The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The plan?

hotelierhockey

My concern for the Canucks is our long-term vision. I'm concerned in our drafting, our pro and amateur scouts. Despite all the talk of player development, we don't seem to give players every chance of trying to make the team. In season's past when we've had injuries we've had young players get a chance and gain valuable experience. This past year, no one got even a sniff. Maybe that will change with Arniel as coach.

So do we really have a long-term plan for our players? I think it would be helpful if we owned our own AHL club. Then we can make sure our draft picks get pro experience and not having to fight to stay in the lineup with a team with too many long-term vets. It's the only lousy part of losing Winnipeg as our farm club, we had a great relationship and cooperation from them.

To think Calgary is gong to win with their present group is wishful thinking. They'll keep pace like last season, then fall short again. I like it because I loath Calgary.

Watching Calgary during the draft this year convinced me Fiester is merely a puppet of a ownership group. The bottom line in Calgary is money and filled seats. Calgary has a full building and fans dumb enough to keep paying to see a mediocre team.

This team is going nowhere unless we get a proven top 6 forward that can score, especially in the playoffs. In addition, the bottom six (especially fourth line) must improve. When I look and see what MG has done this off-season, there is a LOT of work to do. As it stands, the team has not improved. Other teams have.

A solid veteran backup that can play about 20 games is also required. That has not happened yet either. MG better not stand pat here.

How did other teams improved? You think its that easy signing any Ufa you want?You could have thrown a boat load of cash at Suter or Parise doesn't mean they were going to sign here. Justin Schulz was another prime example. What would you like Gillis o do here?

Given the fact that market is/was lacking in a lot of quality blue liners, its fair value. Wideman is also older, smaller, not as physical, and nowhere near as responsible with puck. Wideman may have more experience, but Garrison has more upside. When the market dictates it, you have a pay a premium for players.

Wideman never even reached the open market. Calgary traded for his rights and Iginla helped them seal the deal.

Archived