159 replies to this topic

#61 brownky

brownky

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:56 PM

Good deal for the Canes. Providing he stays injury free, look for him to rebound in a big way and hit that 100 point mark this year. He'll get some real PP time and won't be stuck behind the shadow of Ovi.

Rutherford just made his team a lot better without giving anything up.

#62 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,575 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:58 PM

He got Parise and Suter wrong and suddenly that means he gets most things wrong? Even then I could care less, at least he actually posts a ton of rumours to keep things interesting when most of the time he's right. Dreger and the other insiders just post signings when they happen or like 20 minutes before.

He's reported breaking Luongo news several times with no results.
He's also said several times (going back weeks) that Doan was going to sign soon.

I don't follow the guy, but I've seen enough stuff just on this site to know he isn't reliable.
Posted Image

#63 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,321 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:59 PM

Solid signing for the Hurricanes. They paid a premium so they only had to go 1 year in term, low risk and high reward.

Top-6 is solidified.

Semin - E.Staal - Skinner

Jokinen - J.Staal - Ruutu

Nice.

Subbancopy.jpg

#64 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,575 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:00 PM

Rumours are rumours, rumours don't always happen.

Fair enough.
Except when he ends his tweets with phrases like #confirmed and always tosses around the term "breaking news", you would expect it would be more than a rumour.
He swears by things that never come into fruition quite often.
Posted Image

#65 JustJokinen!

JustJokinen!

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,099 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:02 PM

POPULAR

He got Parise and Suter wrong and suddenly that means he gets most things wrong? Even then I could care less, at least he actually posts a ton of rumours to keep things interesting when most of the time he's right. Dreger and the other insiders just post signings when they happen or like 20 minutes before. The odd rumour here and then. No disrespect to them, just my opinion.

Rumours are rumours, rumours don't always happen.

This

Do realize how easy it is to be a fraudulent rumour reporter?
  • Make up rumour
  • If rumour turns out to be correct, constantly remind everyone of correct rumour
  • If rumour turns out to be wrong, "deal was rejected"
  • ???
  • Move out of parent's basement.

#66 TheCammer

TheCammer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:04 PM

I don't think it's a great signing at all. The guy is lazy and soft. Bad enough that some ex-teammates were willing to publicly throw him under the bus. Change may do Semin good but it also has the potential to derail the Canes room.
Posted Image

#67 TotesMagotes

TotesMagotes

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:07 PM

One thing is for sure. That 1 year deal is going to make him work his ass off all year to get a fancy new raise next season.
Posted Image

#68 JordanEberle

JordanEberle

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:08 PM

Do realize how easy it is to be a fraudulent rumour reporter?

• Make up rumour
  • If rumour turns out to be correct, constantly remind everyone of correct rumour
  • If rumour turns out to be wrong, "deal was rejected"
  • ???
  • Move out of parent's basement.

Move into parents basement **
Posted Image
Credit: Garrett-6

#69 Knobsmith

Knobsmith

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:11 PM

Not a big Semin fan and at that price, I would have found Semin hard to swallow.
:shock:

#70 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,321 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:13 PM

Wow just realized...

They have Gragnani on the powerplay. They are going to DESTROY teams.

Subbancopy.jpg

#71 Sanj

Sanj

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:16 PM

Thought he would of been a devil. Good for Carolina

HockeyyInsiderr is starting to sound legit guys

Aaron Ward and dreger were both making fun of Hockeyyinsiderr for his report of Canes making an offer...now look...

#72 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:16 PM

He's reported breaking Luongo news several times with no results.
He's also said several times (going back weeks) that Doan was going to sign soon.

I don't follow the guy, but I've seen enough stuff just on this site to know he isn't reliable.

To be fair, Doan has been changing and extending his deadlines. So, even if the insider had a beat on where he was going to sign, Doan blew it up on his own. Not much anyone can do about that. Rumours are rumours, and they don't always pan out because of last second changes or alterations.

Edited by Sharpshooter, 26 July 2012 - 01:19 PM.

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#73 Langdon Algur

Langdon Algur

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,457 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:17 PM

Not a huge fan of Semin but given the insane contracts handed out in the past few years, at a one year term this was a great signing by the Canes.

The Canes look like they are trying to build a contender.
"What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on?" ~ Henry David Thoreau

CDC's 2014 draft preferences vs. Canucks actual picks
http://forum.canucks...g-2014-edition/

#74 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:19 PM

I don't think it's a great signing at all. The guy is lazy and soft. Bad enough that some ex-teammates were willing to publicly throw him under the bus. Change may do Semin good but it also has the potential to derail the Canes room.

Or the one year deal and change of location could potentially motivate him to a more focused and productive game, and make it a very good signing.

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#75 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,533 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:21 PM

Glad the Canucks didn't waste our precious cap space on him, too much of a risk for us. He's not exactly a heart and soul player. For a team like Carolina with more room to play with, they can afford to take a risk on him. 7 mil is too much money though, but at least it's only 1 year. This way if he doesn't work out they can easily get rid of him next year. So for now it's only a taste of Semin for Carolina (sorry just had to).

#76 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,512 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:22 PM

POPULAR

Thought he would of been a devil. Good for Carolina

HockeyyInsiderr is starting to sound legit guys

Seriously, give it up. He's been so far off base on some things, he's not breaking news, he's posting rumours to make himself look good. As Aaron Ward said after HI's first tweet:

@aaronward_nhl: Ya,Rutherford said on radio Friday #broken "@HockeyyInsiderr: BREAKING NEWS Semin/agent carefully considering offer on table from #CANES."

People were trying to say he broke the Fistric deal too, but a beat writer in Dallas had it up before him and he just put the info in his own tweet.

EDIT: Just to add the others talking up @HockeyyInsiderr and show how simple it is:

Hockeyinsiderr was on this.

Hockeyy Insiderr@HockeyyInsiderr
Onto some Alex Semin news:as previous reports indicate the#Canes are interested in him. Actual offer on the table as we speak = 1year/$6.5M

BREAKING NEWS: Semin and his agent carefully considering offer on the table from #CANES. Carolina front runners as per my source (1yr offer)

Those about to say that's not the right amount... ya no kidding, this was also posted 5 days ago, and things change. Props to him on this one.

BREAKING NEWS: Semin and his agent carefully considering offer on the table from #CANES. Carolina front runners as per my source (1yr offer)

HockeyyInsiderr got this one. But wait, this just came out of his ass right? Haters gon hate.

Aaron Ward and dreger were both making fun of Hockeyyinsiderr for his report of Canes making an offer...now look...

They were making fun of him because he was just repackaging info from another actual source:

Chip Alexander @ice_chip
Rutherford says Canes still looking to add a top-6 forward. Says still interested in one-year deal with Semin.

Rutherford has had several discussions in past week with Semin's agent.

Both from the 20th, one day before HI's first tweet. Alexander covers the Carolina Hurricanes for the Raleigh News & Observer as a reporter, so all HI did was take the news from him after Rutherford's comments and guessed Semin would make less than his last contract.

It'd be one thing if he was giving credit or retweeting other people's info exactly, but he's re-writing it to make it sound like it's coming from his sources and no one else knows yet. Anyone can be a "Hockeyy Insiderr" in that case, just head to CapGeek.com's Twitter ranking page and follow all the beat reporters for each city, and you can make it sound like you have an inside scoop as well.

---------------------------------

Back on topic, It's more money than I'd pay, even on a team with room that needed scoring. It gets Carolina $3M above the floor, but not sure if they needed to clear it by that much when they're only at 21 roster players - three of which are goalies.

Edited by elvis15, 26 July 2012 - 01:49 PM.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#77 tequila

tequila

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:24 PM

And here goes our final chance to get a Sniper... a type of player that is unknown to Canucks since Naslund & Bure... :unsure:

Posted Image
tequila

#78 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,384 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:24 PM

One thing is for sure. That 1 year deal is going to make him work his ass off all year to get a fancy new raise next season.

His last one year deal certainly didn't have this effect.

OMG we could've had McKeown!

I think Virtanen was a terrible pick given that he's out for 6 months which will hinder his development. You don't pick someone at #6 under that circumstance, along with the fact that he was given a 3/5 IQ (aka he's dumb). 

God dammit Benning. WHY VIRTANEN? Terrible move.

Down by the River - Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young.

#79 suolucidir

suolucidir

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:25 PM

Wow just realized...

They have Gragnani on the powerplay. They are going to DESTROY teams.

Is that sarcasm?

Powerplay was the only thing he did decently, and decent was as good as we saw.

Or the one year deal and change of location could potentially motivate him to a more focused and productive game, and make it a very good signing.

Yeah and it's 1 year. There's no long term risk. They had some space to burn and even if he doesn't earn the 7m he'll help their team. They should be able to take their division. Maybe this spurs their divisional rivals to make a move, eh? Hint hint, wink wink.
PSN: CloakOfSkill

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists somewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

View Postbahkwan, on 03 December 2010 - 12:55 PM, said:

It bugs me when people pull out the gold medal for an example... Luongo only had to outplay Brodeur.

#80 Haikara

Haikara

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:28 PM

ridiculous contract amount. hope he learns how to turn off his invisibility cloak.
Posted Image

#81 CHIPS

CHIPS

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,787 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:30 PM

And here goes our final chance to get a Sniper... a type of player that is unknown to Canucks since Naslund & Bure... :unsure:

I rather grab Zherdev than Semin. At least Zherdev hits a bit instead of drumming.

CanucksvsBruinsPollsmall-1.jpgRogerNeilsonSmall.jpgSig too big. 

#82 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:33 PM

I agree. With that contract it makes Semin tough to swallow.
Posted Image

#83 JLumme

JLumme

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,106 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:36 PM

excellent signing. And for those saying 7 mil is too much, I disagree. 7 mil for a few years is too much, but not for a one year contract.

#84 JustJokinen!

JustJokinen!

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,099 posts

I agree. With that contract it makes Semin tough to swallow.

*pukes on keyboard*

#85 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

This is a great signing for CAR. Regardless of what ppl here say Semin is an awesome talent. If any one did the research and compared Semin's career stats to Parise's they would know they are almost identical players with Semin ranking above Parise. I'm not just talking about goals, assists and points. I'm talking about what the 2 players contribute to their teams with or without the puck when they are on the ice. Reputations make or break people and such is the case in this situation.

I'd rather have Semin at $7 mill than signing Parise to that ridiculous $98 million contract.

Here's a link to a great article posted by Edler's mind Tricks. Read the article before flaming.

http://forum.canucks...ent +10% +semin

#86 TheCammer

TheCammer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:45 PM

Not a big Semin fan and at that price, I would have found Semin hard to swallow.
:shock:

I see what you did there.
Posted Image

#87 The Lock

The Lock

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:59 PM

This is a great signing for CAR. Regardless of what ppl here say Semin is an awesome talent. If any one did the research and compared Semin's career stats to Parise's they would know they are almost identical players with Semin ranking above Parise. I'm not just talking about goals, assists and points. I'm talking about what the 2 players contribute to their teams with or without the puck when they are on the ice. Reputations make or break people and such is the case in this situation.

I'd rather have Semin at $7 mill than signing Parise to that ridiculous $98 million contract.

Here's a link to a great article posted by Edler's mind Tricks. Read the article before flaming.

http://forum.canucks...ent +10% +semin

While I agree that Semin for 7mil would be better than the long term contract with Parise (and I'm not a fan of long contracts), I would still take Parise if both contracts were identical. Semin is still a question mark in terms of consistency and work ethic. Parise earned his spot through work ethic and is still young, so is more likely to get better with that work ethic.

The article you linked is in depth, but it's still an opinion. Sometimes the phrase "If you hear something from 1 person take is with a gran of salt. If you hear something from 10 people, consider it further." actually applies. I think this is one of those situations.
This thread was really just a figment of your imagination...

#88 cdubuya

cdubuya

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 02:10 PM

I'd have done this deal in a heartbeat.

Ballards worth 4.2 mill as a 6th dman but Semin isn't worth 7 mill short term to give our 2nd line a desperately needed 3rd scoring threat who can put up 40 with good linemates.

Edited by cdubuya, 26 July 2012 - 02:14 PM.

Posted Image

#89 Kazmanian Devil

Kazmanian Devil

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,382 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 02:10 PM

Do you guys honestly feel the need to debate if HockeyyInsiderr is a valid source? Why in the hell do you need to know about a signing before a major source reports it?

xuKmoNn.png

#90 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,727 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 02:21 PM

Carolina could be a dark horse in the East this season.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.