The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tim Thomas comes out against gay marriage

Good for him. He is standing up for what he believes in and, though you may not agree with him, you have to respect his right to have his opinion. I do not know why a fast-food restaurant needs to have a policy about what they consider marriage to be, but the media scrutiny and criticism they have received from Boston City Hall is undesired. Likewise, it would be unfair for a restaurant to come out in support of same-sex marriage and have their ability to operate in a district revoked because they have a liberal view on the issue.

"He is a shallow critic who cannot see an eternal rebel in the heart of a conservative." - G.K. Chesterton

Good for him. He is standing up for what he believes in and, though you may not agree with him, you have to respect his right to have his opinion. I do not know why a fast-food restaurant needs to have a policy about what they consider marriage to be, but the media scrutiny and criticism they have received from Boston City Hall is undesired. Likewise, it would be unfair for a restaurant to come out in support of same-sex marriage and have their ability to operate in a district revoked because they have a liberal view on the issue.

"He is a shallow critic who cannot see an eternal rebel in the heart of a conservative." - G.K. Chesterton

He has a right to say and believe whatever he wants (just like anyone has the right to disagree with him). But I saw a funny tweet a while ago which I think applies now: "Who would think that a year after the 2011 Stanley Cup Finals, Roberto Luongo would be considered the sane goalie from that series?". Not that I actually think Luongo was ever crazy, just found it funny.

He has a right to say and believe whatever he wants (just like anyone has the right to disagree with him). But I saw a funny tweet a while ago which I think applies now: "Who would think that a year after the 2011 Stanley Cup Finals, Roberto Luongo would be considered the sane goalie from that series?". Not that I actually think Luongo was ever crazy, just found it funny.

Here's how it sounds like:

Tim Thomas: I, like millions of other Americans in this glorious, free country of ours, stand with Chick-Fil-A in holding to their belief that marriage is between one man and one woman.

Thomas' Detractors: Bigot! Hatemonger! Homophobe! Bigot!

What's the definition of discrimination?

1. discrimination - unfair treatment of a person or group on the basis of prejudice

Now, if someone refers to Thomas as a bigot or a hatemonger or a homophobe, they are discriminating against his beliefs because their own prejudice tells them that their liberal, egalitarianism is right and tradition is wrong. Besides that, Thomas has not really said his own opinion of the matter, save that he sides with the Cathy family. Neither you nor I know his own personal reasons for disagreeing with same-sex marriage.

Yes, truth is objective and exists outside of whatever subjective beliefs we have.

Absolutely! But of course, homosexuality and racism are TWO TOTALITY DIFFERENT THINGS!!!

Of course it should. But it's a bewildering statement to make in light of what we are talking about. :huh:

Here, let BadCatholic explain:

http://www.patheos.c...catholic/page/6

Archived