The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The plan?

hotelierhockey

Garrison is more than a replacement, he's an upgrade. He was considered the 2nd best defenseman of free agency. If you don't think adding a Top 4 defenseman improves our team, then how can you say it seems like every other team is improving themselves and we're not? By your logic, the only team that improved itself is Minnesota.

Besides, it's impossible for every team to improve themself. Talent doesn't just come out of nowhere. For every team that gains a star, another team loses one. Minnesota may be better now, but Nashville and Jersey are worse.

Don't forget, we're still in on Doan. If we get Doan and get a decent return for Luongo, I will consider this offseason to be a huge success. Even if we don't get Doan and only get an OK return for Luongo, I will still be satisfied. Adding a Top 4 defenseman is an important step for the team and it's not one most teams managed to do.

Also who the hell cares when the last time we had a good Russian was?

If the Canucks don't make any significant additions between now and the start of the season, and/or if Roberto Luongo isn't traded, I think it's going to mess with the makeup of the team, and I think this year could be a disaster. The potential is there. The Sedin's showed signs of decline last year, and those could accelerate. That's really all it'd take for this team to totally fold.

As for the 3 teams knocking off Vancouver for the division title, I think MIN has the most potential to do that. Really, it all depends on what's done between now and the start of the season. As is, today, it's MIN's division to lose, IMO.

to everyone touting garrison as a great acquisition because he was the second best available free agent defenceman, how did paul martin and zbynek michalek, two guys with much more impressive resumes than garrison, work out for pittsburgh?

edit: i've started accepting that the window for this group isn't merely closing, but already closed.

to everyone touting garrison as a great acquisition because he was the second best available free agent defenceman, how did paul martin and zbynek michalek, two guys with much more impressive resumes than garrison, work out for pittsburgh?

edit: i've started accepting that the window for this group isn't merely closing, but already closed.

I think people are over rating Garrison here. I think the only real "upgrade" over Salo he is is because he may stay healthy. Salo was a stud defensively and his slapshot was insanely accurate. From the slapper's I've seen Garrison take most of them are near the bottom half of the net, which are more likely to be blocked or deflected away. So I would think of him more to be relied on defence than offence.

If you see a bunch of pretty girls at a dance, will you blow your load on the first one? Patience little man. We did make a very important upgrade in net with Cory Schneider. He can win a bunch of games then won't get pulled for Luongo anymore, its his job now. Garrison is gonna suprise you fellas, shore up that defence. All these spots you wanna fill with free agents, silly man. Whats the use of having prospects and a farm team if you don't plan on giving them a bump. We have Canaughton(i hope i spelled that right)Schroeder and Jenson. Yan Sauve is a big stay

Actually I think you are under rating him. Garrisons shot may not have been as 'accurate' but when Garrison shot the puck ended up in the back on the net far more often. Salo's shot % was only 6.5 whereas Garrisons was 9.5.

Garrison -gp 77 hit 127 (3rd) blk 124 (2nd) msS 78 gv 30 (1st) tk 20 shot % 9.5 (1st) toi 23:40 (2nd)

Salo - gp 69 hit 29 blk 77 MsS 54 gv 35 tk 33 shot % 6.6 toi 20:30

The rating I put in next to Garrisons numbers are where he would rank on the Canucks defence with his numbers from last season.

So what can we see from these numbers? We already new Garrison was more mobile, and far more physical. But he also blocks a lot of shots, is even better at protecting the puck than Salo (meaning he is very good in his own end), and he eats up ice time where he would be only 2nd to Edler on the Canucks. His shot % is also one of the highest in the league (2nd only to Kronwall, if you look at players with over 100 shots) for defencemen. Garrison and Salo took the same number of shots but Garrison had a 3% better in net percentage.

So to reiterate: He is physical, eats up ice time, is very good with the puck, and blocks a lot of shots. This says to me he is a hard working, extremely reliable defencemen, that can be used in any situation. This is all just his defensive work. This is the kind of work ethic and depenabilty we can expect outside of his offense.

His offensive work speaks for itself.

So to reiterate: He is physical, eats up ice time, is very good with the puck, and blocks a lot of shots. This says to me he is a hard working, extremely reliable defencemen, that can be used in any situation. This is all just his defensive work. This is the kind of work ethic and depenabilty we can expect outside of his offense.

His offensive work speaks for itself.

gillis also knows that if the garrison contract turns into a mess, he won't have to be the one there to clean it up. despite his contract extension, you have to think aquilini is getting impatient.

Guest gumballthechewy

Wow, so adding 2 players is going to make a bottom feeding team like the Wild instantly beat an elite team like the Canucks for the division and get top 3 in the West? I didn't know they signed Wayne Gretzky and Paul Coffey.

Archived