The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The plan?

hotelierhockey

Guest gumballthechewy

Yes, why wouldn't I be able to wait and see? "They are a posable [sic] contender, we'll have to wait and see"--thanks for your brilliant insight. Any team in the NHL can contend obviously but it's ridiculous claiming a bottom feeding team is going to beat the Canucks "at this rate" because they added 2 good players.

Calm down, try not to fly off the handle here.

The Wild were the number one team for a while last year before they got all injured and having the team implode, adding two elite players defenitly will not hurt them.

Just curious but why do you think there is absolutely zero chance of the Wild beating the Canucks?

My girlfriend is a Canucks fan too and she likes Semin....Says he has a cool name.

Every year I have her pick a team for my hockey pool that I enter and she just goes with the players names she likes and you know what - last year she won the pool!

Maybe she is onto something here...

Gillis just forget the fact that Semin is lazy and not a good teammate and has had a point decline the last 2 years and sign him - he does have talent.

Semin on the back of a Canucks jersey could add more Canucks fans like my girlfriend and thus bring in more profits from team merchandise, tickets, etc.

If you look at it this way the risk is worth the finacial reward.

My only regret is that we still dont have Shane O'Brien - Imagine if he had Semin as his wingman at the Roxy. What fun they would have had!

Get R Done MG.

Guest gumballthechewy

Nah I don't think there's zero chance, I just find it pretty unlikely. For example, last season the Wild had the fewest goals for in the league at 177 (we had 249). Even if Parise gets the expected 30-40 goals, they're still a long ways off at winning a division. Their whole team would have to explode offensively to beat us--certainly possible but I wouldn't bet on it.

I think they have a good chance at making the playoffs, but I still think it's silly to predict they'll be beating out the Canucks for a divisional title.

My point of this thread: complacency is a killer. Cannot rest on our laurels. Our players are getting older. Kes has a surgery to recover from. Daniel had his concussion. Etc..... And we are not drafting low, like the rest of the teams. (The Oilers are going to be AMAZING some time soon.) Maybe we have some bright lioghts in the farm team, and Tanev is good. But what about all our competitors ... I dont know their players, and the ones I do know of, is because their HOT prospects. What other teams have heard of our prospects? And other teams are making adjustments - argue as you will if better or worse, but obviously they want to improve and think their moves are reasonable. Like classic business and Sun-Tsu strategy, you have to watch what others are doing, and predict their moves, and move and plan accordingly. In a competitive environment, things change, and so must we. And we still havent had a Stanley Cup winning team, so obviously we need to improve. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

My point of this thread: complacency is a killer. Cannot rest on our laurels. Our players are getting older. Kes has a surgery to recover from. Daniel had his concussion. Etc..... And we are not drafting low, like the rest of the teams. (The Oilers are going to be AMAZING some time soon.) Maybe we have some bright lioghts in the farm team, and Tanev is good. But what about all our competitors ... I dont know their players, and the ones I do know of, is because their HOT prospects. What other teams have heard of our prospects? And other teams are making adjustments - argue as you will if better or worse, but obviously they want to improve and think their moves are reasonable. Like classic business and Sun-Tsu strategy, you have to watch what others are doing, and predict their moves, and move and plan accordingly. In a competitive environment, things change, and so must we. And we still havent had a Stanley Cup winning team, so obviously we need to improve. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Minny's top six forwards > Canucks top six forwards in the absence of Kesler; with Kes back -- Wild = Canucks

Minny's bottom six forwards = Canucks bottom six

Minny's defence < Canucks defence

Minny's goaltending = Canucks goaltending (caveat: only because Backstrom has more body of work than Schneider; otherwise, based on talent Schneider > Backstrom, [34 years, missed 13 games last year to a variety of injury]...maybe I'm being a homer, but I'd take Schneider over Backstrom at this time...Harding > Lack or other back up option that isn't Luongo)

you guys can say all you want about the team improved with the addition of Garrison, but until our biggest need is filled which is a legitimate top 6 forward that can score in the playoff.. we ain't going anywhere if we play another physical defensive team in the playoff. What have we learned from previous playoffs? our team can't score even if their lives depends on it. Even with a healthy Sedin last playoff.. that'll still only give us 1 legitimate scoring line. we need balance contribution throughout the lineup and we don't have any. This year we'll be no where near the Presidents trophy, there's a really good chance we won't even win our division. With the imminent departure of Luongo. that means we'll have to play Schneider at least 60 games. and have a backup capable of 20+ games. we ain't going to have the luxury of having a Scheider backing up and win you 75% of those games. you'll be lucky if they finish .500 and i'm going to assume management ain't going to overload Schneider to the point where he'll be fatigue for the playoff.. so ya i don't see us winning the division.. and until we fill our scoring needs we ain't going anywhere in the playoff.. trading Luongo and bringing back 3rd-4th liner ain't going to help.. sure you save cap space.. but cap space is useless when there's nothig left on the ufa market to sign.

you guys can say all you want about the team improved with the addition of Garrison, but until our biggest need is filled which is a legitimate top 6 forward that can score in the playoff.. we ain't going anywhere if we play another physical defensive team in the playoff. What have we learned from previous playoffs? our team can't score even if their lives depends on it. Even with a healthy Sedin last playoff.. that'll still only give us 1 legitimate scoring line. we need balance contribution throughout the lineup and we don't have any. This year we'll be no where near the Presidents trophy, there's a really good chance we won't even win our division. With the imminent departure of Luongo. that means we'll have to play Schneider at least 60 games. and have a backup capable of 20+ games. we ain't going to have the luxury of having a Scheider backing up and win you 75% of those games. you'll be lucky if they finish .500 and i'm going to assume management ain't going to overload Schneider to the point where he'll be fatigue for the playoff.. so ya i don't see us winning the division.. and until we fill our scoring needs we ain't going anywhere in the playoff.. trading Luongo and bringing back 3rd-4th liner ain't going to help.. sure you save cap space.. but cap space is useless when there's nothig left on the ufa market to sign.

Jason Garrison is a BET, he's had one good season in the NHL. He's an undrafted 28 year-old who's played 190 NHL games.

This is a totally speculative contract, and Gillis is obviously expecting continued progress. That's a fair enough stance for him to take, but it is very risky, and I don't know how any rational fan can be anything other than skeptical when it comes to this deal.

My concern for the Canucks is our long-term vision. I'm concerned in our drafting, our pro and amateur scouts. Despite all the talk of player development, we don't seem to give players every chance of trying to make the team. In season's past when we've had injuries we've had young players get a chance and gain valuable experience. This past year, no one got even a sniff. Maybe that will change with Arniel as coach.

So do we really have a long-term plan for our players? I think it would be helpful if we owned our own AHL club. Then we can make sure our draft picks get pro experience and not having to fight to stay in the lineup with a team with too many long-term vets. It's the only lousy part of losing Winnipeg as our farm club, we had a great relationship and cooperation from them.

My concern for the Canucks is our long-term vision. I'm concerned in our drafting, our pro and amateur scouts. Despite all the talk of player development, we don't seem to give players every chance of trying to make the team. In season's past when we've had injuries we've had young players get a chance and gain valuable experience. This past year, no one got even a sniff. Maybe that will change with Arniel as coach.

So do we really have a long-term plan for our players? I think it would be helpful if we owned our own AHL club. Then we can make sure our draft picks get pro experience and not having to fight to stay in the lineup with a team with too many long-term vets. It's the only lousy part of losing Winnipeg as our farm club, we had a great relationship and cooperation from them.

This team is going nowhere unless we get a proven top 6 forward that can score, especially in the playoffs. In addition, the bottom six (especially fourth line) must improve. When I look and see what MG has done this off-season, there is a LOT of work to do. As it stands, the team has not improved. Other teams have.

A solid veteran backup that can play about 20 games is also required. That has not happened yet either. MG better not stand pat here.

Archived