The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Hurricanes sign Alex Semin

I'd have done this deal in a heartbeat.

Ballards worth 4.2 mill as a 6th dman but Semin isn't worth 7 mill short term to give our 2nd line a desperately needed 3rd scoring threat who can put up 40 with good linemates.

Alex Se7in is talented without a doubt, if he gets paired up with gritty, unselfish line mates he could find himself pretty open and able to unleash that snipe shot of his.

E. Staal, J. Staal, J. Skinner, T. Ruutu, J. Jokinen, now Semin-- that is one balanced group up front already.

Smart move by Rutherford, I believe the Canes will be the top team in the SE division now, they are making some great moves.

If Semin pans out in that system, this team will be tough all year, if he doesn't, they will still be a solid team.

I love how all of you say that Semin isn't worth 7 million, but then as soon as he signs in Carolina, all of you jump the gun and say they're really dangerous with Semin. I think a player who can transform a bubble team into a dangerous playoff team is worth 7 million.

You know im tired of this "too much money talk" WHO ELSE IS THERE?!?! bottom line is you have to win....its not your money they are spending and they have cap space....this attitude is going to put us out of the playoffs...who cares how much....sign someone who can help the team win and dont gripe so much. Im genuinly concerned about our upcomming season. Are you going to say no to Doan if hes a million more per year than you think is personally acceptable? Are you going to be ok when we don't make the play offs and have a couple extra milion of cap space? UGH!!!!!!!!!!

While I agree that Semin for 7mil would be better than the long term contract with Parise (and I'm not a fan of long contracts), I would still take Parise if both contracts were identical. Semin is still a question mark in terms of consistency and work ethic. Parise earned his spot through work ethic and is still young, so is more likely to get better with that work ethic.

The article you linked is in depth, but it's still an opinion. Sometimes the phrase "If you hear something from 1 person take is with a gran of salt. If you hear something from 10 people, consider it further." actually applies. I think this is one of those situations.

Archived