197 replies to this topic

#151 Stefan

Stefan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:16 PM

You'll have to explain to me what was "ignorant" about my post. I responded to a post that stated sympathy with the religious side of the argument, because the non-religious side was "unaccepting".

I pointed out that being against something (in this case gay marriage rights) is pretty much the definition of "unaccepting", as in "we don't accept the rights of gays to enjoy the same freedoms that the straight community enjoys".

Uhh... Did you completely ignore my entire message aside from the ignorant part or something?
A toddler could tell I was joking and actually siding with you... Re-read it... Especially the end.

gallery_9059_470_12899.jpg

(1 Peter 2:18)

Slaves, be subject to your masters with all reverence, not only to those who are good and equitable but also to those who are perverse.

#152 Mustapha

Mustapha

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,869 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:44 PM

POPULAR

I'm not saying Thomas is either right or wrong, but I think he has his own right to say what he wants and do what he wants without being judged for it like this.

If he has the right to say it (especially in public) then we have the right to criticize and or agree with it.

If he doesn't want people to question his stance on human rights, then he should keep his opinions to himself.
Posted Image

What are you talking about? The Flames are one of the teams that gets good value contracts

#153 nuckin_futz

nuckin_futz

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:02 PM

From the OP's post .....................

BOSTON (CBS) — The mayor of Boston generated a bit of a buzz with his letter damning Chick-Fil-A and its stance against same-sex marriages, but chances are Bruins goalie Tim Thomas is about to generate a whole lot more.
Thomas, currently beginning his one year away from hockey, posted to his ever-controversial Facebook page on Thursday afternoon, offering support for Chick-Fil-A amid the national debate on the fast food chain.
“I stand with Chick-fil-A,” Thomas wrote. “Chick-fil-A is privately owned by the Cathy family. The company president, Dan Cathy, drew the wrath of gay rights advocates and supporters when he made recent statements that some have alleged are anti-gay.”

*******************************************************************************************************

And now a little update. Looks like it isn't easy cleaning up verbal trash for a living.

Chick-fil-A's Vice President of Public Relations Dies of Heart Attack
[img]http://l2.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/tfXuOGOB82RMR5spD1eOQw--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9Zml0O2g9MjM-/http://l.yimg.com/os/590/2011/10/20/RR-logo_003910.png[/img]By Amy Bingham | ABC News – 7 hrs ago

Chick-fil-A's Vice President of Public Relations Don Perry died "suddenly" Friday morning, the company confirmed. Perry was based in the Atlanta area and worked in Chick-fil-A's corporate communications department.
Perry's death comes amid controversy this week over comments that Chick-fil-A's CEO Dan Cathy made against gay marriage. Cathy told the Baptist Press that he was "guilty as charged" for supporting "the biblical definition of the family unit."

http://news.yahoo.com/chick-fil-vice-president-public-relations-dies-heart-192201763--abc-news-politics.html

#154 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,008 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:54 PM

Uhh... Did you completely ignore my entire message aside from the ignorant part or something?
A toddler could tell I was joking and actually siding with you... Re-read it... Especially the end.

I disagree. I found the content of your previous post to be quite cryptic and when you quote a post of mine and then say "don't be ignorant dude", I don't know who you're referring to if it isn't me. Perhaps you should have quoted the person who was being "ignorant". :unsure:

BTW: Here's your post...

Haha.
Bigotry is acceptable, as long as its in the bible.
Don't be ignorant dude.
Now where's my pre teen daughter to have sex with, and my jews to work on my house for free.

I doubt that any "toddler" anywhere would have a clue what you're trying to say here...
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#155 Machine Gun Kelly

Machine Gun Kelly

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 08:48 AM

So why it is okay for him to be against Gay marriage, but not for me to be against religion? Thomas is an asshat anyways, I have 0 respect for him. Chara is a man, he will always have my respect.
Posted Image

#156 Vapourstreak

Vapourstreak

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 08:51 AM

So why it is okay for him to be against Gay marriage, but not for me to be against religion? Thomas is an asshat anyways, I have 0 respect for him. Chara is a man, he will always have my respect.

You're allowed being against religion as long as he is allowed being against Gay marriage. I only have a problem when someone who is against religion believes that one (Thomas) is not allowed to be against Gay marriage.

#157 SukhKular

SukhKular

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 10:36 AM

You're allowed being against religion as long as he is allowed being against Gay marriage. I only have a problem when someone who is against religion believes that one (Thomas) is not allowed to be against Gay marriage.

It's not that he's against it that bothers people. If I was gay, i wouldn't be sitting here thinking, "I wonder what some dumb hick thinks of me". Since when did Thomas' definition of "God" decide what marriage is. If I don't believe in whatever his religion is, I'm not "qualified" for marriage?

He's looking for attention. That's all.
I'm saying Aladeen a lot because http://forum.canucks...dpost__10922428

I bet when Schneider turns 38, he will have broken all of Luongo's records.

Posted Image

General Manager of Buffalo Sabres; CDC Omega League; CM Connected; NHL 13; [[[[PS3]]]]

#158 Slaytanic Wehrmacht

Slaytanic Wehrmacht

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 10:44 AM

Well, the fact that after the Old Testament, homosexuality itself wasn't even mentioned in the bible..except a vague reference to the word effeminate in 1 Corinthians 6:9-10..(and this is an obvious case of people extracting only the parts of a text that fit their own agendas) his religious preference as it relates to his bigotry, at least in this case, is irrelevant.
Posted Image

#159 Lockhart

Lockhart

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,279 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 10:46 AM

FYI

Religion had nothing to do with 9/11

The US government defends Israeli interests.

Israel have been torturing and murdering the Palestinian people for years, after invading their country.

The US also controls and defends middle eastern financial interests. They defend those interests with deadly force.

9/11 was about money and power, not religion.

So if the pilot didn't think he was going to heaven with a million virgins he would have still done it?

#160 iinteenseee

iinteenseee

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 07:39 PM

I think I rolled my eyes so far back I almost became blind.

If Thomas were to come out and make a racist statement about how he is against black people and supports slavery, does that mean his beliefs are still acceptable, just because he "pays taxes and he's entitled to an opinion in this 'free' country?" Pathetic.

Being able to spend the rest of your life with whomever you want is a basic human right. I can't believe there are still people in this world that are against homosexuality, it makes me lose more and more faith in humanity.. if I even had any to begin with.

#161 Mustapha

Mustapha

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,869 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 06:14 PM

So if the pilot didn't think he was going to heaven with a million virgins he would have still done it?

I wouldn't do it. Virgins make terrible sex partners, they lie there awkwardly.
Posted Image

What are you talking about? The Flames are one of the teams that gets good value contracts

#162 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,087 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 06:20 PM

You show respect towards a player with a hothead attitude that has deliberately tried to hurt players? I show more respect to Cooke because he at least has made a change and got his sht together.
Posted Image

#163 yogolol

yogolol

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 06:49 PM

I had a lot of respect for Thomas when he won the cup, knowing how hard it was for him to get there and all. Now though after this I lost all my respect for him, I didn't care that he didn't like Obama but once he starts discriminating against people, well you lose all my respect when you do that.
Watch my hockey tributes! http://www.youtube.c...urjesuss/videos

#164 SNACanuck

SNACanuck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:05 PM

I love Chick-fil-A. There chicken nuggets are the best. That and their sauce...

Now back to TT and his comments. We all have friends who have opinions we don't agree with. I've got plenty of friends that don't believe in gay marriage. Other than that they are great people. Am I going to be intolerant and stop being their friends because they don't believe what I do? Nope, that's straight ignorant and intolerant of their beliefs also. Maybe time and education will change them... and that's why you just don't throw out the baby with the bathwater.

Cheers, 

Canucks fan in SoCal

#165 MrsCanuck

MrsCanuck

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,629 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:17 AM

He's a moron because he knows what he's getting himself into.

He doesn't need to comment on the matter. He's in the public eye. He represents a multi-million dollar corporation.

If I was his boss I'd be hella pissed at him attracting all of this negative attention towards the organization because he does represent them.

Sounds like he's just looking for attention to me. He knows he'll get a reaction out of people.
Posted Image

#166 Cup2013?

Cup2013?

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:03 AM

The bible also says that slavery is good. Don't take that precious book of yours too seriously there Timmy T.

I hate when religious nuts pick and chose what they want to believe in the bible.

If you post something like this, you best have the scriptural references to back it.

#167 SukhKular

SukhKular

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:18 AM

If you post something like this, you best have the scriptural references to back it.

If there is an online bible somewhere, there could be references to support the dumbest of opinions. Nothing against Christianity or the bible, but people like to twist words to fit their own agenda.
I'm saying Aladeen a lot because http://forum.canucks...dpost__10922428

I bet when Schneider turns 38, he will have broken all of Luongo's records.

Posted Image

General Manager of Buffalo Sabres; CDC Omega League; CM Connected; NHL 13; [[[[PS3]]]]

#168 Cup2013?

Cup2013?

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:33 AM

If there is an online bible somewhere, there could be references to support the dumbest of opinions. Nothing against Christianity or the bible, but people like to twist words to fit their own agenda.

I wont argue with that at all.I know alot of Christians or people that call themselves Christians that twist the words/take scripture out of context.Now there are alot of people who are not Christians that do this too.My original post was simply stating that if he is going to make statements about the Bible like he did. He needs to back it up with the scriptural references. I am pursuing a career in ministry, I have studied the Bible. I do not necessarily no everything in it and most definitely dont understand everything in it (as not everything is supposed to be understood). I am quite sure that there isnt anywhere in Scripture where God is stating He is for slavery. Which is why I ask for the references to back it up.

#169 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:52 AM

Chick-fil-A's Vice President of Public Relations Dies of Heart Attack
[img]http://l2.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/tfXuOGOB82RMR5spD1eOQw--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9Zml0O2g9MjM-/http://l.yimg.com/os/590/2011/10/20/RR-logo_003910.png[/img]By Amy Bingham | ABC News – 7 hrs ago

Chick-fil-A's Vice President of Public Relations Don Perry died "suddenly" Friday morning, the company confirmed. Perry was based in the Atlanta area and worked in Chick-fil-A's corporate communications department.
Perry's death comes amid controversy this week over comments that Chick-fil-A's CEO Dan Cathy made against gay marriage. Cathy told the Baptist Press that he was "guilty as charged" for supporting "the biblical definition of the family unit."

http://news.yahoo.co...s-politics.html

God prefers Church's Chicken.

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#170 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:01 PM

"Give me two fire-breathing whores any day of the week". B)

*Warning - 'Salty' language...don't watch if you don't appreciate expletives, or if you're Amish*

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#171 Commercial Canuck

Commercial Canuck

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:11 PM

I don't recall the bible overtly stating that slavery was good, just that it said on how to treat slaves, as the bible was written during a time where slaves were a common form of economics.

"The Bible does not specifically condemn the practice of slavery. It gives instructions on how slaves should be treated (Deuteronomy 15:12-15; Ephesians 6:9; Colossians 4:1), but does not outlaw the practice altogether. Many see this as the Bible condoning all forms of slavery. What many people fail to understand is that slavery in Biblical times was very different from the slavery that was practiced in the past few centuries in many parts of the world. The slavery in the Bible was not based exclusively on race. People were not enslaved because of their nationality or the color of their skin. In Bible times, slavery was more of a social status. People sold themselves as slaves when they could not pay their debts or provide for their family. In New Testament times, sometimes doctors, lawyers, and even politicians were slaves of someone else. Some people actually chose to be slaves so as to have all their needs provided for by their master.

The slavery of the past few centuries was often based exclusively on skin color. Black people were considered slaves because of their nationality – many slave owners truly believed black people to be “inferior human beings” to white people. The Bible most definitely does condemn race-based slavery. Consider the slavery the Hebrews experienced when they were in Egypt. The Hebrew were slaves, not by choice, but because they were Hebrews (Exodus 13:14). The plagues God poured out on Egypt demonstrate how God feels about racial slavery (Exodus 7-11). So, yes, the Bible does condemn some forms of slavery. At the same time, the Bible does seem to allow for other forms of slavery. The key issue is that the slavery the Bible allowed for in no way resembled the racial slavery that plagued our world in the past few centuries.

Another crucial point is that the purpose of the Bible is to point the way to salvation, not to reform society. The Bible often approaches issues from the inside-out. If a person experiences the love, mercy, and grace of God, receiving His salvation – God will reform his soul, changing the way he thinks and acts. A person who has experienced God’s gift of salvation and freedom from the slavery of sin, as God reforms his soul, he will realize that enslaving another human being is wrong. A person who has truly experienced God’s grace will in turn be gracious towards others. That would be the Bible’s prescription for ending slavery."

Source: gotquestions. org

#172 Slaytanic Wehrmacht

Slaytanic Wehrmacht

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:13 PM

I don't recall the bible overtly stating that slavery was good, just that it said on how to treat slaves, as the bible was written during a time where slaves were a common form of economics.

"The Bible does not specifically condemn the practice of slavery. It gives instructions on how slaves should be treated (Deuteronomy 15:12-15; Ephesians 6:9; Colossians 4:1), but does not outlaw the practice altogether. Many see this as the Bible condoning all forms of slavery. What many people fail to understand is that slavery in Biblical times was very different from the slavery that was practiced in the past few centuries in many parts of the world. The slavery in the Bible was not based exclusively on race. People were not enslaved because of their nationality or the color of their skin. In Bible times, slavery was more of a social status. People sold themselves as slaves when they could not pay their debts or provide for their family. In New Testament times, sometimes doctors, lawyers, and even politicians were slaves of someone else. Some people actually chose to be slaves so as to have all their needs provided for by their master.

The slavery of the past few centuries was often based exclusively on skin color. Black people were considered slaves because of their nationality – many slave owners truly believed black people to be “inferior human beings” to white people. The Bible most definitely does condemn race-based slavery. Consider the slavery the Hebrews experienced when they were in Egypt. The Hebrew were slaves, not by choice, but because they were Hebrews (Exodus 13:14). The plagues God poured out on Egypt demonstrate how God feels about racial slavery (Exodus 7-11). So, yes, the Bible does condemn some forms of slavery. At the same time, the Bible does seem to allow for other forms of slavery. The key issue is that the slavery the Bible allowed for in no way resembled the racial slavery that plagued our world in the past few centuries.

Another crucial point is that the purpose of the Bible is to point the way to salvation, not to reform society. The Bible often approaches issues from the inside-out. If a person experiences the love, mercy, and grace of God, receiving His salvation – God will reform his soul, changing the way he thinks and acts. A person who has experienced God’s gift of salvation and freedom from the slavery of sin, as God reforms his soul, he will realize that enslaving another human being is wrong. A person who has truly experienced God’s grace will in turn be gracious towards others. That would be the Bible’s prescription for ending slavery."

Source: gotquestions. org

And considering the ancient world in which anything the bible had to say was relevant, you may have a point. As it relates to the Modern world, though, the entire text should be taken with a grain of salt, if not less.
Posted Image

#173 gwarrior

gwarrior

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:31 PM

im so sick of tim thomas and his opinions. the guy obviously loves to make an ass out of himself, he hides behind his facebook page to justify skipping the white house visit, taking a year off, now this. every time i think hes done the stupidest thing possible, he drains more water out of the pool!!

#174 JLumme

JLumme

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,106 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:48 PM

And all that screaming too.

#175 stawns

stawns

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,864 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 04:51 PM

No human being should be denied basic human rights based on religion, political beliefs, sexual orientations etc etc.........this is the fundemental tenent of the Charter of Human Rights and Freedoms.........I'm all for free speech until you start denying people their basic human rights........especially when it has no effect on any one else's life, in any way

#176 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,351 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:44 PM

"Give me two fire-breathing whores any day of the week". B)

*Warning - 'Salty' language...don't watch if you don't appreciate expletives, or if you're Amish*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdNqUW5wwTE

I just NEVER get tired of Billy .. keen perspective .. :lol:

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#177 Kumquats

Kumquats

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:48 PM

With a mustache like that? :bigblush:
Posted Image

#178 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,669 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:50 PM

here's an online Bible - go: http://www.biblegateway.com/

#179 Hotdawg

Hotdawg

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:31 AM

I agree with TT. Gay marriage is a communist joke and you are all falling for it Morons! No surprise for me thanks to your single mothers!

#180 Hotdawg

Hotdawg

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:41 AM

Mk Ultra people disgust me. You people are all Mk Ultra..so sad. When did a child needing a mother and a father ever leave common sense?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.