197 replies to this topic

#121 SukhKular

SukhKular

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:14 AM

The bible also says that slavery is good. Don't take that precious book of yours too seriously there Timmy T.

I hate when religious nuts pick and chose what they want to believe in the bible.

He's probably okay with it as well. Dude thinks it's like 1952 or something.
I'm saying Aladeen a lot because http://forum.canucks...dpost__10922428

I bet when Schneider turns 38, he will have broken all of Luongo's records.

Posted Image

General Manager of Buffalo Sabres; CDC Omega League; CM Connected; NHL 13; [[[[PS3]]]]

#122 Slaytanic Wehrmacht

Slaytanic Wehrmacht

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:16 AM

The bible also says that slavery is good. Don't take that precious book of yours too seriously there Timmy T.

I hate when religious nuts pick and chose what they want to believe in the bible.

Yeah, a book full of murder, deception, lies, incest, adultery, unwarranted aggression and hearsay is exactly what I want to teach MY future kids morals from.
Posted Image

#123 JLumme

JLumme

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,106 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:24 AM

POPULAR

Yeah, a book full of murder, deception, lies, incest, adultery, unwarranted aggression and hearsay is exactly what I want to teach MY future kids morals from.

Spoiler alert!

#124 JLumme

JLumme

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,106 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:56 AM

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...y-marriage.html

I think this is relevant to this topic, on the good news front.

"Amazon CEO gives $2.5M to support gay marriage law"

#125 Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,729 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:35 AM

Thomas is using the spotlight on him in the wrong way for almost a year now.
Posted Image

#126 SukhKular

SukhKular

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:49 AM

Thomas is using the spotlight on him in the wrong way for almost a year now.

He reminds me of that kid in every elementary school class that never shuts up, even when the teach moves his desk into a corner to keep him from distracting the other students. They usually eat boogers, too.

Edited by SukhKular, 27 July 2012 - 09:50 AM.

Posted Image

General Manager of Buffalo Sabres; CDC Omega League; CM Connected; NHL 13; [[[[PS3]]]]

#127 babych

babych

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,107 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:51 AM

I totally support gay marriage - as long as both girls are hot.

BAZINGA!
(shiznak@Jun 17 2008, 08:00 PM)
Kesler was lucky to score 20 this year since the injury to Morrison allowed him to do so.

I doubt Kesler would ever break 15 goals in his career again.

#128 Hobble

Hobble

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,634 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:54 AM

I totally support gay marriage - just think of the beautiful wedding that Bieber and Gomez will have!

BAZINGA!

#129 SukhKular

SukhKular

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:02 AM

I totally support gay marriage - as long as both girls are hot.

BAZINGA!

Funny. In all seriousness, it is none of my business who marries who. Unless one of them is me.

Posted Image

#130 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,674 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:16 AM

It's funny, for someone who keeps harping on people hijacking this thread, you're doing a bang up job hijacking it with your complaints about it being hijacked.

<_<

#131 Ovech Trick

Ovech Trick

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:17 AM

POPULAR

Saying gay marriage is agaisnt your religion is like yelling at some1 for eating a donut while you're on a diet.
Posted Image

Capitalist Hockey League - Minnesota Wild GM

#132 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,674 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:22 AM

So...how's them 9/11 conversations going? Major relevance to Tim Thomas, I see.

Maybe he was one of the pilots; after all, why is this being talked about here?

#133 JRem

JRem

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:28 AM

Yes, Tim Thomas has the right to voice his opinion. As an American citizen, he has the right to give his opinions. However, as he makes these statements public, people have every right to challenge his opinions. Those of you saying "it's his right so speak, leave him alone" are hilarious. So he can have his say in a public forum like his facebook and nobody can challenge him on it?

And while he's not so-called "hate-mongering" he is promoting prejudice. Yep, I said it. It's prejudice. Denying another human being the simple rights and freedoms that he enjoys every day is prejudice. There is no difference between racism and homophobia in that they are both forms of prejudice and intolerance.

You may debate all day whether people are born gay, or if there's a gay gene, or if homosexuality is a choice. The point, why does that even matter? It shouldn't. Denying someone basic human rights based on one's sexuality however, should matter.

Some of you have also noted that those here denouncing Tim Thomas' views as intolerant, are intolerant ourselves. I will admit it, I am intolerant of anyone who believes themselves superior to anyone else for reasons of race, sexual orientation, religion etc. If we were never intolerant of prejudice and hatred, where would we be now?

What if humanity had never stood up for the rights of women, of black slaves? What of religious freedom? You claim that calling out bigotry is to be intolerant in itself. You may call it whatever you want, but those who attempt to deny others their rights and freedoms don't deserve tolerance.

/thread

Well said sir.

#134 NuckFanLivingInCalgary:(

NuckFanLivingInCalgary:(

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:48 AM

One thing I find very interesting when reading discussions about religion is I tend to side on the side of religion, even though I have no beliefs. This is because I find atheists to be very aggressive and very unaccepting (why the hell isn't that a word?) of other people's beliefs.

Just something I've noticed.
Go Canucks Go!!!

#135 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,118 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:52 AM

One thing I find very interesting when reading discussions about religion is I tend to side on the side of religion, even though I have no beliefs.  This is because I find atheists to be very aggressive and very unaccepting (why the hell isn't that a word?) of other people's beliefs.

Interesting viewpoint. So you're saying that we're being "unaccepting" of Thomas' and Cathy's right to be bigots?
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#136 babych

babych

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,107 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:09 AM

Funny. In all seriousness, it is none of my business who marries who. Unless one of them is me.

100% agreed!
(shiznak@Jun 17 2008, 08:00 PM)
Kesler was lucky to score 20 this year since the injury to Morrison allowed him to do so.

I doubt Kesler would ever break 15 goals in his career again.

#137 Tystick

Tystick

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:35 AM

Do they?

As far as I can tell, it's a minority of narrow-minded, and/or orthodox religious people who think this.

Sorry, I didn't mean it like that, and you're absolutely right! I meant IF there was a majority of people who felt it was best for society to ban gay marriage, that shouldn't be factored in. It's not someone else's right to decide how someone lives their life. You think we as humans would have evolved past this by now.
Posted Image

#138 Stefan

Stefan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,389 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:37 PM

Interesting viewpoint. So you're saying that we're being "unaccepting" of Thomas' and Cathy's right to be bigots?

Haha.
Bigotry is acceptable, as long as its in the bible.
Don't be ignorant dude.
Now where's my pre teen daughter to have sex with, and my jews to work on my house for free.

gallery_9059_470_12899.jpg

(1 Peter 2:18)

Slaves, be subject to your masters with all reverence, not only to those who are good and equitable but also to those who are perverse.

#139 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,118 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:06 PM

Haha.
Bigotry is acceptable, as long as its in the bible.
Don't be ignorant dude.
Now where's my pre teen daughter to have sex with, and my jews to work on my house for free.

You'll have to explain to me what was "ignorant" about my post. I responded to a post that stated sympathy with the religious side of the argument, because the non-religious side was "unaccepting".

I pointed out that being against something (in this case gay marriage rights) is pretty much the definition of "unaccepting", as in "we don't accept the rights of gays to enjoy the same freedoms that the straight community enjoys".
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#140 kilgore

kilgore

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,404 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:14 PM

One thing I find very interesting when reading discussions about religion is I tend to side on the side of religion, even though I have no beliefs. This is because I find atheists to be very aggressive and very unaccepting (why the hell isn't that a word?) of other people's beliefs.

You "tend to side of the side of religion" even though you "have no beliefs"? Sure thing bud.

OF COURSE atheists are "unaccepting" of a religious belief. Just as Christians are "unaccepting" of atheist non-beliefs. So what?

And if you don't think fundamentalist Christians cannot be aggressive with preaching their viewpoint I don't know what planet you live on.

What gets me is Timmies hypocrisy. I respect his right to say whatever he wants, but he makes a fool out of himself, like all the other Tea Party nutjobs, by saying on one hand he is for "freedom" and getting government out of his life, and on the other hand he demands that the government tell him and his fellow countryfolk who he can and cannot marry.

#141 Mr.DirtyDangles

Mr.DirtyDangles

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,858 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:51 PM

Who knew Timmy was opposed to the big bear :bigblush: ?

bmw-e30-m3-drift-o.gif

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society 

-Krishnamurti-            

#142 Dragonfruits

Dragonfruits

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,495 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:53 PM

i really don't understand his thought process on this one seriously he wants a private life and knows he is a public figure yet he thinks he can send out these opinions of his and think everyone will leave him alone

#143 Red Light Racicot

Red Light Racicot

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,449 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:15 PM

POPULAR

Banning gay marriage is unconstitutional anyways, so I cant understand how anyone can justify it.

You cant trample on the rights of the individual because of one groups religious beliefs.

If you dont believe in same sex marriage, then you dont have to marry a gay person. And that should be the end of it.

#144 Fudd

Fudd

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:27 PM

Absolutely! But of course, homosexuality and racism are TWO TOTALITY DIFFERENT THINGS!!!

yes, homosexuality and racism are two completely things. homophobia and racism however, are a bit more alike.

or you could also call it heterosexism.

Edited by Fudd, 27 July 2012 - 02:28 PM.

#145 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,633 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:30 PM

I don't get why anyone cares what he has to say. He doesn't even play in the NHL anymore. Get over it.

Pineapple_jumps.gifPineapple_jumps.gif

#146 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,791 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:23 PM

Yes, Tim Thomas has the right to voice his opinion. As an American citizen, he has the right to give his opinions. However, as he makes these statements public, people have every right to challenge his opinions. Those of you saying "it's his right so speak, leave him alone" are hilarious. So he can have his say in a public forum like his facebook and nobody can challenge him on it?

This...

He has the right to state his beliefs, but he does not have the right to be unopposed and do it consequence free. It is part of being a grown up, if you want to be a douche... people get to call you a douche.

On top of being a morally reprehensible opinion, it is also very much against his own stated politics of being a Libertarian. By definition, Libertarians are socially very left wing as they believe people are free to do whatever they want without the government telling them otherwise.

He is part of the hypocritical "Evangelical Libertarian" movement in the U.S. who believe that the government shouldn't be allowed to tell people what to do because that is what God is for. If you don't believe in their particular version of God, then you don't get to have rights.
Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!

#147 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,791 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:31 PM

God hates figs...

True... look it up. Not a typo.

There are dozens of things in the bible that are supposed to be evil, but I bet Timmy doesn't pay attention to those ones.
Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!

#148 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,118 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:18 PM

God hates figs...

True... look it up.  Not a typo.  

There are dozens of things in the bible that are supposed to be evil, but I bet Timmy doesn't pay attention to those ones.

I'm pretty sure he hates trailer parks too....

...just look at how many of them get trashed by tornados every year....

#149 Tragoedia

Tragoedia

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:32 PM

And while he's not so-called "hate-mongering" he is promoting prejudice. Yep, I said it. It's prejudice. Denying another human being the simple rights and freedoms that he enjoys every day is prejudice. There is no difference between racism and homophobia in that they are both forms of prejudice and intolerance.

You may debate all day whether people are born gay, or if there's a gay gene, or if homosexuality is a choice. The point, why does that even matter? It shouldn't. Denying someone basic human rights based on one's sexuality however, should matter.

Some of you have also noted that those here denouncing Tim Thomas' views as intolerant, are intolerant ourselves. I will admit it, I am intolerant of anyone who believes themselves superior to anyone else for reasons of race, sexual orientation, religion etc. If we were never intolerant of prejudice and hatred, where would we be now?

What if humanity had never stood up for the rights of women, of black slaves? What of religious freedom? You claim that calling out bigotry is to be intolerant in itself. You may call it whatever you want, but those who attempt to deny others their rights and freedoms don't deserve tolerance.

Exactly.
He definitely has his right to his opinion, but when he publicly states it, we have the right to challenge it. One cannot behind freedom of expression to avoid others voicing their own opinions freely. That is how it works.
People should be allowed to say whatever they believe, even if it is controversial, or even bigoted. Rush Limbaugh or Pat Robertson should be allowed to spew their crap, but in return, everyone else has to shame them by voicing their opinions against them.
So when Thomas voices his opinions on this matter, as he is allowed to, we are then in turn allowed to voice are opinions on his opinion. And no he doesn't get a free pass for statements just because he stands by them. If I stood up and said something along the lines of "black people have no souls" or something equally terrible, would any of you credit me for standing by my beliefs?

61c1f524-b05e-4da1-b54d-e7ac1d87c904.jpg

#150 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 25,442 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:08 PM

:picard:

Right when Brian and Patrick Burke and so many of the game's best players are working so hard with the You Can Play campaign too. I never thought I could lose 100% of my respect for an athlete but Thomas is making it pretty easy for me to do.
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.