The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Hurricanes sign Alex Semin

This is a great signing for CAR. Regardless of what ppl here say Semin is an awesome talent. If any one did the research and compared Semin's career stats to Parise's they would know they are almost identical players with Semin ranking above Parise. I'm not just talking about goals, assists and points. I'm talking about what the 2 players contribute to their teams with or without the puck when they are on the ice. Reputations make or break people and such is the case in this situation.

I'd rather have Semin at $7 mill than signing Parise to that ridiculous $98 million contract.

Here's a link to a great article posted by Edler's mind Tricks. Read the article before flaming.

/topic/332986-semin-and-the-10/page__hl__%2Bten+%2Bpercent+%2B10%25+%2Bsemin">http://forum.canucks.com/topic/332986-semin-and-the-10/page__hl__%2Bten+%2Bpercent+%2B10%25+%2Bsemin

This is a great signing for CAR. Regardless of what ppl here say Semin is an awesome talent. If any one did the research and compared Semin's career stats to Parise's they would know they are almost identical players with Semin ranking above Parise. I'm not just talking about goals, assists and points. I'm talking about what the 2 players contribute to their teams with or without the puck when they are on the ice. Reputations make or break people and such is the case in this situation.

I'd rather have Semin at $7 mill than signing Parise to that ridiculous $98 million contract.

Here's a link to a great article posted by Edler's mind Tricks. Read the article before flaming.

/topic/332986-semin-and-the-10/page__hl__%2Bten+%2Bpercent+%2B10%25+%2Bsemin">http://forum.canucks...ent +10% +semin

I'd have done this deal in a heartbeat.

Ballards worth 4.2 mill as a 6th dman but Semin isn't worth 7 mill short term to give our 2nd line a desperately needed 3rd scoring threat who can put up 40 with good linemates.

Seriously, give it up. He's been so far off base on some things, he's not breaking news, he's posting rumours to make himself look good. As Aaron Ward said after HI's first tweet:

People were trying to say he broke the Fistric deal too, /topic/333507-signing-stars-re-sign-mark-fistric/page__view__findpost__p__10799760">but a beat writer in Dallas had it up before him and he just put the info in his own tweet.

EDIT: Just to add the others talking up @HockeyyInsiderr and show how simple it is:

They were making fun of him because he was just repackaging info from another actual source:

Both from the 20th, one day before HI's first tweet. Alexander covers the Carolina Hurricanes for the Raleigh News & Observer as a reporter, so all HI did was take the news from him after Rutherford's comments and guessed Semin would make less than his last contract.

It'd be one thing if he was giving credit or retweeting other people's info exactly, but he's re-writing it to make it sound like it's coming from his sources and no one else knows yet. Anyone can be a "Hockeyy Insiderr" in that case, just head to CapGeek.com's Twitter ranking page and follow all the beat reporters for each city, and you can make it sound like you have an inside scoop as well.

---------------------------------

Back on topic, It's more money than I'd pay, even on a team with room that needed scoring. It gets Carolina $3M above the floor, but not sure if they needed to clear it by that much when they're only at 21 roster players - three of which are goalies.

I can honestly say this took me by surprise.

Why would Carolina waste so much money on a lazy player? His numbers aren't even good lol. I wouldn't pay the guy 4m a year. Not after the last two seasons anyways. If this signing happened 2 years ago it mighta made sense....

I guess Carolina might be decent now though if Jordan and Alex work out...

Semin scored more goals vs. the Canes than any other team.

The significance to Washington is a bit underrated. (Along with Semin) It's like us letting D. Sedin go to Edmonton or Calgary.

Carolina would be close, if not the top team that represented the best opportunity for him to succeed. But will he? (Esp. since he's now on the team that he scored the most goals against? I don't picture him lighting up the Caps at near the same frequency. In fact i picture OV running him over. lol)

yes he's obviously overpaid at 7 mill but you have to take into account that its only for one year and it could be a brilliant move or a bust and we'll see next year. And also you guys have to keep in mind that Carolina has a lot of cap space to spent. And they needed to reach the cap floor. So it doesn't matter if they overpaid, especially for one year. Its a steal for the Hurricanes. If he can get back to the way he plays, he can easily get 30+ goals and be a PPG player, especially if he has a center like Eric Staal to feed him. crap now that a think about it Carolina has a lot of good forwards....Staal brothers, Skinner, Jokinen, Ruutu, and now Semin. Awesome top 6. They got Ward as goalie and they have decent D. Maybe they need to get another D.

Archived