197 replies to this topic

#61 Wilbur

Wilbur

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:00 PM

Are we surprised he's against gay-marriage?

Fortunately we live in the 21st century and it's just the opinion of a professional athlete.

#62 Canada Hockey Place

Canada Hockey Place

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,546 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:02 PM

Maybe he really, really like chicken sandwiches? ^_^

In-n-Out puts bible references on their packaging. That's not going to stop me from eating there.

I know I care more about a tasty burger than whether two people I've never met can get married or not.

People should speak their mind. That way you know where they stand. Repressed hatred is worst kind of hatred.
Quando omni flunkus moritati

#63 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,357 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:03 PM

So we're turning this from Tim Thomas into yet again another Bible-basing thread?

Classy CDC. Never change.

Only when guys like you try to justify that a**holes "opinions" .. freedom of speech means everyone else is free to treat Timmy like a turd .. see how that works?? .. or did Mark, Luke and John not cover that in any of their testaments ??

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#64 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,357 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:05 PM

I think we already knew that he thought this, based on his Tea Party allegiance from earlier.

The guy plays hockey, let him play hockey. I bet you Hamhuis and Booth think the EXACT same way.

He has chosen to express himself outside hockey, so let him bear the "fruits" of his labors .. Dan Hamhuis keeps his beliefs to himself .. Timmy the Turd is so full of his own rhetoric it makes some folks retch ..

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#65 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,803 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:14 PM

That moustache makes him look gay...

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#66 Hobble

Hobble

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,630 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:16 PM

*Any Supernatural fans?!?*

Posted Image

Edited by Hobble, 26 July 2012 - 05:17 PM.

#67 Newsflash

Newsflash

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:16 PM

POPULAR

If he came out against interracial marriage, I wonder if people would still be licking his ass and saying good for him.

Homophobia is this generation's racism.

Edited by Newsflash, 26 July 2012 - 05:17 PM.

Buddy I called this EXACT situtation on here two years ago and was flamed, so I guess I have a bit of hockey knowledge, not to mention the 4 years I played in the OHL idiot.

The conspiracy theories that used to be against Lateralus:
Puberty, life, movie theaters, movie theaters that frown upon you pulling it out, movie theaters that frown upon you pulling it out during a children's movie, Toy Story 3, Pixar, who ever decided to make Woody so damn attractive, a job, his mothers basement, being 40, being 40 five years ago, dogs who can out run him, all dogs, the Olympic committee, Truth, Fact, Honesty, Logic, Newsflash, a father figure who was there to see him learn to ride his first bike, bikes,

#68 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,087 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:33 PM

Probably believes in god and the world being only 6000 years old.
Posted Image

#69 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:33 PM

He reminds me of microwave popcorn that was set on defrost.
I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#70 The Brahma Bull

The Brahma Bull

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:35 PM

Great goalie, but dumb as a brick.

#71 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,828 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:46 PM

Probably the most disturbing thing I have ever seen.
Thanks a lot.

come over to australia mate , this is how a lot of us look over here .

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

tony-abbott-and-stephen-harper-custom-da

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons that history has to teach.

Aldous Huxley.

#72 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:50 PM

Good for him. Sticking up for what he believes in

good for him , being an embarrassing joke that wants attention but not to play another season in boston
Posted Image

#73 Taelin

Taelin

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:10 PM

How does having a mutation equate to being a lesser person?!? Does having green eyes make you less of a human than people with brown or blue eyes?!? Or how about the fact people with imperfect vision? Short stature? How about those that can't digest lactose? Those with allergies? Its this kind of ignorance that was the driving force between racism.

It is true that homosexuality is an evolutionary "dead-end", so to speak, however it could also be a natural way to equalize population levels in overpopulated areas. I have no basis for that theory, just throwing it out there as it would solve that problem.

I think brown eyes are the most dominant gene, actually. Does that mean everyone else is a "lesser" human? :picard: (for the original poster, not you)

#74 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,672 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:12 PM

Only when guys like you try to justify that a**holes "opinions" .. freedom of speech means everyone else is free to treat Timmy like a turd .. see how that works?? .. or did Mark, Luke and John not cover that in any of their testaments ??

Who said I was justifying it? I'm pointing out how some people think their opinion matters above TT's and how TT should shut it while blasting their opinion over new media, and then pointing out how a thread once again got turned off-topic.

What...that's not the case? It's only page 4 and there's hardly any talk of TT anymore.

The stupidity and immaturity of CDC to stay on topic is simply astounding...it's like this place needs ritalin and fast.

Edit: treat the btard TT like a turd...I don't mind; I shouldn't be, and I am not offended that you feel a certain way towards a non-Canuck player. Once again, my problem is with certain posters who feel they have the right to take a thread off-topic and engage in discussion not central to the OP.

Edited by Common sense, 26 July 2012 - 06:21 PM.

#75 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,672 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:22 PM

Now...how do I know this has truly gone offtopic?

We went from talking about the lunacy of TT to the nature-or-nurture argument of "gayness" - whether one is born gay or not.

#76 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 31,520 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:25 PM

The thing about relationships, sexual or not, is that they transcend religion.

Gay and non-gays are going to continue being together, with or without Tim Thomas', Boston's, or Chick-Fil-A's approval.

As for gay marriage, well, like abortion, it's here to stay.

Meh. I could care less.
Posted Image

#77 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,828 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:28 PM

The thing about relationships, sexual or not, is that they transcend religion.

Gay and non-gays are going to continue being together, with or without Tim Thomas', Boston's, or Chick-Fil-A's approval.

As for gay marriage, well, like abortion, it's here to stay.

Meh. I could care less.

you should care less , like pablo neruda said , "they came for the blacks and i did not say a thing , they came for the jews and i did not say a thing , funny when they came for me there was nobody left to say a thing".

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons that history has to teach.

Aldous Huxley.

#78 G.K. Chesterton

G.K. Chesterton

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,037 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:28 PM

I'm sorry did I call Tim Thomas a bigot? Did I say he was hate mongering? No all I am saying is yes he is allowed to speak his opinion but it should be challenged. That is all.

The examples I used were to show that there was a common way of thinking that changed once challenged. I think we agree on the Earth example at least.

Homosexuality and Racism are two completely different things I agree. The discrimination of someone who is Homosexual and the discrimination of someone due to their race are not.

As for my last example all it was pertaining to in this was to show the absolute end of the spectrum. A statement which if made must be challenged. I am not saying it has to do what Tim Thomas in any way other than to show that Opinions and Beliefs need to be challenged and scrutinized if they are not based in truth.

Anything else you may be getting uppity about was completely fabricated in your own mind as to what you thought I meant and you failed to grasp why I was writing what I wrote.

1) I did not personally accuse you of anything except for not knowing Thomas' motives. I don't know them either. I was referring generally to the response Thomas' statement has generated from his critics. I am sorry if you misunderstood.

2) The discrimination of a homosexual and the discrimination of, say, a black man, are two completely different things. The hatred expressed against both might be the same, but racism and (perceived) homophobia are different. Because there is absolutely no evidence of a gay gene there is no way of knowing whether or not somebody is homosexual unless they self identify. On the other hand, if you see a black man, it is obvious that he is black because his skin colour is apparent and scientists have discovered the skin-colour gene.
“Reason is itself a matter of faith. It is an act of faith to assert that our thoughts have any relation to reality at all.” - G.K. Chesterton

“Unbelief is as much of a choice as belief is. What makes it in many ways more appealing is that whereas to believe in something requires some measure of understanding and effort, not to believe doesn't require much of anything at all.” - Frederick Buechner

“All human nature vigorously resists grace because grace changes us and the change is painful.” - Flannery O'Connor

“My argument against God was that the universe seemed so cruel and unjust. But how had I got this idea of just and unjust? A man does not call a line crooked unless he has some idea of a straight line. What was I comparing this universe with when I called it unjust?” - C.S. Lewis

#79 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:55 PM

I have never seen any evidence there is a 'gay gene' nor is there a 'straight gene' .

All I know is I cannot control my urges for females. No matter how hard i try , the urges still pop into my head. I dont believe for a minute I 'psyched' myself into it. I have been this way since I was 13

I cannot for the life of me understand WHY women get so hot over men. But I thank GOD they do.

So when gay people say they get urges for the same sex, I dont get it either but I take them at their word. They believe they also have always had the urges just like I have for women.

I have no reason to doubt them.
Posted Image

#80 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 31,520 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:04 PM

you should care less , like pablo neruda said , "they came for the blacks and i did not say a thing , they came for the jews and i did not say a thing , funny when they came for me there was nobody left to say a thing".

Tim Thomas is hardly Nazi Germany, but you misread what i was saying. I could care less about the relations people have. That's their business. I wish more people and their governments would also care less about business that isn't theirs.
Posted Image

#81 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,828 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:12 PM

Tim Thomas is hardly Nazi Germany, but you misread what i was saying. I could care less about the relations people have. That's their business. I wish more people and their governments would also care less about business that isn't theirs.

It was not nazi germany it was franco's spain , and the idea holds up to this day , you must speak out when minorities are persectued .
and when you are not affording a group of people the same rights as the rest of the community due to their sexual orientation , then i call that persecution .

Marjane Satrapi

Aldous Huxley.

#82 Remy

Remy

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:17 PM

He pays his taxes just like everyone else and therefor is right to express his opinion freely, as are you and everyone here.

Honestly, this is just stupid. The other comments that are in line with this, are also stupid. THINK for a second before you comment.

If Thomas came out and said "I don't like black people, the Bible is my reason." would you still support his "freedom of speech"?

Just because he CAN say whatever the hell he wants, does NOT mean I should be happy about him doing so, and that's the part that you and several others have missed. It is not at all unreasonable that many feel he should have refrained from making such comments. You can't just spout crap whenever you want and expect to come out unscathed.

Saying "it's his right to say what he wants" completely side-steps the issue of WHAT he said. It's really not as simple as that.

Edited by Remy, 26 July 2012 - 07:19 PM.

#83 SN -Admin

SN -Admin

The Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:18 PM

I was expecting Godwin well before page 3. Well done folks.

#84 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:30 PM

Just run of the mill asshatery this time bud. :picard:

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#85 nuckin_futz

nuckin_futz

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,206 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:50 PM

While I disagree with what he said. The guy has the right to speak his mind.

The only problem I have with him is when he says things like this he knows there's going to be brush back and he hides and refuses to back it up.

When there's ten reporters in front of you asking about the specific comments you made and you direct them to your Facebook page that's just plain weak.

#86 Raiun

Raiun

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:50 PM

POPULAR

I have to say, all of the people saying "Shut up, he has a right to his opinion" are hilarious. Everyone in this thread has a right to their opinion too, so quit telling them not to voice it.

It's no big surprise that Tim Thomas is against gay marriage, but it doesn't bother me, there are plenty of homophobic people out there that I'm free to ignore. He only hurts anyone who is close to him that might be gay. Any friends in the closet, any relatives, any former classmates or teammates or coaches or .. and so on so forth. Those people are going to look at this kind of statement and they are going to be hurt, and he won't even know or probably care or even think about it.

#87 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 31,520 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:25 PM

It was not nazi germany it was franco's spain , and the idea holds up to this day , you must speak out when minorities are persectued .
and when you are not affording a group of people the same rights as the rest of the community due to their sexual orientation , then i call that persecution .

Save the sermon for those who need saving. I'm a Chick-Fil-Atheist.
Posted Image

#88 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,672 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:28 PM

And you're surprised at this?

#89 Slender Man

Slender Man

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,820 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:46 PM

What? Timmy is against gay marriage?

You don't say...

Posted Image

~ FREE iE. ~

#90 Slaytanic Wehrmacht

Slaytanic Wehrmacht

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:54 PM

Kudos to Timmeh for continuing his trend of having a spotlight directly on him :picard: Shut the **** up and concentrate on hockey. If this is what you've taken a year off for, because you actually think anyone really gives a DAMN what you think on these issues, I'd strongly suggest you go back to your day job.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.