn't make sense.

At this point, we are not getting anyone that'll cost us over 5M a year.

Garrison is a huge upgrade over Salo. Salo is not getting any younger. And i can't be the only one that noticed how his play degraded over the course of the season last year. Especially after his injury from Marchand's dirty hit, he wasn't the same. He was relegated to third pair minutes. Garrison will at least eat A LOT of minutes for us.

Look at our roster and how many players we have signed - then post things like why aren't we doing this or that. Right now, our roster is pretty full, even Weise is signed ONE-WAY.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Schroeder/Kesler - Kassian

Higgins - Lapierre/Schroeder - Hansen

Raymond - Malhotra/Lapierre - Weise/Malhotra

Volpatti - Ebbett - Pinizzotto

Jensen and Sweatt have outside shot of making the team as well. I think Doan may be the only guy we pursue, but as of now, our roster looks pretty much set. If guys like, Raymond, Malhotra can recover from their injuries, Kassian gets better from a good offseason, Schroeder, Pinizzotto and Weise all improve: we have a solid lineup that is just as, if not better, than last season.

Whether CDC likes it or not, I think MG has a lot of faith in our group.

Archived