Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Signing] Hurricanes sign Alex Semin

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
159 replies to this topic

#151 cdubuya

cdubuya

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:40 PM

The thing is, Ballard isn't worth 4.2 M as a 6th D man. If we were paying all our depth players that much money the Canucks would be a crap team. Why would you use one bad cap hit to justify another? I'd much rather Mike Gillis spend that money on Shane Doan.

you'd rather Gillis spend upwards of 7.5 mill for 4 seasons on a soon to be 36 year old (if that GaM report is true) over spending 7 mill 1 yea for Semin? Maybe Semin wouldn't have played here for 1 year 7 mill, I don't know, but I'd have gone more if thats all it took.

Semin has scored some clutch playoff goals for Washington. Him on a line with Booth and Kesler would have scoring threat written all over it.
Posted Image

#152 TotesMagotes

TotesMagotes

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 06:37 AM

you'd rather Gillis spend upwards of 7.5 mill for 4 seasons on a soon to be 36 year old (if that GaM report is true) over spending 7 mill 1 yea for Semin? Maybe Semin wouldn't have played here for 1 year 7 mill, I don't know, but I'd have gone more if thats all it took.

Semin has scored some clutch playoff goals for Washington. Him on a line with Booth and Kesler would have scoring threat written all over it.

Let's be honest, Shane Doan is not going to be getting a 4 year 30 M contract, that may be his asking price at first but that number will come significantly down as he narrows his teams down.
Posted Image

#153 Jester@wraiths.ca

Jester@wraiths.ca

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,226 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 11:26 AM

Let's be honest, Shane Doan is not going to be getting a 4 year 30 M contract, that may be his asking price at first but that number will come significantly down as he narrows his teams down.

I don't think you have a clear understanding of the marketplace for a guy who puts up the points he does, is big and physical, and has solid leadership qualities. The cupboard is bare when it comes to good free agent forwards and there are numerous teams interested. I think he'll get offers in the range he wants, but he may choose a place he prefers most, even if they aren't the biggest offer, but that wouldn't mean he didn't get an offer for the dollars that have been mentioned.

#154 Zoolander

Zoolander

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,196 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 11:35 AM

I'd put money on it @HockeyyInsiderr is a kid. Maybe not even in Highschool yet. I've never heard of a full-grown adult whine about who had the info first the way he does.
My 2014 Draft wishlist: 1st rd: Draisaitl, Virtanen, Scherbak. 2nd rd: Brendan Lemieux, Thatcher Demko (Goalie)
Posted Image
Future Canucks top 6:
Shinkaruk-Draisaitl-Scherbak
Virtanen-Horvat-Jensen

#155 TotesMagotes

TotesMagotes

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 12:55 PM

I don't think you have a clear understanding of the marketplace for a guy who puts up the points he does, is big and physical, and has solid leadership qualities. The cupboard is bare when it comes to good free agent forwards and there are numerous teams interested. I think he'll get offers in the range he wants, but he may choose a place he prefers most, even if they aren't the biggest offer, but that wouldn't mean he didn't get an offer for the dollars that have been mentioned.

I absolutely think he will get offered and has already been offered that amount, But i really do believe he would rather go to a team that can win rather than say, the islanders. I said that will be his asking price, but it will come down when he realizes most of the good teams won't be able to afford that amount. But yes i have no doubt he will get offered 30M over 4 years, but i get the feeling Doan wants to win too.
Posted Image

#156 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,008 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 03:46 PM

Damn, that's the signing we should have made. One year contract, very low risk.

I think people will finally get their heads out of their asses after this season when they realize how good he is. Then all the idots that question his drive will be exposed. I chalk a lot of that perception up to playing in Washington, that team can make anyone look questionable. He'll probably score 40 again, doesn't matter which Stall he plays with.

Are you calling Pierre McGuire an idiot...wait....never mind.

#157 vcr1970

vcr1970

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 09:41 PM

for all those making fun of the $ involved, answer me this, what was a better signing:

Semin @ 1 year for 7 million, or
Sundin @ 1 year for 10 million years ago when the cap was smaller????

many people have short, short memories.

#158 vcr1970

vcr1970

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 11:22 PM

I just read a thread about the Shea Weber potential offer of $13 million for one season!!!! And tell me why the Semin deal at $7,000,000 is bad?

come on Canuck fans take off the rose tinted glasses and call a spade a spade.

I don't blame MG for what he's doing. He knows he's close and is willing to take a shot, but he's close thanks to Nonis and Burke and their good dragting and signings.

#159 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,630 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 02:08 PM

for all those making fun of the $ involved, answer me this, what was a better signing:

Semin @ 1 year for 7 million, or
Sundin @ 1 year for 10 million years ago when the cap was smaller????

many people have short, short memories.

What I remember is that the Canucks had a ton of Cap space back then.

It's not so much where the Cap ceiling is, it's how far below it that you are at the time....
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#160 rkoshack

rkoshack

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 05:07 PM

Top line of Staal-Staal-Semin is gonna be dangerous

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.